When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I played Macgyver today...................

jfreeman420

This post has two purposes. First I ordered a screwdriver set from Birdman yesterday and It arrived at my office today!!! Good job birdman. The set is definately high quality. Didn't know the French were such good tool makers. :lol: I showed off the nice new set of screwdrivers to my secretaries and they smiled and gave me a "that's nice" comment when I knew damn well they could give a [censored].

I did make a couple of comments that I wish I had something to fix. Even asked around if anyone needed a pair of eyeglasses tightened or a watch sized. All I got were blank stares and looks of confusion. I could imagine they were thinking has the boss gone completely nuts?

Anyway unfortunately or fortunately I look at my brand new gold Breitling Bentley and it says 7:00. I look at my computer and it says 9:00. Then the dreaded look at the asian 7750 running seconds and oh my god they stopped!!! I shake the watch and nothing. Nothing except a little rattle. The ever so loud quiet rattle of a little screw. Now I am [censored]. But no fear, I have my trusty screw drivers!!! I pop off the band and try to lossen the back with my thumbs and it doesn't budge. Figures, I get the one watch they tighten the back on and my case openers and wrenches are one thing I don't keep in my office.

So I hurriedly scuffle through my drawers and look for something, anything that I can use as a case opening tool. I certainly don't want to wait another 1.5 hours until I ge thome to fix my watch. that would be ludicris. How would I be able to concentrate on the 17 mile drive knowing the watch on my wrist is stopped?

Then there it was. Peeking it's beautiful matte silver head out from under the paperwork.....................................

A roll of duct tape. Yes that's it!!! I remember from RWG people open their watches with duct tape. My savior!!! So I rip off a length of tape, ball it up and stick to the back of my watch. I push and turn and voilla. Off it comes. I look around the movement and I don't see anything amiss. Then I carefully turn it upside down and two tiny little piece fall out. One was a screw and the other a piece of metal with a hole in it. Well I ahve no idea where they go so I hope they weren't needed anyway. I look at the dial and it is working, but I can't help but wonder where these come from. I look in the movement and spin the rotor around (the movement in this watch is very well finished BTW). I notice there is a space on the edge of the moevment where this would fit. Aha. It was just the bracket that hold the movement in. No big deal. I screw it back in, tighten the back with duct tape and wipe off the residue with a soft cloth. A happy ending and the screwdrivers came in the nick of time.

RWG saved the day!!! Thanks RWG!!!

Edited by jfreeman420

You are a better watch smith than I am, when I try to put those stupid movement brackets back in I need a pair of tweezers, magnet and a glass of water (keeps my mouth moist while I cuss a lot). ;) Nice work and it's great your screwdrivers came in handy. :thumbsupsmileyanim: