When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC Vs Drop Ship

Feta1

Hey guys,

Is there a list of all the dealers (Trusty, Josh, Silix, PT, TTK, DSN, TWP, etc) who we believe drop ship vs actually check the watch? For example, i am pretty sure Josh and Trusty drop ship. Thanks!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=177001

42 replies, all with different opinions. It was a hot thread when I first joined in June.

I believe Silix is a drop-shipper. I know people have posted that delays were explained by "Watch did not meet QC". However, given that both X-33 watches I received would have failed any level of QC, as well as having orders missing requested product, I have my doubts as to wether or not this is actually done, or just a happily accepted excuse.

Since Prince mods most watches, isn't it safe to assume he QC's them? After all there is a 3 - 4 week wait.

TWP is very upfront about such things, at least, when he sold cheaper watches in RWI.

Sometimes he would put "$125 drop-shipped, $130 inspected" etc. on his sales threads, so you knew exactly what to expect. Maybe some people are going, well, that's not right -- but I'd MUCH rather have a dealer like he, who is straight-up HONEST about what he does, than not.

I think TWP is now into modding PAMs, and selling high-end watches, so those days may be gone. As LordRasta said, he mods them, and I'm quite sure that means he QCs them. :)

TWP is very upfront about such things, at least, when he sold cheaper watches in RWI.

Sometimes he would put "$125 drop-shipped, $130 inspected" etc. on his sales threads, so you knew exactly what to expect. Maybe some people are going, well, that's not right -- but I'd MUCH rather have a dealer like he, who is straight-up HONEST about what he does, than not.

I think TWP is now into modding PAMs, and selling high-end watches, so those days may be gone. As LordRasta said, he mods them, and I'm quite sure that means he QCs them. :)

He does seem very honest, I asked for a part and he asked if he could drop-ship, giving me the option.

Seems a straight and honest guy.

He does seem very honest, I asked for a part and he asked if he could drop-ship, giving me the option.

Seems a straight and honest guy.

Absolutely. When I receive my PAM 127, (and have the spare cash :lol: ) I'll be sending it to him for a cannon pinion fix and 'plume' job. I'm not having the mods done to increase 'accuracy to gen', but because when it arrives, as it's a birthday present for my fiance, it will be my daily watch (if I don't wear it, I'll get skinned alive :lol: ) so I figure with that being the case, I want it to have decent lume as I do spend quite a bit of time sitting up late without lights on :D The cannon pinion was something he suggested, but I figure is worth the expense :)

Edited by TeeJay

• 2 months later...

With my limited experience I will add my observations in what I THINK happens. I hope that the dealers will add their own statements here as to what they actually do. I think that the dealers who "QC" their products typically do a VISUAL inspection on each item before it is shipped. I often hear about dealers "hand picking" watches and this would fall under this catagory. Unfortunately I have received a pair of watches from a well-known, well-respected "hand picker" as I understand it, and both of the watches failed to FUNCTION properly. Both of course were accepted in return and will no doubt be fixed/replaced, but it is something that would slip though what I believe we are calling "QC" here.

Now I do have direct experience with one that actually had delayed shipping to put a watch on his winder to QC it, and that person was WBK. That is awesome QC in my book. I am thinking that a few others do this as well and am hoping that they pipe up in this post. Of note is that I have had good interactions with dealers in all categories, with the inevitable problem watch showing up from time to time.

Good luck to all in 2008 :)

I had problems with Trusty and Silix. They say they don't drop ship, but yet there are obvious flaws and issues. Given the number of orders they may receive, how much time do they have to QC every one ? Gone are the days of drop shippers for me. This year, I'll upgrade to only QC dealers and respected members of RWG. Saving $30 per watch is no longer a priority anymore - too much hassle when issues occur :D

Over half of the watches I bought from Trusty had problems, none from Silix have. I just assumed Silix QC'd their watches but maybe it was just luck :huh:

look at the issues I had with my X-33 (and its replacement), and the vintage Rolex which was the wrong model... No QC there... I think you got lucky, amigo ;)

I think that the dealers who "QC" their products typically do a VISUAL inspection on each item before it is shipped. I often hear about dealers "hand picking" watches and this would fall under this catagory. Unfortunately I have received a pair of watches from a well-known, well-respected "hand picker" as I understand it, and both of the watches failed to FUNCTION properly. Both of course were accepted in return and will no doubt be fixed/replaced, but it is something that would slip though what I believe we are calling "QC" here.

Bingo - I have had functional challenges with watches from more than one dealer on RWG even after they have been "hand-inspected". However, I'm happy to report that, to date, they have always dealt correctly and graciously with the issue and resolved it. My takeaway is that you direct your business to those who respond to such feedback, and play the odds that they will continue to do the right thing. As someone wrote in one of the more memorable FAQs on the site - buy the dealer, not the watch ;)

I wasnt stating he does or doesnt, just letting the person asking the question know what Josh was meaning.

Natron

I understand that, but Joshua's comment was incredibly vague. He might have meant, that he does not QC. He might have meant, that he does not drop ship. He did not actually state which. I was simply highlighting a post which showed that Joshua is a known drop-shipper. Maybe his business practices have changed since that comment was posted.