When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Notice - If U Use Same Pw On Paypal - Change Now

NOTICE - if you use the same password here, on pp, or anywhere else that you used on the old RWG board, or TRC board change them all to something unique and individually different.

In other words, if you were JoeBlow and your PW was 12345ABC, and that is the sign on access here, to pp, or even to your bank account at some obscure bank, you must change that password.

You need to do that now.

Bill

Good job on the warning...anyone here encounter any issues with their PP account being hacked?

I think it's always good practice to use different (and strong) passwords for any of your logins that deal with money.

I take it you are not reading the threads. Yes, there have been recent problems, the person actually responsible is a member so rather than educate the mutt, let's just say that if you use the same passwords as described, change them now.

Bill

Bill-

Thanks for the heads up. I hate to bring this up but does this mean we should be fearful about using pp with our dealers since this is where the hackers are apparently centering their efforts?

i dont think paying the dealers with your pp account is the problem.

part of the problem is people using the same pass word on a number of occasions.

Bill...excellent advice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bill,

Many thanks for the timely prod.

I have been promising myself to review all my logons/passwords of late- but have never got around to it.

Until today.

Gee I feel releived to have " sorted out" my affairs!

And would you beleive- I WAS logging on to over 10 sites using the same log/pass.... until today.

Was a bit of work to change them all- but - well- I feel a heap easier now.

Thanks again.

offshore

PS And I WILL review it all in 30 days!

It really amazes me that some of you guys use the same password for your banking institutions as you use on these chat forums :bangin::bangin::thumbdown: You might as well leave your front door open with all your money in bags on the welcome mat :whistling:

I know having the same password is easier to remember and all, but come on! This is the age of viruses, trojans, computer security issues etc... GET WITH THE TIMES MATES :Jumpy::Jumpy:

Best thing to do is to separate the sites that contain important personal details and money like banks, credit cards, pp, and ebay from the not so important sites like chat forums etc

Then set a password to access your bank accounts... DON'T TELL THIS ONE TO ANYONE

Then set a different password for pp... DON'T TELL THIS ONE TO ANYONE

Then set a different password for eBay... DON'T TELL THIS ONE TO ANYONE

Then set a different password for these forums.... You shouldn't tell anyone this one, but it's really not extremely important unless you're a mod or admin.

Get a good antivirus software... pay for it, it's worth it.

Get a good antitrojan software

Invest in a good router with a good NAT/SPI firewall

Use a secure browser like Mozilla or Firefox and a good mail program like Thunderbird... They're FREE

Only visit your banking/pp/ebay sites by using your bookmarks, don't click the pretty little button or link directly from an emai... This is just asking for trouble!

The above should keep you 'somewhat' safe....

Get a good antivirus software... pay for it, it's worth it. Get a good antitrojan software

Or, alternatively, consider moving over to Macintosh. This isn't a "ha ha, macs are better" post, but Mac users don't have to worry about the whole virus/trojan/keylogger/spyware thing. If this kind of activity happens to you a lot, you should seriously consider a Mac. I can't unfortunately recommend Linux in the same way as the problem there is if you're not an expert, you'll spend more time trying to understand it than you did being hassled by your PC. If you are the sort of person that would be happy with Linux, you're already using it and you can ignore this message.

Seriously, if you keep getting humped because you run Windows, maybe you're not the problem.

Or, alternatively, consider moving over to Macintosh. This isn't a "ha ha, macs are better" post, but Mac users don't have to worry about the whole virus/trojan/keylogger/spyware thing. If this kind of activity happens to you a lot, you should seriously consider a Mac. I can't unfortunately recommend Linux in the same way as the problem there is if you're not an expert, you'll spend more time trying to understand it than you did being hassled by your PC. If you are the sort of person that would be happy with Linux, you're already using it and you can ignore this message.

Seriously, if you keep getting humped because you run Windows, maybe you're not the problem.

Not Necessarily so, Mac has been getting more and more attention from spyware, trojans, loggers, etc.

Researchers chart leap in Mac vullnerabilities

Not Necessarily so, Mac has been getting more and more attention from spyware, trojans, loggers, etc.

This is why I tried to say this isn't a "Macs Are Better" post. You linked to an article that says "People that want to sell you something say it's better if you buy their stuff".

Number of Trojans in the wild: Zero.

Number of Viruses in the wild: Zero.

Number of remote exploits: Zero.

Whether it's because Macs are better or Windows is more popular or whatever. This doesn't matter when the net result is that you're safer on a Mac. It doesn't matter if Macs are getting less safe, which they're not but that's a different discussion for a different day, they're still way safer than a PC running Windows.

Let's say tomorrow a dozen very severe and dangerous viruses all suddenly turn up for Macs, it's still got less than 0.01% of the exploits of Windows.

It's like the man and his friend in the jungle when they suddenly see a bengal tiger. The man suddenly starts running. His friend says "You're wasting your time, you can't outrun a tiger!" The man replies "I don't need to outrun the tiger, I just need to outrun you."

Being more secure than the other guy is currently enough. If you're on a Windows PC, you're the guy watching your friend hoof it into the sunset while the tiger starts to lick its chops.

Bill-

Thanks for the heads up. I hate to bring this up but does this mean we should be fearful about using pp with our dealers since this is where the hackers are apparently centering their efforts?

I wouldn't think so.

Let's suppose that you are from Tampa, Florida and, for whatever reason, I choose you to target specifically and manage to identify a login/password that you use. Maybe I target you specifically, or maybe I got it via blanket phish.

FIRST, I probably want to try banks so I go to my list and ID the ten banks that most Tampa residents use, plus USAA if I thenk you may have been military, and/or Suncoast if I think you/wife are employees of state/fed government. I go to their sites and try to log in. Maybe I hit something, maybe I don't, but it only takes ten minutes. Next I try EBAY, pp, and whatever Forums. Again, maybe I hit something, or maybe not. Then I try AOL, Yahoo, etc.

If nothing else, with your name, address, SSN and DOB, I may be able to get some cedit cards in your name. When you know how they do that, you cannot believe how easy it is.

To answer your question, pp is probably as safe as anything there is - especially if you fund it with Amex because if pp won't help you, Amex probably will.

Bill