When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish, Swiss vs. Asian, side by side

fotoman

how can you tell?? they move differently?? smoothness??

thanks

Ok, the BCE is a chronograph (stopwatch) using an Asian copy movement. The Fish uses a Swiss ETA 2824, just like the genuine Breitling.

There's no way to tell without opening them up, basically. They both operate exactly like their genuine counterparts.

(...) The Fish uses a Swiss ETA 2824, just like the genuine Breitling.

There's no way to tell without opening them up, basically. They both operate exactly like their genuine counterparts.

Just to have everything said, there ARE also Swiss SFSO which come with the Sellita SW200 instead of the ETA (remember Azerbyjam thread). If the movement is basically as good as the ETA, it is NOT an ETA, and therefore I would not make the difference in quality of movements, but as Phoband said, "only" on the AR. That's a bit expensive (for me).

just wondering how much is that swiss movement alone?? are they really that expensive??

also if these are automatic watches does it mean they will suddenly stop running if they have not been weared say overnight??

cos that's what happened to my crappy chinese omega replica, and it just stopped when i was not wearing it, it was a bit pointless then cos i want it at least to keep the time... as a watch...

just wondering how much is that swiss movement alone?? are they really that expensive??

also if these are automatic watches does it mean they will suddenly stop running if they have not been weared say overnight??

You should get 2 days before it runs out.

The Swiss movement isn't that expensive, but the AR-coated Sapphire doesn't help keep costs down.

Lest we forget, the Asian Fish has Mineral Glass, not Sapphire.

You should get 2 days before it runs out.

The Swiss movement isn't that expensive, but the AR-coated Sapphire doesn't help keep costs down.

Lest we forget, the Asian Fish has Mineral Glass, not Sapphire.

Something like 80-90 dollars now ?

My "water drop test" on the Asian says Sapphire... But as it's not a 100% reliable test, I have no mean to secure this information. The only way would be to try to scratch the crystal...and guess what ? :lol:

hey guys just wondering how does a $300 gen compare with this $300 super-rep??

Find a gen with an ETA movement, Stainless Steel, AR Sapphire and 1000M water resistance for $300.

(Yeah, I know. Find a rep with resale value and a warranty. Swings and roundabouts.)

I need to chime in!

I just got the swiss sosf in blue and the AR is amazing. When I looked at it I thought there was no crystal at all.

I have a gen Tag link chrono, and the sosf blows it away.

What other watched compare to the quailty of this rep?

I need to chime in!

I just got the swiss sosf in blue and the AR is amazing. When I looked at it I thought there was no crystal at all.

I have a gen Tag link chrono, and the sosf blows it away.

What other watched compare to the quailty of this rep?

NONE compare.. quality and price of both the Asian SFSO and Swiss SFSO are unbeatable. plus the watch is 99.9% accurate to the Gen! Good purchase. Pug confirmed earlier that many of the things that people initialy thought were flaws with this watch are in fact not flaws, because of Breitlings change in 2007 to the SFSO X-plus, which changed subtle details of the Gen 2007 watch and our watch makers based the model off the newer gen! congrats

NONE compare.. quality and price of both the Asian SFSO and Swiss SFSO are unbeatable. plus the watch is 99.9% accurate to the Gen! Good purchase. Pug confirmed earlier that many of the things that people initialy thought were flaws with this watch are in fact not flaws, because of Breitlings change in 2007 to the SFSO X-plus, which changed subtle details of the Gen 2007 watch and our watch makers based the model off the newer gen! congrats

I have 2 BCE's and have to disagree with you there. Short of the movement being Asian, the newest so-called "ultimate BCE" is 100% faithful to the gen.

*edit* okay the bezel ring slightly obstructs the view of the tachy - so 99.9%

Weak lume - just like the gen

120 click bezel - just like the gen - that actually lines up properly (unlike the SOSF).

bracelet - exact weight, correct model number on last links, date code on centre just like gen

AR - double sided, perfect, just like gen.

Cheaper than the SOSF

Anyone short of an expert would have to open it up to know for sure - short of checking the serial against the Breitling database (it would fool most AD's that deal with more than one brand).

Some would say the SOSF is more faithful 'cause of the movement - but once your AD opens it up it's a dead giveaway. Not to mention the fact that your bezel is misaligned (I don't know if it's the proper 120 click, could someone tell me?).

Oh yeah, regarding the date window - my guy at LaSwiss (AD in Canada) told me that the boys at Breitling have been know to screw with the photos of their watches by putting off tiny details to create secret "tells" and make it difficult for counterfeiters and easier for the dealers since their brand has been so heavily replicated since the '70's. This may or may not be one of them (or even true for that matter) - who knows.

Edited by giorgio