When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Take care when fitting an SS bracelet

TeeJay

Uh-oh, at least you got one day with the bracelet on.... Must be devastating.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'devastating', but I'm pretty annoyed with myself :lol: Even more so, as when I shook the remains out, the movement sprang back to life, so, I thought I'd blow through the hole to try and clear any small dust particles, but it's now completely died. Something tells me that the movement's going to need a complete stripdown to make suere there's nothing fouling it before a replacement caseback can be fitted... OH well, I needed a reason to put my Planet Ocean Big Size back on :D

Ah [censored] mate sorry to see that

Thanks :) What can I say? [censored] happens... I was talking with my fiance, and she said she'd order me the 127 as a replacement for my birthday next week, rather than for christmas :thumbsupsmileyanim: It was clearly Allah's will that it get broken so I could have the replacement :D Something good coming from something bad :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'devastating', but I'm pretty annoyed with myself :lol: Even more so, as when I shook the remains out, the movement sprang back to life, so, I thought I'd blow through the hole to try and clear any small dust particles, but it's now completely died. Something tells me that the movement's going to need a complete stripdown to make suere there's nothing fouling it before a replacement caseback can be fitted... OH well, I needed a reason to put my Planet Ocean Big Size back on :D

Thanks :) What can I say? [censored] happens... I was talking with my fiance, and she said she'd order me the 127 as a replacement for my birthday next week, rather than for christmas :thumbsupsmileyanim: It was clearly Allah's will that it get broken so I could have the replacement :D Something good coming from something bad :)

I see that Andrew has a good example of the 127 for sale. :p

That's the spirit! This isn't my birthday watch is it??? :p

Funny you should mention that... :lol:

I see that Andrew has a good example of the 127 for sale. :p

:lol: I think I'll stick with my own source, at least I know what I order is what I'll receive ;)

Got to say TJ you are taking this well, i remember when i dropped my marina militare vintage i was fuming for a good couple of days. Good news about the 127 though. That has got to make to you feel better.

Well, I figure it's not really something I can do anything about, so no sense in me getting stressed over it. The most frustrating thing, is the thought that I might have fouled the movement myself by trying to clear it, so that's definitely going to require costs in repairs... I'm posting pics of the movement in a moment, and yes, I think the 127 as a replacement has taken the sting out. Lucky for me that it's my birthday next week :D

Never dropped a whole watch, but an almost unsourceable sandwich crystal. Still kicking my ass for that. Have my solidarity.

Sorry for the [censored] that happened, TeeJay :mellow::(

A different way to look at it, this may be an opportunity to get a new 111h. ;) Nevermind about the higher end mods, but you may wish to try fish at least one that looks more correct.

Here's how I see this '111h':

- Sandwich dial tells me it's an H-series Luminor Marina (PAM111h).

- Case back marking tells me it's an E-series (PAM111e)

- Movement tells me it's a pre-E series Luminor Marina (PAM001).

- Brushed case tells me it's a titanium case or an automatic.

For one, the movement in this '111h' looks like older looking OP III, which would be correct for PAM001 rep (precedent of PAM111). The 111 houses the newer OP IX (which replaced OP III) have has a different looking bridges from this one.

Secondly, even with the correct look on the movement, the case should not be brushed for an SS Luminor. The only Luminor cases that are brushed are Ti or Luminor Automatic.

If you are looking for a new 111H, be sure to ask your dealer for one that looks like one. Should you need any help, buddy, feel free to ask ^_^

Edited by seraphe

Here's how I see this '111h':

??????????

- Sandwich dial tells me it's an H-series Luminor Marina (PAM111h).

Where do you see the sandwich dial?

- Case back marking tells me it's an E-series (PAM111e)

E or F. The letter says "E", while the "/4000" millesimation says "F" (on E-series it is "/3500").

- Movement tells me it's a pre-E series Luminor Marina (PAM001).

??

The 001 has an OP II movement.

The movement in the pics is correct to the 111 E and F series.

Also, The OP 6567 number on the caseback is correct to the 111, while a 001 would be OP 6500, 6502, 6518, or 6520.

- Brushed case tells me it's a titanium case or an automatic.

Hard to tell about the case from the pic.

But the CG surely looks polished, that is correct to the 111 E and F series.

For one, the movement in this '111h' looks like older looking OP III, which would be correct for PAM001 rep.

Maybe it would be correct for PAM001 rep, but surely not for PAM001 gen as it mounted OP II movement.

The 111 houses the newer OP IX (which replaced OP III)

The 111 houses the OP XI (which replaced OP II)

has a different looking bridges from this one.

The movement on 111E and 111F looks exactly like this one.

I hate to look so picky, but searching for a correct 111 under those assumptions is going to result extremely hard, and I wish to avoid anyone that hassle.

??????????

Where do you see the sandwich dial?

Saw this from his earlier post... or I thought I saw it. I could be wrong. :p

E or F. The letter says "E", while the "/4000" millesimation says "F" (on E-series it is "/3500").

I wasn't quite paying attention to the "/4000". I simply saw the "E" which is more obvious. But you could be right since you know better about this.

??

The 001 has an OP II movement.

Ooops. My bad. I meant to say OP II but instead I quoted a wrong one. OP III is an automatic. You're right again.

The movement in the pics is correct to the 111 E and F series.

This I do not agree. Movement for 111E and F series should look like this, while his movement looks like this...

b58648e5.jpg

Also, The OP 6567 number on the caseback is correct to the 111, while a 001 would be OP 6500, 6502, 6518, or 6520.

So based on the above understanding of the movement, this is the wrong caseback to the 111. The caseback for this movment should be closed.

Hard to tell about the case from the pic.

But the CG surely looks polished, that is correct to the 111 E and F series.

Maybe it would be correct for PAM001 rep, but surely not for PAM001 gen as it mounted OP II movement.

Again, see his initial post on this same watch when he first got his SS bracelet... here. It could be a trick to my eyes, but the pics tell me the case is brushed.

The 111 houses the OP XI (which replaced OP II)

The movement on 111E and 111F looks exactly like this one.

Again, my mistake pre-E movements should be OP II, which is exactly what this movement looks like.

I hate to look so picky, but searching for a correct 111 under those assumptions is going to result extremely hard, and I wish to avoid anyone that hassle.

No problem. It's a good sharing of info we exercise here. :D My intention of my initial reply was to express my confusion with this '111h' he has. Looks like a hybrid of pre-E and E/F series to me.

Saw this from his earlier post... or I thought I saw it. I could be wrong. :p

I admit I completely missed that post. Still, if this is that same watch, I think that the brushed case just makes for an inaccuracy about a 111, it is not enough to make for a 001 in consideration of all other features.

This I do not agree. Movement for 111E and F series should look like this, while his movement looks like this...

b58648e5.jpg

Got mislead by the cracked crystal. I honestly believed this movement was like in your first pic. Ok, point taken.

No problem. It's a good sharing of info we exercise here. :D My intention of my initial reply was to express my confusion with this '111h' he has. Looks like a hybrid of pre-E and E/F series to me.

Really. I agree. It looks we agree this is all but a 111H. :D

I'll try to summarize, as this got a bit confused.

This watch is:

001 like: movement.

111X like: display back, OP number.

111E like: serial number, polished CG.

111F like: millesimation number, polished CG.

111H like: sandwich dial (is it?).

fAAWWW SHOOT... TJ ... God's will be done ..

I have to confess when I first saw the pic.. I thought... "Shoot, I just sent out the straps .. all 4 of them"... anyway you should be recieving it next week sometime.. funny how it takes the same time to UK as to the Mainland

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL B)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Note to self: Move work bench to carpeted area of workshop!!!

As everyone else has said, you are taking this very well. I stripped a screw the other day (easy fix, just replace the screw) and swore for two hours!

Just to clear up a few points, I know there were some inaccuracies to the genuine 111h specifications, but these are the things that I can guarantee about the watch:

The watch does have a sandwich dial. I admit, the top layer is very thin, and my photos do not really capture this aspect well, but it does have a sandwich dial.

The case is brushed. The bezel and the crown guards are polished. I know this is inaccurate, but, I like the contrast it makes, and it blends better with the SS Bracelet.

The movement, is as identified in the other thread, an Asian copy of a Unitas movement. Now, the sale did not specify that the movement was Asian, but, there were other watches of much higher prices, where the movements were specified as genuine Swiss. I admit, it is reading between the lines, and deducing one thing from something else, but by pricing, it was never suggested by the dealer that the movement was genuine Swiss, ergo, it had to be an Asian copy.

I've taken the watch in to have the movement examined and hopefully repaired. It was working after I dropped it, and when I shook the 'chunks' out of the case, it was still working, however, it stopped working when I blew into the case (not realizing I could remove it) and potentially blew glass dust into the works. Hopefully, a strip down and clean, and it will work. If the watch smith says the movement needs replacing, I will likely not have any work done to it, as I do not believe that blowing glass dust would have ruined the movement beyond repair...

Note to self: Move work bench to carpeted area of workshop!!!

As everyone else has said, you are taking this very well. I stripped a screw the other day (easy fix, just replace the screw) and swore for two hours!

Cancel the note to self... The watch landed on carpet. One end of the bracelet was attached, and, when I removed the leather strap from the other lug, the weight pulled it from my hand. The damage was caused, not by the watch hitting the floor, but by the strap whipping the clasp into the center of the back...

As I said, it wasn't worth getting mad over, and, the promise of a 127 for my birthday more than makes up for the temporary loss (as I am sure it is repairable :) )

Or this will happen:

7ccc5b8c.jpg

:lol::o:angry2::cry::doh:<_<

OMG. I am so sorry, TeeJay. Bracelets are cursed. Look what they did to my diamond scratch on the PAM 111h crystal. <_<

Okay, not cursed. But bloody inconvenient things. Meh.

P.S.: I read about the Fiddy! Yay! If you confirm, I can change one of the straps I was going to throw in extra, to a Fiddy strap. :)

OMG. I am so sorry, TeeJay. Bracelets are cursed. Look what they did to my diamond scratch on the PAM 111h crystal. <_<

Okay, not cursed. But bloody inconvenient things. Meh.

P.S.: I read about the Fiddy! Yay! If you confirm, I can change one of the straps I was going to throw in extra, to a Fiddy strap. :)

I guess these things happen, it's not worth me getting too angry over, the movement will either be repairable, or I'll just buy another watch (whichever is the cheapest option) and either way, (once I hear back from my dealer) my fiance's said she'll pay for the 127 (can't bring myself to use The 'F' Word :lol: ) as my birthday present (should arrive either on the day, or the day after :D ) I'm sure whatever you send will be fantastic, and place my trust in your judgement :)

V.....great avatar of our hero John Terry. Playing with a fractured cheekbone....i've had one of those from a clash of heads on the soccer pitch....it hurts and normally takes 3 weeks to mend at least. JT broke his last Saturday! What a great result tonight. Chelsea are back!

ps Sorry to crap on this thread but an explanation of the avatar was needed on this fantastic night for the Blues.

Edited by Emmzy

V.....great avatar of our hero John Terry. Playing with a fractured cheekbone....i've had one of those from a clash of heads on the soccer pitch....it hurts and normally takes 3 weeks to mend at least. JT broke his last Saturday! What a great result tonight. Chelsea are back!

ps Sorry to crap on this thread but an explanation of the avatar was needed on this fantastic night for the Blues.

Hey! I don't even like John Terry, or the Rentboys! But I'm glad you're happy, and that a British club did well, so there. :)

(I also don't like the slight whiff of anti-Semitism about the whole Avram Grant situation, so the Blues have my sympathy for now)

On the original topic, isn't sombody selling a caseback or two in the trade area? Could be wrong.

If the movement works, and the balance area is clear, don't worry too much about glass getting where it doesn't belong. It should drop out of the balance fairly easily.

I usually 'test' my glue-work it seems by dropping almost every movement I touch--so it happens :D Been trying not to do that anymore.

Cheers.

On the original topic, isn't sombody selling a caseback or two in the trade area? Could be wrong.

If the movement works, and the balance area is clear, don't worry too much about glass getting where it doesn't belong. It should drop out of the balance fairly easily.

I usually 'test' my glue-work it seems by dropping almost every movement I touch--so it happens :D Been trying not to do that anymore.

Cheers.

I'm waiting on an email back from my dealer, but I am hoping they'll be able to send (even if I have to pay) a new back. If they can't, and, depending on the costs for repairs, I'll likely just order an identical replacement. I wouldn't mind paying the watchsmiths for a new movement if I'd actually done anything to the movement which could have killed it (like my attempts of regulation) but it literally only stopped working when I blew to remove the glass dust. At that point, I hadn't thought to use the 'rubber glove' method to get the back off. Looking back, it might've been an idea to try that first, but hindsight is always 20/20 :)