When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Room

k2222

back on topic:

i though the vintage forum was going to be intended for a subsection on the rolex brand only.

im not sure theres the traffic on the other watches to warrant a split.

my own feeling is that these would stagnate and people wouldnt frequent enough to get threads moving when new info went up.

if there was a vintage split on the rolex models though i think it would be to everyones benefit. it would be traffic heavy and clean up the rolex section too given the very different info relating to each from dial and parts to construction.

nanuq: I really like that band you have on your GMT and the dw is sexy...thats my fav rolex band next to the rolessor...did you have any problems fitting the band to the case? doesnt that band use a dif spring bar

Edited by UB7

I understand BT's points, but I think the idea for a vintage forum isn't just about a place to post pictures. At least that wasn't my understanding of it. What if there were an area in the Knowledge Base section for vintaging tutorials? For example, how to get that perfect "aged yellow" for a Rolex or a Panerai. I assume there might be different methods for each brand. There are members here who have done a lot of work in this area and would be great help to others just starting out. I think this would have been the essence of a vintage forum. The idea that there would be a specific place on the forum where people could go to get tips for creating vintage reps based on gens and share information and How-To's.

It's too bad that one of the best ideas to come along here has been officially shot down.

If you go back and read the start of the post, you realize that a "straw man" has been set up and lit on fire with a match.

Where was the proposal that it would be a "Sub" forum or even a Rolex forum?

I didn't see that until the nay sayers chimed in. They just made it up.

It was a great idea while it lasted.

Carl

It's too bad that one of the best ideas to come along here has been officially shot down.

If you go back and read the start of the post, you realize that a "straw man" has been set up and lit on fire with a match.

Where was the proposal that it would be a "Sub" forum or even a Rolex forum?

I didn't see that until the nay sayers chimed in. They just made it up.

It was a great idea while it lasted.

Carl

It wasn't "officially" shut down. I don't represent any "official" opinion. I just represent my own opinion as a fellow collector. And I don't decide it... that's up to admin. I thought this all was just normal communication about pros and cons. It would be quite sad if we always agreed on everything... that would be like Erich Honecker's official DDR.

Personally, I just think it's a nice idea (in principle), but it has some serious downsides (which I listed).

But maybe we could create a sub-subforum to Watch repair & upgrade "Vintage mods" or something? How's that sound? That wouldn't screw the "Brand specific" subforum theme we use. I'm just afraid it would bury down there and become unused territory after a while.

And if I understand correctly, "Watch repair and upgrade" was initially designed for this exact purpose. Do we really, really need more and more subforums all the time, and would dozens of small subcategories serve the forums overall (from the members' point of view)? I think that's the main question... and personally I don't think so.

Edit: Would it be a good idea to change "Watch repair & upgrade" to "Watch repair, upgrade & Mods"? Just a suggestion.

i think the idea of a "vintage mods" subform might be the way to go.. we could show pics and as well post tips on how to age that Breitling strap or DRSD caseback... Right now this information is scattered over many subforums and sometimes difficult to find.