When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner bracelets review

Stephane

Dear All,

Ever since I am a member, I keep reading comments on the Noobmariner's bracelet that is like the real deal…almost of course.

Because, if Rolex has the best sub, they might have the best Oyster bracelet too ;)

I heard the words "Hollow mid link", "Solid mid link" and same goes for the end links.

I was very confused.

So are you I guess looking at this first picture!  :blink:

I thought I might do this little review for the community to clarify the differences.

RolexSubBracelets_800_01.jpg

I placed an order for a Noobmariner bracelet from BKLM1234 to make myself an opinion and compare it with my MBW/MBK's Rolex Submariner 16610 bracelet that I got from TTK.

Of course, TTK can get you a Noobmariner too.  :yeah:

Weight figures

First, let's check the weight issue.

The MBW/MBK 16610 weights 79 grams on its own, without any bracelet or springbars.

The solid mid/end link bracelet from MBK and its springbars weight 78 grams.

The hollow mid/end link one (Noobmariner) and its springbars weight 73 grams.

The full watch equipped with the MBK solid mid/end link weights thus 157 grams where mounted with the Noobmariner bracelet it only weights 152 grams.

I can't believe the feeling is so different with only 5 grams less for the Noob on the balance!  :nonono:

Here a couple of pictures to show what means "hollow" or "solid" link.

The noob is under the MBW/MBK.

RolexSubBracelets_800_02.jpg

The end link difference looks like this

RolexSubBracelets_800_03.jpg

Colour

I have a real preference for the Noobmariner bracelet.

It is not totally obvious from my pics, but the Noob's overall colour and shine is better, smoother, more yellowish grey, less bluish like the MBW/MBK one.

Noob is on the right.

RolexSubBracelets_800_08.jpg

The clasp

The clasp of the Noobmariner bracelet is a little shorter than the MBK one.

Noob is on the right.

RolexSubBracelets_800_05.jpg

The crown on the clasp

The one on the Noob is more precisely stamped.

Noob is on the right.

RolexSubBracelets_800_06.jpg

The finish

The Noobmariner bracelet is better finished.

If you take the time to look very close to these pictures, it's obvious.

Noob is on the right.

RolexSubBracelets_800_04.jpg

Noob still on the right (Look at the pins holding the clasp to the first link)

RolexSubBracelets_800_09.jpg

Noob on the bottom (Look at the middle of the unfolded clasp)

RolexSubBracelets_800_10.jpg

Would you wear the Noobmariner or the solid mid/end link one?

Personally I still prefer the solid mid/end link one but will have the Noobmariner installed at a certain point.

I'm sure these 5 grams difference will attract more "Is it real or fake?" type of questions as I said before, but who cares.

Aren't we wearing reps ?

I guess you have to make your self a personal opinion. :)

Fitting issues

Now, for sure, I'm not able to fit it my self so I wouldn't recommend you try it unless you have some serious skills.

I spend 30 minutes to try to get the springbars in the lugholes, but no way.

Rather send it to Ziggy, Tribal or some of your favourite watchmaker.

Conclusion

The whole idea of this thread is to show the differences of two of the most common rep bracelets of the most popular rep, the Sub.

I am in no way meaning this one is better than the other!

It's anyway a matter of taste.

Hope it helped you a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Stephane

That's very nice comparison Steph. Thanks man. :)

I also like the solid middle link bracelets on TW Best and MBW, although technically they're not as accurate. On the other hand Noobmariner bracelet has excellent satin finish.

Stephane ,

thx for this great pictorial comparison a great addition to the boards again ! Pls pin it to ure signature ... thx :)

@ cableguy ure right :)

i detached the bracelet to fit the nato bond on my noob some time ago ... so after a few weeks i said to myself lets swith it back ...

one one side the bracelet pins jumped in without any ishues bu on the other part one side of the pin went in but the other one just would not !

i struggled for about 30 minutes and then gave up ... i took it to a watchmaker and even he spend 30 minutes to squeze it in ...

he told me it was a painfull proces ... i belive u might be lucky if u find one that fits strait in there without bending the bar a bit ...

laz

you just need to take a file and take a little off the end of the SEL where it goes up against the watch case... this allows the SEL to suck itself in closer to the watch and the springbars will snap in place ;)

EXCELLENT review by the way Stephan ;)

Those are great comparison pics and I agree that the Noob bracelet has better overall fit and finish.

Lonnie

you just need to take a file and take a little off the end of the SEL where it goes up against the watch case... this allows the SEL to suck itself in closer to the watch and the springbars will snap in place ;)

Lonnie

@ Lonnie,

Thanks for the tip. I would like to try it.

Could you point out on this pic where exactly and how much you recommend to take some off ?

I'm afraid to take too more out and wouldn't want other beginners to scr*w theirs either ;)

@ All: thanks guys for your usual nice words.

Cheers

Stephane

306215-131.jpg

i would file where the red line is. See my revised picture below. This will allow the end link to move closer to the case. This is what i did to mine before. I had to take quite a bit off (maybe 1mm). when you try to install the bracelet you should be able to see how far the spring bars are away from clicking in.. or look how much would you have to bend the springbar to make it fit, and thats how much you need to file off. Its a LOT of trial and error but its easy to do. Just be sure to file it carefully so as to not destory the bracelet. You dont need a dremel, you can do it by hand in 10 or 15 min of messing around.

Lonnie

306235-130.jpg

Great review, thanks!

I wonder, can you see any difference in the "Registered Swissmade" and "Steelinox" stamps on the clasp? I think that on the cheaper replicas, the staps are visible from the back of the clasp.

Very nice review, Stephane. Terrific photos and details as usual. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Fitting the bracelets can be a bit tidious but it is not difficult. As L-dizzle pointed out, you'll need to grind a little off the SEL when installing with the OEM bars. I use a dremel with a sanding drum attachment and evenly remove a small amount of metal from the top and bottom edges at a time and check the fit frequently. The sanding drum makes relatively quick work of this mod. If I can do this, anyone can. :)

The bracelet metal will look much brighter after a good polishing with a quality fine compound. Cape Cod works as well. The satin finish can be reapplied with a green Scotch-Brite pad.

i would file where the red line is. See my revised picture below. This will allow the end link to move closer to the case. This is what i did to mine before. I had to take quite a bit off (maybe 1mm). when you try to install the bracelet you should be able to see how far the spring bars are away from clicking in.. or look how much would you have to bend the springbar to make it fit, and thats how much you need to file off. Its a LOT of trial and error but its easy to do. Just be sure to file it carefully so as to not destory the bracelet. You dont need a dremel, you can do it by hand in 10 or 15 min of messing around.

Lonnie

306235-130.jpg

Or elongate the pin holes a bit.

Thanks again guys.

Here is a little update on fitting the Noobmariner bracelet to my MBW:

- I used my Rep Dremel :lol: and started to sand the 6 o'clock side.

- Tried to plug that side on the watch several times, resand a little, ... untill it works!

- At that point I shouted something like "I am the king of the world" and started with the second side, the 12 o'clock one.

- Applied the same modus, sand, try, sand, try, ...but at a certain point the sanding was a little too much on the case back side... :o

- I took a bending plier and bent the springbar...try again, and one lughole accepted it but not the other :angry:

- Now it looks that I'm out of ideas and can't sand it anymore otherwise it will look horrible...

My conclusion so far:

Do not try if you have no skills (like me) !

I'll go back to it another day, when I'm more calm, and will try with another springbar !

Cheers

Stephane