When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unsupportive family and friends

P4GTR

Do the people closest to you loathe your hobby?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do the people closest to you loathe your hobby?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never would've expected to get such a negative response from family and friends over this hobby.

My bills are paid, I am generally a very responsible person.

There are so many other things I could waste a few hundred dollars on in the course of a weekend, and have nothing to show for it come Monday morning besides a nose-bleed or a sunburn and a hangover. I don't spend a fortune on clothing, I drive a moderately priced car. Does it not seem like for every desire, there is double the reason to begrudge yourself of it?

I just don't get the negativity towards this hobby. The watches are not replacing meals on the table or the electricity bill. I've never spent much money on myself, and up until recently, it felt really nice to be able to do so.

Do any of you go through this as well? I can't believe you all have significant others that LOVE seeing you unwrap one heavily taped package after another. Maybe I am in wealthy company here, and it's just not that much of an issue to you all.

I wouldn't say I get it all the time, but my wife feels that the money I spend on watches could be better spent, and my father in law is just a philistine who worships the Quartz, so finds great pleasure in mocking any slight failure of a mechanical movement... (one of these days, I'm going to use a Sub as Bond did in OHMSS and see how he likes it then ;) )

Only my mother in law understands :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is the reason I keep my Hobby exclusively to RWG .. and you all .. I don't discuss my hobby with friends.. they don't even know I have more than 1 or 2 watches.. I wear the same ones if I get together with them..this is not a "habit" that people usually acquire .. if they do it's purely for the "prestiege" of wearing a Rolex and has nothing to do with the history or mechanics..people are usually posers with name brands .. that know nothing about the movement that they are wearing..

I have one friend who collects Genuine Rolex's .. non vintage... but he knows nothing about what he has .. he just buy's um and sticks them in the safe.. usually the high end pieces,.. so there is nothing to "talk story" about.. :(

This hobby of ours is really selective as far as "Our" passion.. I mean really who do you know outside of these communities that have more than 1 or 2 watches ?? Watch Smiths don't count.. :lol:

so I keep to myself here .. and depend on you all for my fixes and Camaraderie !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

L

My wife is happy as long as I buy her a pair of shoes for every watch I buy. She is not nearly obsessive with shoes as I am with watches so I guess I have made a good deal. Most of my friends take no interest in watches, so I don't discuss it with them or even show new acquisitions to them. When I feel the need to "talk watches" I usually turn to my dad, who owns a small collection of Gens but is not reserved about replicas.

DSD

I never would've expected to get such a negative response from family and friends over this hobby.

My bills are paid, I am generally a very responsible person.

There are so many other things I could waste a few hundred dollars on in the course of a weekend, and have nothing to show for it come Monday morning besides a nose-bleed or a sunburn and a hangover. I don't spend a fortune on clothing, I drive a moderately priced car. Does it not seem like for every desire, there is double the reason to begrudge yourself of it?

I just don't get the negativity towards this hobby. The watches are not replacing meals on the table or the electricity bill. I've never spent much money on myself, and up until recently, it felt really nice to be able to do so.

Do any of you go through this as well? I can't believe you all have significant others that LOVE seeing you unwrap one heavily taped package after another. Maybe I am in wealthy company here, and it's just not that much of an issue to you all.

Identify totallly.

That said, I tend to be a little obsessive about things, and my friends and girlfriend especially just views this as one more obsession. I concede (even to her) that it is, but SO WHAT? Like you say, I am frugal, don't spend a lot of money, even on this hobby, I just have to be careful about talking about it all the time, she REALLY doesn't care.

I will say that buying her a nice rep Hermes H-hour helped smooth things over.... :lol:

Like Ubi...watches have become part of the family. My wife actually has a little collection, and she looks out for interesting autction catalogues that have horological items in them. I have a bit of watch related material on the bookshelf.

A common question at our breakfast table is my wife asking our son "which watch did you pick Daddy today?". I love it.

About two months ago my wife said " thats It, no more watches" she thinks Im sick and need help. She said that If she see's one more watch show up at the house she would be leaving me for good. Dam Im going to miss her. I know I know It's old But the classics never die :rofl: Mike

When my wife raised an eyebrow about another box from China, I gently reminded her that the total amount I've ever spent on watches is exceeded by both:

1) The cost of the single platinum and diamond anniversary band on her finger.

and

2) My poker tournament winnings this Summer.

She took the hint, she's pretty reasonable.

Crap...what am I going to do...I have 3 more that should be delivered today according to FedEx??

Oh yeah...the wife wanted one of them...Pheew! I'm saved. As long as I can hide the other 2 she doesn't know about. Just kidding, hiding the acquisitions is definitely OUT of the game plan. I haven't gone that far into things that I have to deceive anyone.

When my wife raised an eyebrow about another box from China, I gently reminded her that the total amount I've ever spent on watches is exceeded by both:

1) The cost of the single platinum and diamond anniversary band on her finger.

and

2) My poker tournament winnings this Summer.

She took the hint, she's pretty reasonable.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

About two months ago my wife said " thats It, no more watches" she thinks Im sick and need help. She said that If she see's one more watch show up at the house she would be leaving me for good. Dam Im going to miss her. I know I know It's old But the classics never die :rofl: Mike

http://www.rwgforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=32402 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a lot of hobbies, many of which seem to collect items which take up a lot of space (RC helicopters and cars, guitars, guns, DVDs, laserdiscs and others), so when I got into watch collecting she thought it would be a better choice since watches don't take up as much space as the other stuff.

The fact that she also ended up with a couple of nice watches didn't hurt either.

But, if she knew how much I spent on these watches she might reconsider... :whistling:

I didn't tell anyone about my watches when I bought the first few and kept them all in the sock drawer. They only got noticed when I wore it out in the open and all I got was a roll of the eyes.

Mid life crisis?? on watches? hardly.

I got this as a mid life crisis:

suzukibandit400.jpg

And that's my SECOND bike.

p4gtr, maybe i missed it, but did you indicate whether you live at home or not... if the answer is yes, then i don't need to reply.

If you don't live at home, where do you live?!

My good lady thinks it is a stupid hobby too. Pfft, you don't hear me complaining about her collection of xbox 360 games, do you?

-robsa

PS Love looking at the american metal. All I can say regarding swapping the 'vette for a Fezza is... are there any curves where you live?!

For most people, it will always be "only a watch." This is a sickness, after all. ;)

Ditto, I only have plans to get one rep and stick with it, but I'm a DIY kind of guy so I'm gonna play around with it. But if I was lucky enough to have a family member who had 20 or so watches I wouldn't say a thing about it.

Tell the wife about her obsession with shoes and clothing and accessories, ask her if she would wear the same outfit twice.

I live with my girlfriend in a nice apartment in the suburbs. We work hard and receive no spoiled handout's from our families.

I drive and pay for my '04 (bought brand new) Nissan SE-R SpecV. I've got a couple thousand dollars in NISMO upgrades (I/H/E/MM etc..). I love cars but its too expensive for me to build what I want right now. I downgraded to a less costly hobby!

ser.jpg

Is that a fart pipe?

Ditto, I only have plans to get one rep and stick with it, but I'm a DIY kind of guy so I'm gonna play around with it. But if I was lucky enough to have a family member who had 20 or so watches I wouldn't say a thing about it.

Tell the wife about her obsession with shoes and clothing and accessories, ask her if she would wear the same outfit twice.

you may or may not be getting only one watch.. but you've exhausted your mental reps.. and ours :rolleyes: , to wear *where* (pun intended) at least a dozen in your mind so far ...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: