When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAMs manual or automatic.. wtf?

TomRiddle

let's jus take the 'most common' models..

are these all manual winded?! none of them are automatic..?

anyone?

the hell..

all of the watches you mentioned above are all manual winds.

111 series

177 series

217 and 127

the 6497 movement has been around for quite some time 50+ years hence the 1950 model.

Panerai has a huge variety of automatics with their Post Vendome lines......

hope this helps.

cc

why.. why oh why must they be manual winds!

Because they're based on 30s diving watches. Back when men were men, women were men and watches were manual wound by fascists in nice shirts.

It's like asking "Why do Aston Martins have to have manual transmission?"

why.. why oh why must they be manual winds!

lol i guess that rids me of my panerai visions :)

What a shame. If the quartz movements were used from the dawn of time measuring devices,the world would have been more than it is today.

Or less.....

See it as changing tv channels without a telecontrol. You can still choose your poison,but you have to get off you comfy chair and push the button with your finger.

I love the fact that the PAM's are manuals. It feels kinda cool winding a watch. The Swiss Unitas 6497 may also be arguably the most reliable type of movement in a rep. It is mainly the autos' that are giving people problems.

Agree 100%.

Tom, I have very few Panerai watches that are automatic. Lemme think. Hmm. 3. The PAM Lion Purdey. The "maiale" PAM 076. And the PAM 199.

They get very little wrist time PROBABLY because they are automatics. I don't touch them, since they're in the winder, and well, I don't get to wind them every two days -- out of sight, out of mind.

I love handwinds. :)

so, how often do you guys wind your pams..? every day? every other day? etc etc..

let me know please

All day long when I wear them. ;) I find myself playing with my manual wind watches a lot when I wear them and wind them a lot too. As mentioned earlier, there's nothing like manually winding a watch, it's a great feeling. :)

Having really only worn automatics (with the exception of a damaged automatic movement which required hand-winding) I've really grown accustomed to the handwinding of PAMs. Sure, it's nice to have an automatic on the wrist and know that it'll take care of itself, but, having to hand wind a watch leads to a somewhat symbiotic relationship with the watch. The wearer relies on the watch to tell the time. The watch relies on the wearer to wind it.

I've never yet worn my 111h to the full extend of it's power reserve (as I didn't want it to stop and not realize until later when I might've actually needed to know precicely what the time was) so I tend to wind it every night before going to bed. Can't wait to get it back from having the movement cleaned ^_^

It's like asking "Why do Aston Martins have to have manual transmission?"

They don't - they put a crappy joke paddle-gear box in their new vantage - I wish they would just stick to manual, people apparently hate it the flappy paddle gear box...

As for hand wind watches - they're great no complaints! I agree its part of the fun winding the watches, i'll go back to pugwash's analogy - just like part of the fun in driving a manual car is changing gears - Sure its sometimes annoying but the majority of the time its alot of fun!

Edited by UB7

I like the manual winds. Although I have several, the automatics are lame unless you wear them everyday so they don't run down and have to be reset. Continuously setting the time puts excessive wear on the crown and tube, which are not exactly the strongest things in many of our reps. Winders are about the lamest concept ever. Now I have to buy automated accessories to keep my automatic watch running?

Automatics were more designed for the "one watch" guy in mind and they work great for that. If you have 30 plus watches they are really a pain. I do like some of the simpler designs, however I am NOT a fan of date windows.

[ii'll go back to pugwash's analogy - just like part of the fun in driving a manual car is changing gears - Sure its sometimes annoying but the majority of the time its alot of fun!

Manual transmission in cars are only annoying:

1) When you're old

2) When you're stuck in rush-hour, inch-by-inch move forward traffic

3) When you're going up a hill or parked in an incline

I love manual transmission vehicles, and I miss them. Sometimes. Must be getting old. :p

But I love me some handwind PAMs! Best part of owning one, other than the strap changing, IMHO. Certainly beats the dread "Quartz" watches I am used to as a woman...