When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What rep did you *swear* you'd never buy?

mezzanine

it was 2005... i was at my local AD and he get me a catalog about new PAM 092 Arktos... he told me that this model will come soon and it is very nice... i looked at the pics and told my wife:" this is the mostly ugly watch what i ever saw" :yucky:

2006 saw the rep of this watch (cheap asian version) on a rep dealer and hold it in my hand. I like it and have bought it. 2 month later bought a 7750 version of this watch and 2007 bought the ultimative version :wub: . Last month bought one more ultimative Arktos (to hold it for the future when my watch should scratched)...

now is this Arktos my absolute favorite watch... in Februar want buy a genuine 092 arktos. I have meet the seller (from paneristi) in France, but his watch was in very bad condition (scratches and 2 demaged markers on bezel) and i have not purchase it... but still looking for gen 092 Arktos.

this is the story from most ugly watch to my favorite watch :lol:

Strangely enough, I didn't really *know* about Panerai before I got here- but I didn't really resist them much once I got immersed. But what's funny is that I've moved away from them after my more initial interest. I found that I got more excited by receiving a more conventionally designed watch. Maybe partly due to the external re-inforcement, whereby my friends didn't really get too hyped on them.

Me too, I decided to try it and liked it! And similarly am drawn away from them lately.

... until you buy one, of course.

I only liked Navitimers, but the lumpy Breitlings held no appeal for me ... until the SFSO came out and my brain snapped.

:lol: Brain snap.....Now there's a word that I'm sure describes all the members her at one point or another...."Nah...I'll never buy one of those...." *SNAP*

:lol: Brain snap.....Now there's a word that I'm sure describes all the members her at one point or another...."Nah...I'll never buy one of those...." *SNAP*

Yeah. I suffered from it a few times. "Panerais are fugly and I'll never, ever appreciate them ... *twang* ... Ooh, shiny 111h!"

Yeah. I suffered from it a few times. "Panerais are fugly and I'll never, ever appreciate them ... *twang* ... Ooh, shiny 111h!"

I will never get that "snapped". Promise.

for me it was buying multiple panerais (now i have eight :o)....i couldn't understand why someone would want/need several pams....they all look the same, right :blink:

@pugwash, this is a shot in the dark, but i'm guessing your sfso gets more wrist time than your iwc gst these days? if someone had told you a year ago that a breitling would get more time than your previous favorite watch, i bet you would have laughed them out of the room...

deltatahoe

Hmmm...

I never thought I'd buy a 45mm Planet Ocean, but I did, and absolutley love it.

I never thought I'd buy a Vacheron Constantin Overseas, but I did. That said, it did nothing for me, and it is on its way to its new home as I type...

I never thought I'd buy an Audemars Piguet, but I bought one for a friend's birthday, and, I must admit, I am impressed with it. Knowing my taste is for diver's watches, I don't think I'd actually wear one if I was to buy one for myself, but I am wondering if it's worth getting one purely for the sake of my collection... :huh: Knowing it'd never get worn, probably not :lol:

Last year i was lecturing board members buying an MBW was a waste of money. I now have about $650 into a 1665 GW

Yeah, it's my 'reversal' on the MBW's that really surprises me. It's the cost involved that I think makes it especially surprising. It's one thing if you decide that you'll give a brand that previously didn't have a lot of appeal a chance- I've done that with both Rollies and Pams...but ultimately I only plunked down a couple hundred for my 'experiments'.

It's like someone who hated the HBB's when they came out deciding that they're all-of-a-sudden going to go for the Rose Gold/Ceramic that costs $800. I think the money factor starts to be a significant measure of the magnitude of reversal. Some of the pam nuts who didn't like them initially, and now have $2000 in davidsen's in their collection.

The pams and MBW rollies seem like niche's within the hobby. They seem to have followings whereby some of the people that are nuts for them ONLY collect those watches.

And yet, I'm just as niche-driven as those people- except my niche is the super-reps. Instead of it being a brand niche, it's a rep-maker niche. This might be thread worthy.... :huh:

If that got a *twang*, god knows what sound your squishy grey walnut made when you finally gave into the 187??? :blink:

:blowup:

For me, my snap came with the Ti Chrono Avenger....hated Briets, still do mostly (fussy Navitimers etc.), but the TCA virus just wormed its way into my brain and began replicating.....

@pugwash, this is a shot in the dark, but i'm guessing your sfso gets more wrist time than your iwc gst these days? if someone had told you a year ago that a breitling would get more time than your previous favorite watch, i bet you would have laughed them out of the room...

My IWC GST does indeed get less wrist time than my SFSO. One aspect of this is that the GST doesn't fit nicely in a travel case and another aspect is Titanium is for winter. :D

But yes, if you'd have said a Blumpyling would be high in my rotation, I'd have scoffed. Tastes change and I'm not too proud to admit that. Ask me again in a year if the GST gets no wrist-time at all. That would surprise me.

If that got a *twang*, god knows what sound your squishy grey walnut made when you finally gave into the 187??? :blink:

It went "ooh, cheap! getitgetitgetit" before I realised what I bought. Then it made several noises not unlike a greenstick fracture. :blink:

:blowup:

For me, my snap came with the Ti Chrono Avenger....hated Briets, still do mostly (fussy Navitimers etc.), but the TCA virus just wormed its way into my brain and began replicating.....

Has the snap come on a two tone Cartier Santos 100 yet ? ;)