When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish, Swiss vs. Asian, side by side

fotoman

i didn't take a photo, but i held the 2 watches side by side and the AR is EVERYTHING - EVERYTHING

let me repeat - EVERYTHING

the dial is cloudy in the asian version where as the swiss its sharp and sparkles and is BAMB (note, its the crystal not the dial that is cloudy)

the watch is nice - but its the difference between a nice watch and a special watch

if you never had AR and you can't afford 300 bucks, go for it. i'm giving them out as gifts, i'm sure the people will LOVE them. But i'm not going to let them see mine :) Cause once you have a super AR watch in the collection - forget about it. :)

Now - i don't know if it fixes it to do a chieftang AR which gives you a nice watch at like under 200. as far as i know no one has done that yet. But, if i were ambitious, i could take 20 of those, at silix pricing do the chief AR - and sell them for 210 shipped - nice little profit and they would go quick i think :)

Enjoy

You're on the money Pho-

It's funny that you're outlining the problem that I was wrestling with for a couple of weeks- whether to get the SFSO without AR.

Can you tell me if the swiss one that you had was a white dialed Steelfish? Cause what I'd kept hearing was that the white one didn't necessitate AR as much as the darker dials, and therefore was the asian version of choice. This caused me sleepless nights, I'm not joking. Welll....I am joking, it wasn't that stressful, but it was significant stress!! :lol:

I ended up getting the white dial ETA version with AR, because as you know, we're both AR freaks and I knew I'd be [censored] even if it wasn't as visible or required on the white version.

PS- I just got a Cousteau, and the AR on this watch, with the blue dial, is absolutely stunning. Unbelievable.

thats pretty close to what i saw as in pug's photos - But, i had both Blue asian and swiss So i could really see Apples to Apples, and it just looked liked you needed to clean the crystal :) Foggy :)

i also have a black asian.

haven't seen the white one in person Mez, but dark definitely needs the Ar

That's all fine and dandy, but how can one compare a white dial with AR to a black dial without?

I wish someone had the same version (i.e 2 whites, or 2 blues) to compare side by side.

You take what you can get. If my Fish weren't certified waterproof to silly depths, I'd open it and swap movements, but that's not going to happen.

I doubt anyone would buy the same watch in Swiss and Asian, so we'll be waiting a while for those comparisons.

I doubt anyone would buy the same watch in Swiss and Asian, so we'll be waiting a while for those comparisons.

If a few people who had white Asian versions took pics of their watches it would probably help a lot of people in their decision.

The pics don't have to be from the same source, as long as there are similar conditions.

Obviously no one's going to buy 2 versions of the same watch (unless they bought the Asian one first and it really is that bad.

Well, this thread made my day... I ordered the BL swiss ..Blue Dial last week ... was going to order the blk in Asian today but decided to pull the trigger on the Swiss instead .... ordered it about 2 hours ago.... thanks for the confirmation ...

I was really close to ordering a black dialed SFSO because of all that has been said about the white one not needing the AR, and the darker dials 'showing' the effect of the AR to a significantly larger degree.

Chieftang said that his favourite watch that he's got AR'd was the VCO in the white dial. I'm guessing that the white dial still benefits from the AR, but that it isn't as 'necessary' as it is with the darker dials. Pug, you can probably attest to it, being that you've got the white-dialed version. It seems like it still improves the clarity of the dial significantly, but that white dials don't create as much glare naturally.

I'm torn as to whether I should've got the black one in an ETA, and then gone with an asian for the white. I really like the black one, and it's probably the least popular of the three colour options. But I would have to get the gen rubber if I got the black- that's the combo that I probably like the most- but that would add another 90 bucks to the watch, and then I ask myself: "when would I wear the black dial SFSO on black rubber, instead of my HBB that has a black dial and is on black rubber".

I felt my collection would be better filled by a different niche, which would be a white-dialed watch.

That's what it was about for me, too...but because of that, it really ate at me that I would drop an extra $200 just for the AR, which I'm sure costs the rep factory $20 at the most. I've gone on about this ad nauseum...so I'll stop now. What bugs me is that I eventually caved to the notion....even though the ETA is obviously a value-adder as well.

It's funny- I never really cared a whole lot about date-fonts. Maybe on my MBW 16610 I do a bit, but not on my other watches really. I guess everyone has their 'pet issues'. AR is mine for sure...and that's why I'm irritated with the SFSO pricing situation between the asian and ETA. If it was like the uPO's, whereby the asian has the same AR as the ETA, but just the movement is different, I wouldn't have thought twice about going with the asian SFSO.

Edited by mezzanine

Chieftang said that his favourite watch that he's got AR'd was the VCO in the white dial. I'm guessing that the white dial still benefits from the AR, but that it isn't as 'necessary' as it is with the darker dials. Pug, you can probably attest to it, being that you've got the white-dialed version. It seems like it still improves the clarity of the dial significantly, but that white dials don't create as much glare naturally.

The AR helps, even on a white dial. Sometimes, the crystal just disappears. Totally beautiful.

this might help...heres the deal, if you dont want to spend $300++ for a different mvmt and lack of AR you should go with the asian version with white dial!! how can you compare a white dial with AR to a black dial without AR. not a fair comparison. darker dials show glare MUCH more than a white dial. the pic below shows 2 breitlings WITHOUT AR. one with a dark dial (lots of refecltions) and the white dial (very little refections).

299892-3054.jpg

so is the blue or black Swiss version more accurate?? as in closer to the gen?? anyone?

or they are exactly the same in accuracy just different colour??

All three Swiss versions are equally as accurate, but some people believe the black and blue versions need the AR more. :D