When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad deal advice sought

tedbearz

I purchased a modded PAM 111H SWISS SWAN NECK in June from a member with fairly extensive history. The watch right off the bat was fast I attributed

this to a break in period. Recently it been gaining several minutes a day.

When I contacted him he attributed this to a regulation issue. When I contacted him again he told me he bought this watch from another member and that's how he got it.

I think he is passing the buck.

Shouldn't he be responsible for any repairs to the watch. He also not be responsive to the mails I sent. What should I do?

This was his ad for the watch

This is a modded PAM 111H SWISS SWAN NECK that I picked up from another

member.

1. Started off as Eddie Lee's best PAM 111H: Great case

2. Cannon pin fixed

3. Lume job done

4. Modded dial to avoid the L SWISS MADE L squished up against the "6"

5. Fully serviced by a watchsmith; new crown stem installed and has a

nice winding feel to it.

This is a tough call but, I see it this way. You purchased a used watch with no express or implied warranty. It could therefore, be assumed by both parties that the purchase would be as is. There is also the possibility that the watch was affected during the shipping process. The seller in this case, would not appear to be liable for repair if the watch did not run properly. Although, it certainly would be commendable if the buyer would accept responsibility. However, you might inquire if the watchmaker guaranteed his service. If so, you should have recourse and be able to return the watch to him for regulation.

1. Started off as Eddie Lee's best PAM 111H: Great case

First, I am not experienced enough to give you feedback on this, but I wish you luck. Also, this situation reminds me of why I would sell straps in a heartbeat, but never a watch...

Secondly, have you noticed that Eddie Lee watches are always on sale in the Member Trade sections of the forums? Always. Rarely do you come across a DSN.

Reminds me of what my mum says, that BMWs one can find in AutoTraders by the dozen. But Mercedeses not nearly as many. There's a reason for that, my friends.

IF (?) the movement was fully serviced, it should be within a few seconds per day, for the next 5 or so years...

The best thing to do in any of these situations, is first off ask who the "Watchsmith" was that did the work, then before purchasing the watch, contact the watchsmith and verify that the work was indeed done.

There are some who do a so-called "Lube" without actually taking anything apart. This is nothing more than a scam, as no one can tell the amount of oil a movement needs, without actually cleaning all the old oil out of the movement, which requires the movement be disassembled completely. Anyone who offers to oil your watch, without taking it apart, is a hack...

I just had one of these "lubed" 6497's in for work, it was so over oiled, it would not run...I took pictures of it and send them to the owner, he was shocked. The watch was so over-oiled that when I removed the pallet arm (which frees the movement) the wheels spun for 12-20 seconds... a correctly oiled watch should run until the mainspring is completely unwound.

Watches dont' need any break in period, they are supposed to be regulated after serviced. A watch that runs fast, is a watch that needs to be serviced or was over oiled... If your watch starting running fast several minutes a day...you have problems...

RG

As Ziggy just pointed out the thing that grabbed me was the claim of being serviced by a watchsmith, you should find out who it was because something is not right about a movement running so fast when it is fresh back from a service.

Ken

As The Zigmeister just pointed out the thing that grabbed me was the claim of being serviced by a watchsmith, you should find out who it was because something is not right about a movement running so fast when it is fresh back from a service.

Ken

It should be noted in the for sale section that if a watch is advertised as being serviced, that a receipt or reference be given in the advertisement.

It's far too easy to say that a watch has been serviced and potential buyers are none-the-wiser.

I'm not suggesting that this happened in the case but i'm sure it does happen.

• 2 months later...

Hairspring is likely magnetized, which causes the coils to stick together. This reduces the spring's effective length and makes the balance wheel (and watch) run faster than normal. This is the most common cause for a watch running fast after a service. Either the watch was never demagnetized by the watchmaker or the watch was placed in or near a magnetic field sometime afterwards. A quick & easy fix for any professional watchmaker.

One on hand .... seller should allways advise buyer for any issues of the watch prior to the purchase.

On the other hand you bought a used watch.

To my opinion ..... get the watch fixed / regulated with a local watchsmith ... and split the cost.

May I point out that it is easy to have a watch that runs fast and not know it.

I may wear a watch for one day - wind and set it first thing in the morining, wear it the entire day, put it in the watch box at the end of the day, then not wear it again for a month. Only if I wear the same watch several days in a row would I notice if it ran fast. The only exception to this rule is my watches that are in the watch winder. These should be time-wise right on when they are pulled out of the winder in the morning.

Many people sell watches that have been sitting unworn in a drawer.

I am sure I can find some of my watches that have not seen daylight in a year or more!