When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Marcel Marceau dies, aged 84

Victoria

When asked for comments, his students said "..."

This was supposed to be a silent thread! :D

Poor Marcel Marceau. Just tried to give the world a little pleasure, and I bet you he will be the butt of jokes when his death is announced to people all over the world.

I went up to my dad and said, "Marcel Marceau died last night".

Do you know his reaction? Silence. He just put two hands on top of his head, as in "The roof is on fire" gesture, and made a funny face as he kept pushing and touching the sides of the air.

That would be Marcel Marceau in his new "box".

Personally I thought he died at every appearance

:o

(Yes, I laughed. Poor Marcel)

People from "Anglo-Saxon" cultures just don't get mimes, and moreover every grown British, American, Canadian, Australian and Kiwi man seems want to kick the snot out of mimes.

It's like they stand for all the effete intellectual, conceptual, commedia dell'arte traditions which make the French so ridiculed by us.

And I bet you the French loved Benny Hill too.

Yeah, but when someone who was famous decades ago passes away at 84, it's hardly devastating news. He had a good life, achieved all his goals and made it into his 80s, iconic, rich and famous.

Hehe. I laughed too, Pugwash, don't worry. And I'm very sentimental about people dying.

Oh, and his movie quotes page is funny.

"The great mime Marcel Marceau had speaking roles in some motion pictures ... and this exclusive chart painstakingly lists the best of his film quotations."

:lol: