When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lifespan of your reps

Guest REPPIN

How long have your PAM Reps lasted, and where did you get them from.

I have had a 111 CHEAP rep that i got almost a year ago, it gets about 1-2 days a week. And still working fine.

But i just got a new 111 from Andrew and was hoping for at least that long.

How long have you guys had your PAM reps, and what model are they, and where did you get them?

I must have had my fiddy for at least 18 months now and it is still fine Except the exploding glass saga, but there is really no reason why a hand wind would not last i life time, i would love to have a Ziggy service on all my watches and then i would expect all the swiss chiss swiense ones to work for ever with subsequent servicing.

Maybe i'm jaded, but I am hoping my reps last a lifetime. I stay away from plate, and I opt for ETA when possible.

You mean, you're NOT jaded! You're still hopeful like a child. ;)

I also share your perhaps misguided wishes, hoping against hope my babied reps will last a lifetime. I am just about to write the collector, but though we have taken it to 3 watchmakers, there is nothing that can be done with the brandnew Omega SMP 007 my dad just got. The first arrived DOA, and the second died in the second week.

But that's 1 out of 50, so not bad.

You mean, you're NOT jaded! You're still hopeful like a child. ;)

I also share your perhaps misguided wishes, hoping against hope my babied reps will last a lifetime. I am just about to write the collector, but though we have taken it to 3 watchmakers, there is nothing that can be done with the brandnew Omega SMP 007 my dad just got. The first arrived DOA, and the second died in the second week.

But that's 1 out of 50, so not bad.

^_^ You are wise beyond your years.

Its always the gifts that don't work. Funny... But not.

I think in general all reps will work for quit a while as long as you tread them right and get them derviced after a period of use .

Also when you store them in your watch box and don't use them they can get dried out.

Remember it's all mechanical with lot's of small pieces working tightly together . They need some treadment once and a while.

Cats

my oldest PAM is an asian cheapo from Andrew bought back in early 2006, its over 1,5yr and this one still runs flawlessly. I can add that it had been my daily beater for more than one whole year :p And its life wasnt easy for sure :p

Cheers

If you take care of your watch and service it every few years, there is no reason why it should not last a lifetime and more.

I must have had my fiddy for at least 18 months now and it is still fine Except the exploding glass saga, but there is really no reason why a hand wind would not last i life time, i would love to have a The Zigmeister service on all my watches and then i would expect all the swiss chiss swiense ones to work for ever with subsequent servicing.

I second that!! I hope The Zigmeister never retires. I think most of us would be lost without him!!

during my rep collecting that now lasts for more than two years I have had 10+ PAMs in my hands...had only minor problems with them...and all of them are still running strong...some of them are with me some have been sold to friends...just last week I sold my first rep that I got, the PAM029...still running strong...it was one of the most accurate reps I have ever had...this week I got a 2893 029 so this last one was free to go...it was an improvement in mvt quality...

I have/had PAMs with swiss and asian movements...they have been really reliable...maybe I was lucky...but this is my experience...you'll hear different stories...

good luck in your future purchases...

For Pams... Swiss Unitas is a workhorse movement so no worries here as long as your watch is a swiss unitas... and if you have Asian unitas, if it breaks... no worries, it won't fail completely. you can still buy a swiss raw unitas movt for less than $80. your watchsmith can take parts from new movt and add it to your broken movement :)

But on the other hand, I don't think same about A7750's :) if they last 10 years. that would be great. IMHO.