When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the ETA Noobmariner a myth?

The Mentalist

I recall reading on here something from By-tor that the Noobmariner has both standard Asian and ETA variants. I just tried to buy one from a dealer here and was told that the ETA Noobmariner does not exist. What gives? Can someone give me a definitive answer on this as it's driving me nuts.

Cheers very much.

I think that the term "Noobmariner" might not be definitive.

I bought the Noobie from River, with the ETA- copy movement, which looked and felt just like the regular ETA, without the ETA- stamps... Pauls offerings might be the same just with the stamps, I dont know... It is a jungle out there... It is a very nice watch, nevertheless! :)

This isnt a Noob in the picture... this is the same as Andrews Ultimate with the "D" serial number and "CL1" stamped on the clasp... the Noob has a straight rehaut 1.8mm deep and an "F" serial number with "A310" i believe it is on the clasp... I have both and they are slightly different.. Bracelets are close but the rehaut is very very different. I think a lot of the dealers have a few different versions so you might not get the same one twice unless its from TTK... There are 2 or 3 versions of the "Noobmariner" but TTK's is the true Noob ;) and the most accurate one.

Lonnie

HI Mentalist and welcom to the rwg ...

i see u already got ure answer ... so ill just add a picture ...

here is my eta noob (so called perfect sub ) or how u wanna call it :)

306314-3.jpg

regards laz

@Mentalist: Sorry for the late reply.

I got my ETA Noobmariner from a fellow member, Falco. I don't remember where he got it originally. My watch had new hands with better lume. The rehaut on the ETA version was a bit shallower... otherwise it was the excact same watch. I don't have it any longer though.

Excellent Sub replica.

4b.jpg

3a.jpg

bw.jpg

The biggest difference is the rehaut.. the metal ring between the crystal and the dial. it should be straight and not angled or conical. here is a pic of my ETA noob with straight rehaut,.. compare it to the picture above with the conical rehaut that slopes in towards the center of the dial...

CIMG0837.jpg

Arhhhhhh!!!!!!! Now you tell me. Ok, so does TTK sell his Noob with an ETA movement? And where did By-Tor get his?

So what exactly are the differences you speak of Lonnie?

This is a great pic of the noob lume. I noticed today that my noobs dial markers glow green and the hands glow white. Looks kinda stupid ha ha ha

Lonnie

@Mentalist: Sorry for the late reply.

I got my ETA Noobmariner from a fellow member, Falco. I don't remember where he got it originally. My watch had new hands with better lume. The rehaut on the ETA version was a bit shallower... otherwise it was the excact same watch. I don't have it any longer though.

Excellent Sub replica.

4b.jpg

I see what you mean now. Paul's 'So-called Perfect' sub is the same as Andrew's 'Ultimate Sub' right? And it has that @#!? wok rehaut? To be honest, it doesn't look too bad on Laz's watch until you compare it to your's Lonnie. I take it a true 'Noob' has the straight rehaut? Where did you get your's Lonnie?

Thanks for all the help guys and I enjoy your pics and reviews By-Tor!

Edited by The Mentalist

Paul's so called perfect sub is a noobmariner. As is River's eta copy sub and josh's $108 beginmariner. Andrew also has the noob w/ eta- it used to run $188, but prices have been going up. All of these watches have the same case which is marked

F520117 between the lugs for the serial number. Eddie also used to sell the eta noob- don't know if he still does. There are some variations seen in this model like the thicker date font on the beginmariner (mine had the thinner font), smaller pearls called the zit or pimple. But they are basically all the same watch. Except of course, the original noob from TTK and the beginmariner have asian 21j movts.

Yep thats the noob.. even if you dont notice the difference anyways, they are still 98% perfect. MOst people wont know the rehaut is different.. thats just for the Rolex nerds (like myself) to point out ;)

Lonnie

Here's Andrew's noobmariner:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...products_id=256

In this pic the crystal sits up nicely, check out the serial # and the crown is slightly too big- another noob tell.

• 1 month later...
As of today, Josh will sell his Beginmariner with a Swiss ETA movement. To do this, you order the Swiss ETA watch, and specify the Beginmariner caseset in the comments. The price is the higher of the two without shipping of course.

He has been doing this for a while. I just wonder if the watch itself will still be exactly the same. Example date / markers

He has been doing this for a while. I just wonder if the watch itself will still be exactly the same. Example date / markers

I stand corrected...I actually meant to say that as of today, he STILL will do the switch. I'm not sure if it sill be the same...I might order one soon and I'll post the results if I do.

Just be sure to get the case with the F520117 serial number and you should be safe. They come from what is known as the "Noob factory". Seems to be the best "out of the box" case so far. You'll find Submariners, GMT's, Daytonas etc with this same serial number on them. The asian Noob has a closer to gen rehaut of 1.9mm as opposed to the 1.8mm rehaut on the ETA. The Asian movement is supposed to be pretty good anyways so if you are looking for the "most correct" looking version then go for the Asian version for $100

Lonnie

edit to clarify: ETA rehaut 1.8mm asian rehaut 1.9mm gen rehaut 2.0mm

does anyone know if River is still selling her noobmariner with the ETA copy movement? And if so, would it have the rehaut of the Asian noob "Which is 1.8" or the ETA (which is 1.8)? Thanks...

Oh and also is there a weight difference between the ETA and the Asian and River ETA copy? How do they compare to gen, weight wise? Thanks,

vintagized (sanded and polished) ETA noob is 129.4 grams

MBW 16610 franken with noob bracelet is 134.1 grams

MBW 1665 franken with solid oyster bracelet 129.8 grams

maybe you guys can add to this to make a definitive list

Lonnie

With crown & pearl exchange Noob is nearly perfect. It has the best front rehaut thickness of any Submariner reps out there...and it's the only 16610 rep which is difficult to spot as a rep from the front view (if you change the pearl & crown). I think the rehaut thickness issue is way more important than the actual depth. MBW and TW models have the same thickness, but they simply look wrong.

Here's a GMT reference pic but you get the idea.

3d_3.jpg

Then look at the Noob factory GMT rep on the left. Perfect thickness.

9.jpg

Then look at Ubi's 16610 franken. As brilliant as it is, the TW case & crystal are immediately spottable as a rep. The front rehaut looks wrong.

wt2eq7.jpg

Noobmariner from the front view. Virtually perfect.

wt2sg3.jpg

Guest kotaro

Hi, lazarini

Your bracelet is fantastic!

Where did you get from? now.. I'. looking for better bracelet fit to sub.

Hmmm ... good question as i dont have the asian noob i cant really say all do it is the correct holow link version with a decent crown on it !

esentialy i have a feeling its the ssae bracelet ...

picture of the one i have on the eta noob ...

306319-2.jpg

regards laz