When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are Google Ads of non-forum dealer sites displayed in this forum?

scoobs1971

To me the very existence of this forum lies in the fact that unexperienced rep buyers are protected against (possible) scamsites. That's why we have a limited amount of trusted collectors here who's actions can be publicly judged by our members.

Why then am I seeing Google Ads of for instance http://www.bestmanwatches.com/, http://www.princegift.com/ and http://www.dhgate.com/ ?

I can understand the financial benefits of link exchange, but maybe there should be some form of control and filtering...

What is Admin's policy for this?

Cheers,

P.

I personally have never seen these ads (firefox + plug-ins, which I think everyone should have), but would have to say that I would find that troubling, as a noob (to collecting, not new to the forum) might construe this as n endorsement to shop at these sites. Don't know if there's much a site owner can do about the content of an ad banner though.

We have a general google adsense account and the ads here are served randomly by google, based on the content on the page the ad is server on, like all google ads. We have no input in what kind of ads that will show up here. The only thing we can do is put known scam-sites on a block-list at google, if members report them.

@admin: I don't know if it's technical possible, but can't you just block all ads with words like "replica", "fake" "grade" and all words that are referring to replica sites?

I don't know if the sites I've found are real scam sites or just sites with some lower end reps, but to me they look rather fishy...

Step 1: Download the latest version of "Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser" which is always free.

Step 2: Download "Adblock", a free and ridiculously easy self-installing upgrade for Mozilla Firefox.

Step 3: Download "Filterset.G," a frequently updated database of advertisements fed into program #2 which program #2 blocks from displaying on websites. Again, it is free and installs itself through Firefox.

-Most English websites will lose all ads, be they flash-animation or standard .gif or .jpeg banners.

I only figured this out recently, but I swear to you it makes my internet experience so much more enjoyable. If you just google all of those things, you'll get it done in no time.

@Corgi: thnx for the tip, but I'm not bothered with Google Ads in general. My concern is more 'philosophical'. This forum among other things was made to prevent people to buy from possible scammers. From this point of view this forum needs to do all she can to prevent displaying Google Ads of scam-sites. I don't know if this would be technically possible, but let's at least try... :)

I agree we should try to protect the membership of the forum from known scam sites, but as the admin said we can't control all the ads we get here. If there's a problem bring it to the attention of the admin team and we'll get rid of those companies.

The one problem I see with blocking all the Google ads is that the site generates revenue from members clicking the ads, it has been mentioned it's not much revenue, but everything helps. ;) Also, those using Firefox can't even see the ads to click on them, I use IE, but just because I'm used to the interface. I tried Firefox and didn't like the bookmark management tools and a few other features. But, I digress and won't go OT too much. :)

@admin: I don't know if it's technical possible, but can't you just block all ads with words like "replica", "fake" "grade" and all words that are referring to replica sites?

I don't know if the sites I've found are real scam sites or just sites with some lower end reps, but to me they look rather fishy...

No can do. The only thing I can add to these filters are domain-names.

No can do. The only thing I can add to these filters are domain-names.

Admin, are we signed up for "Adult Finder" as well as Ad-Sense?

adultrwgpq6.jpg

Eww...I'd say the same thing for nekkid guys. Maybe not in Miami though. :)

EDIT: Please note my recent avatar change. I ain't against the skin, just the go-between tackiness.

Admin, are we signed up for "Adult Finder" as well as Ad-Sense?

adultrwgpq6.jpg

Eww...I'd say the same thing for nekkid guys. Maybe not in Miami though. :)

EDIT: Please note my recent avatar change. I ain't against the skin, just the go-between tackiness.

Damn. I thought those girls where located in my area <_< Seems like those three get around a lot as they are listed as I see in Miami now.