When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe Nautilus vs. AP Royal Oak Jumbo

mezzanine

Both models are Genta designs, and both fill a similar niche. I'm curious about which is the more impressive rep. There are only a few members that are qualified to be able to answer...Ubi, Euno, Stephane off the top of my head...maybe some dealers as well (TTK). But my question is: if you had to choose just one, which one would it be and why?

I'm referring to the MBW models for both watches. They're similarly priced, and although it seems as though the purchase of one seems to inspire the later purchase of the other, they are two of a kind.

I think there's more hype around the Nautilus right now. I believe that MBK only started offering the Jumbo version relatively recently. There may be a skewing of the results because of the newness of the Patek. If I'm correct, neither are high fidelity copies. Both have flaws that conceivably would be 'tells' for WIS. The Nauty has some dial issues...at least the blue dialed one, and the AP has a solid caseback, when I believe it's supposed to be exposed.

My first impression was that I would prefer the AP RO Jumbo. I really like the bezel with the screws, as well as the bracelet. The fact that there isn't a decent rep of the Royal Oak Offshore also makes the Royal Oak more appealing, as there isn't really another way to get the AP signature without going with the MBW RO Jumbo model.

But after seeing Ubi's pictures of the blue-dialed Nautilus, I was enchanted. The dial is gorgeous, if not perfectly correct. The bracelet is nice, although if I was choosing between the two, I'd probably say that the AP is more appealing to me. The bezel has a strange effect on the overall presentation of the watch. I think it's the bezel that gives the Nautilus it's divisive quality that causes people to either love or hate it.

As an aside, even though it is probably an offensive notion to most, I am probably going to get the crystal on the Nautilus (blue dial) AR coated. I know that it's totally wrong for the model...especially since it's supposed to be from the 70's, but that dial begs to have an AR crystal to make it really pop.

Considering it's not a 'correct' model, and the chances of anyone actually knowing what it's supposed to be, the idea of personalizing it in that way doesn't really bother me that much. You could always say it was done aftermarket....I really don't think it's as much a sin as it's made out to be. If we were talking about getting the crystal to a Rolex or Panerai that is not meant to have AR, then I think it has more relevance.

Both of these watches IMO are as good as it gets. MBWMBK quality in reps is unequalled.

Both of these watches are beautiful timepieces.

For me the kicker is that I prefer automatic watches with seconds hands.

Gerald Genta designs are quite simply the top shelf. He was also responsible for the IWC Ingy design. That watch and the AP RO as well as the orignial Nautilus (both designed in the 70's) are still considered 'state of the art'. Either of these two MBW's are as nice a watch as one could own.

As I have mentioned in other threads, ref: the Nautilus, since receiving this watch, I have not taken it off. For me it is quite simply the MOST BEAUTIFUL WATCH I own. I can understand however, why some would say the same about the AP RO. Classic design.

Gerald Genta is still the foremost designer of fine timepieces. It was recently announced that he will now design for Hubolt. I can't wait to see what will replace the Big Bang, a watch that currently is at the top of its game.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me this is the one.

post-22-1187491794_thumb.jpg

You could always say it was done aftermarket.....

This is not possible, in the GEN Nautilus dial roman numeral (37 mm) is not compatible in blue dial reference(43 mm). And you dont find a GEN or aftermarket dial whit standard markers and ring of seconds. This dial not exist.

This dial exist onli in the chinese/taiwanese product, but if you have a gen ( price

I got them both aswell. Id say the ap ro was the one i started wearing straight away. it has such a fantastisc presence, and i looks a wee bit bigger than the nautilus. Also the bracelet is to die for. I got the black faced one, and it really is amazing.

But then again, i dont wear anything but the two now. I have a closet full off super good reps, and i really dont wear them, since i got these two.

im wondering if my soon to be delivered eod will change this:-)

But if you are looking for a set of classy watches, go for the set. It doesnt get any better imo.

Do we have the mis-conception all along? APROJ, yes, a MBW. But the PPNJ is never meant to be a MBW.

Seen personally the PPNJ has a quality no where near to the APROJ. I have taken the PPNJ but have it returned for so poor workmanship.

Do we have the mis-conception all along? APROJ, yes, a MBW. But the PPNJ is never meant to be a MBW.

Seen personally the PPNJ has a quality no where near to the APROJ. I have taken the PPNJ but have it returned for so poor workmanship.

Poor? In what ways. I've read only good things. I even have the $150 40mm Nautilus from WBK. Even that one is fine if you can overlook the big crown.

Poor? In what ways. I've read only good things. I even have the $150 40mm Nautilus from WBK. Even that one is fine if you can overlook the big crown.

I have listed them all out in another post. Basically the watch is returned and refunded.

I have listed them all out in another post. Basically the watch is returned and refunded.

Any chance you could link to that post? cant seem to find it. Im very curious about this.

Both watches are manufactured the same place, and i see no difference in the craftmanship at all. They even have the same movement.

Any chance you could link to that post? cant seem to find it. Im very curious about this.

Both watches are manufactured the same place, and i see no difference in the craftmanship at all. They even have the same movement.

Here you are.

PPNJ Quality Issue

It is back to Thailand for land reclamation.

man, im sorry to hear this. Just get another one. even mbws have qc issues. My eod had severe problems when i got it, so i sent it back aswell.

We just have to be glad our dealers offer this amazing service. Imagine being stuck with a 400 eu paperweight.

When you get the right one, youll be in heaven. It is an amazing piece.

Looks to me like you should avoid MBW/MBK watches.

Your complaint concerning craftsmanship of these pieces is the only one I can find from any of the members of the forum.

To say that the current PP Nautilus is not 'meant' to be a MBW makes no sense. It IS a MBW. I would say that the watch you received (PPN) was not a MBW, considering the QC issues that you mention.

In the case of the AP RO, the fact that it is not 100% accurate to the gen is also immaterial. The MBW AP is still one of the best, if not THE best, watch currently available.

The MBW/MBK AP RO Jumbo is really a "TW best" and first came from EL. It's only available from MBK now.

MBW/MBK also have the best AP RO Offshore available....

Much prefer the Patek,..though some of what I feel may be due to the hype of the moment,

I feel it's a cleaner design as I find the AP with it's nuts and bolts design somewhat gimmicky,..

Both are still reps however better than most,.. but still simply reps....

In that vein,...I wonder however when the other dealers will obtain the Patek....

The pricing from MBW is too far over the top imo... :o

Can we finally lay this misnomer to rest ....these are NOT....MBW watches.....they are MBK watches.....!

As for bertieng's comments about poor quality.....I can't see where that comes from......I have examined these VERY closely.....MANY of them......and the casework is excellent.....NOT up to the highest standard set by PP....but only a true dedicated PP WIS with extensive exposure to the Nautilus would know......let me put it this way......I chose to wear a Nautilus to the Bangkok watch show...( running till the 26th ).....and nobody ...not even on the Patek stand hinted at it being anything other than genuine......I was warmly received on every stand from JLC to Graham....etc etc....!and whilst the dial may not be correct.....who notices....!

The MBK Nautilus is excellent VFM.....I also have whole new stock of 10x .....:D

302549-1527.jpg

302549-1528.jpg

Edited by TTK

I will count myself as bad luck on the inferior PP. I got it from the same supplier as the APROJ, so no question of being fooled.

I got the APROJ, PPNJ, modded 5513(going to put on the gen 24-700 tube/crown and #19 crystal) this month, the $ spent is getting crazy, can almost get me a gen. Explorer II.

Anyway, I will say the APROJ is still a good value when looking at the built quality as compared to the 800 bucks for the ceramic HBB having the screws popping off at any time and with the buckle biting into your skin.

Can we finally lay this misnomer to rest ....these are NOT....MBW watches.....they are MBK watches.....!

As for bertieng's comments about poor quality.....I can't see where that comes from......I have examined these VERY closely.....MANY of them......and the casework is excellent.....NOT up to the highest standard set by PP....but only a true dedicated PP WIS with extensive exposure to the Nautilus would know......let me put it this way......I chose to wear a Nautilus to the Bangkok watch show...( running till the 26th ).....and nobody ...not even on the Patek stand hinted at it being anything other than genuine......I was warmly received on every stand from JLC to Graham....etc etc....!and whilst the dial may not be correct.....who notices....!

The MBK Nautilus is excellent VFM.....I also have whole new stock of 10x .....:D

302556-1525.jpg

302556-1526.jpg

Tried to PM you but your box is full.