When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying "Exotic" Straps

Victoria

In the past week, I've bought an APB Ostrich strap.

Then a few days later, a Manifatture Firenze python strap.

And I've just pulled the trigger on a Taikonaut kangaroo strap.

My question is simple:

Do you ever feel any kind of guilt in buying "exotic" hide straps? Do some give you more pause than others? Which is your favourite, or most exotic you've ever bought/seen?

Because I never blinked, until I went for the kangaroo one. Ostriches are ornery. Pythons, well, sooner them than me. Gators and crocs are nasty scaly beasts (taste like chicken, BTW).

But I've been to Oz, and love their 'roos. What's wrong with us? :)

Eating, wearing, petting...I just like to enjoy animals in all the ways they have to offer. So cute and tasty.

Hi Michael Vick! :lol:

No, seriously. I'm hardly a PETA type or anything, though I do have that Catholic guilt which pops up at weird times (like this).

But why would an animal's cuddliness make any difference to me, whether or not I wear it on my wrist? It's illogical. Yes to crocs, but no to dogs?

the best baseball gloves .... baseball and football shoes used to be made with Kangaroo leather.. the baseball gloves where the best light and strong.. marrone reddish colour.. I had one for 15 years all through college...

since I grew up with using it my mind set is ok with it....

I will NEVER EVER wear or feel OK with Elephant hide... on straps or any other article :angry:

Elephants are majestic creatures ... family oriented and ENDANGERED.. :(

In some cultures treated as family for their work ethic

I don't even believe they should be in "carnivals" :angry:

futhermore if you try to bring in elephant straps be prepared to "do time" if caught. :(

LIVE STRONG AND DON'T EVER WEAR THIS ON YOUR WRIST

post-2172-1190690523_thumb.jpg

It's a tough topic, Lanikai. Thanks for your perspective. Not sure elephants were ever on my radar, but I'll take what you said into consideration. :)

Stingrays on the other hand...well, we have some unfinished Steve Irwin business, them and I. :mellow:

It's a tough topic, Lanikai. Thanks for your perspective. Not sure elephants were ever on my radar, but I'll take what you said into consideration. :)

Stingrays on the other hand...well, we have some unfinished Steve Irwin business, them and I. :mellow:

when your in the surf lineup and a stingray's wings come up along side you it appears to be a shark... go for the ray.. although to me it looks like alot of warts on a watch.

elephants ... BAD KHARMA ... They haven't changed much over the centuries ... just my personal feeling toward this creature ... look on Banda straps and you will find them there ... i just cannot understand how anyone would condone this... my "personal feelings..."

There are a few hides I have some issue with buying, elephants being one of them. I don't like the idea of wearing the skin of anything smarter than me. I imagine when the big ships come to pick them all back up I would have some explaining to do, and I don't speak elephant very well. I did buy a custom spotted lizard strap from HKTan. I felt like I had to do a little extra research to make sure I wasn't buying something that was endangered. It was just too beautiful a leather from me not to have seen it somewhere before. I never did find anything to worry me and the truth is if I ran into one of those things in the jungle I would really only be one deep fryer shy of dinner.

Ummm, tastes like spotted chicken...

In the past week, I've bought an APB Ostrich strap.

Then a few days later, a Manifatture Firenze python strap.

And I've just pulled the trigger on a Taikonaut kangaroo strap.

My question is simple:

Do you ever feel any kind of guilt in buying "exotic" hide straps? Do some give you more pause than others? Which is your favourite, or most exotic you've ever bought/seen?

Because I never blinked, until I went for the kangaroo one. Ostriches are ornery. Pythons, well, sooner them than me. Gators and crocs are nasty scaly beasts (taste like chicken, BTW).

But I've been to Oz, and love their 'roos. What's wrong with us? :)

Kangaroo is, without a doubt, my favorite meat. I think the only hide I'd have a problem wearing, would be guinea pig :lol: That said, given how a guinea's skin is pink/black in relation to it's hair colorings, it would certainly make a visually interesting strap...

the best baseball gloves .... baseball and football shoes used to be made with Kangaroo leather.. the baseball gloves where the best light and strong.. marrone reddish colour.. I had one for 15 years all through college...

since I grew up with using it my mind set is ok with it....

I will NEVER EVER wear or feel OK with Elephant hide... on straps or any other article :angry:

In some cultures treated as family for their work ethic

I don't even believe they should be in "carnivals" :angry:

futhermore if you try to bring in elephant straps be prepared to "do time" if caught. :(

LIVE STRONG AND DON'T EVER WEAR THIS ON YOUR WRIST

post-2172-1190690523_thumb.jpg

I'd agree with all that. If it's an endangered species, then having a strap of the hide would be bad mojo...

I dont buy exotic straps at all its just plain and simpel wrong to do it in my eyes.

I now alot of gators and such are breed this days for meat and their skin but for me its better to just not buy it so i dont risk buying some rare and almost ekstinct animal skin.

CITES

the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora

No problems for me with exotic. I've probably owned 20 different ones.

Here's a complete list to the best of my recollection:

elephant, kudu, python, tree snake, lizard, sting ray, gator, croc, ostrich, beaver tail, buffalo, seal and of course shark.

My favorite is a custom made sting ray in grey with white pearls. I would like to get an ostrich shin/leg. Very cool pattern.

ABP would never sell anything that was taken by poachers.

I don't like the idea of wearing the skin of anything smarter than me.

Ummm, that would limit some of us to straps made from fabric.

If you eat it, wear it. If you don't, don't.

I presume you haven't shopped at this place: Exotic Meats USA

Nice people, if you ever stop in at their San Antonio location. I don't know if they still do this, but stop in on a Saturday for free samples.