When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When does a watch become "gay"?

anton

So lately I've been trolling all the older posts in this forum and I came across some interesting reads anfd opinions on what people considered to be "gay". Namely, the B&R white ceramic.

I mean, what is a "gay watch"? Do watches have sexual preferences? Just like watches that are considered to be feminine. Why do we let societies and trends dictate how big our watches should be or how small a man can't wear them? Although I'm American, I blame our people. Why is that we seem to think that bigger is better?

What goes through our minds when we make a determination that a watch becomes "gay"? Does it have to meet some type of criteria? What about when a woman is wearing a "man's" watch? Shouldn't that watch be "gay" now? Since, after all, we start wearing watches that is clearly targeted at the opposite gender, does that not make it a "gay" watch?

I mean if a watch wanted to be "gay", why doesn't it have holes for chrono pushers and a dedicated "needle" to stick in there whenever we wanted to push it? (Okay, sorry for becoming sexual).

Who determines these trends? Is there a governing body in the UN to determine what is determined "gay"? Why do we let socieital fashion dictate to us what is "gay" and what is "not?"

I mean, let's say you see Carson Kressley wearing an IWC Aquatimer, is that watch "gay"? And Paul Newman wearing a Rolex daytona with a leopard dial with diamond markers? Should that be a "masculine" watch?

And don't tell me that women can wear men's watches because it looks sexy on them. But not the other way around. I mean, if I like something, who cares what other people think, right? Why should other people dictate to me what should look "normal" for me?

And what is normal anyway?

And what is the definition for "gay" anywho? Last I checked, it meant "happy".

I apologize for my ramblings. But some things are just perplexing, no? :blink:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear a watch out in public,

You must accept/respect comments & decisions about it. :)

Good and bad ones...

When someone says "WOW that's an awesome watch on your wrist", this is good :)

but if someone says "ooooh that's a gay watch man"

You must respect this comment too :)

my .02

Edited by deepsea

Any non-masculine material would tend to give a watch a gay look. White or Pink Strap etc.

Definitely White Ceramic case.

More Diamonds on your Rolex President than needed should be worn with care, so as not to mistake a cool look with a queer one.

Avoid Ruby dials and bezels.

Some, but not all, Red and Yellow dials look gay.

The Versace Bond Street is an example of a plain watch that looks Gay with it's oval shape.

I apologize for my ramblings. But some things are just perplexing, no? :blink:

Does anyone remember Tourby's "Is Panerai a gay watch?" thread?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=275960

Most of your questions were touched on, tongue-in-cheek most times, in that thread, Anton.

I think I went on record by saying that a man's masculinity, across all cultures, across all times, is defined by how unfeminine he is seen. Whereas a woman's femininity is not predicated on how unmasculine she is.

We women can wear trousers, but apart from Celtic peoples, and the odd Greek soldier (Evzones), most men in the West can't put on a skirt without derision or aspersions on their sexuality arising.

This is especially true in the post-modern Western world, but in the East, overt homosexuality is streng verboten either implied or otherwise.

That "shaming" factor of "you run like a girl!" simply does not exist in the opposite gender. If anything, being told I run like a guy was a compliment (I was into track-and-field when younger).

Fashion is mutable. Some men wear manpurses, and many metrosexuals take more care of themselves than many women I know.

But there are some hardcore ideas of what masculine is.

Anything implying daintiness is out. Anything too pink is out. Anything too vibrant and shiny is out.

And good rule of thumb is, if a gay man like Liberace or Elton John likes it, it's out for a straight male. That's just the way it is.

I'm still trying to get my boyfriend to wear a pink shirt. No deal so far. I can't even get him to watch The Dying Gaul, which is a wonderful film. :p

Here on the left coast, I believe the consensus is that watches to do not become gay, but rather that they are born gay. This is strongly supported by the fact that white ceramic watches have, from their conception, always preferred to be worn in the company of dresses and purses and other miscellaneous feminine fashion accessories...

Does anyone remember Tourby's "Is Panerai a gay watch?" thread?, [edited] et al.

Actually, I anticipated your response; forgive me members but you are of but a few who could provide some valuable insight on why such is such.

I was expecting the following answer from most guys: "It's gay because it just is."

I started bringing this up because I have a friend who owns a Breitling Airwolf. Digital functions and all, a complete tool watch. But earlier that day, he was shopping at (where else?) the Apple store and saw one of those Nordic "socialite-looking" types wearing one too.

So he swore he'd never wear the watch again. Because he saw the woman wearing it too. His reason: "A woman wears it now. Then that makes it gay if I wear it".

This is when a watch becomes gay

LOL

RX641-NP0.jpg

Narikaa's beloved Gaytona. Or is that Puggy's?

My nomination for a "no doubt-about-it" masculine watch:

masculinewatchfv4.jpg

Sober (dark) colours. Functional. Mechanical. Chunky.

And an example of a gay watch for a man. This was actually sold on QVC for men last Christmas.

hohowatchjx3.jpg

As I said, too vibrant and shiny. More fashion than function. And wayyy too frisky and light.

So he swore he'd never wear the watch again. Because he saw the woman wearing it too. His reason: "A woman wears it now. Then that makes it gay if I wear it".

Yes, that's a possible and perhaps a more common reaction than many men would cop to here. I myself brought up that point many times, when I started wearing Panerai watches.

Each man has his own definition of gayness. It seems your buddy might have deeper psychological issues than your average guy. Bad experiences growing up perhaps. Sorry to hear it, if true.

I think that watches cross the line into gayness when they try too hard to be butch and masculine, where the emphasis on size and rugged masculinity just smacks of 'trying too hard'. Many Panerais fall into this category for me, sorry folks!

The 45mm Omega PO is another watch that skirts the edge dangerously, especially the rubber strap version - the fact that James Bond wore it notwithstanding. (I love the PO - it's my favourite watch, but it is dangerously close to being limpwristed).

Other than that, the HBB and anything gold or iced up just screams gayness. Don't know why the HBB seems that way but it just does. Something about that styling bugs me.

Edited by The Mentalist

there are some men (straight) that can pull off wearing a pink suit ... I for one cannot....

there are some that are Homophobic .. and think that anything that threatens their masculinity is :"gay" ... :o

some men look very good in Versache sun glasses.. made for women... they still look macho ..

I think it has more to do about how secure you feel about your masulinity than something being labeled "Gay"

Although you could not Pay me to wear western boots with a speedo ... but i would think that maybe there are those who can and still be macho.. NOT... <_<

Personally i have no predjudice concerning Gay people.. as long as they respect my preference ... I like my women .. FEMALE..

As long as your not Bi-sexual.. that's just plain fuc---g greedy ... you want it all.....

Society should allow same sex marriage.. why shouldn't they be miserable like the rest of the world.. :p

there are some men (straight) that can pull off wearing a pink suit ... I for one cannot....

there are some that are Homophobic .. and think that anything that threatens their masculinity is :"gay" ... :o

some men look very good in Versache sun glasses.. made for women... they still look macho ..

I think it has more to do about how secure you feel about your masulinity than something being labeled "Gay"

Although you could not Pay me to wear western boots with a speedo ... but i would think that maybe there are those who can and still be macho.. NOT... <_<

Personally i have no predjudice concerning Gay people.. as long as they respect my preference ... I like my women .. FEMALE..

As long as your not Bi-sexual.. that's just plain fuc---g greedy ... you want it all.....

Society should allow same sex marriage.. why shouldn't they be miserable like the rest of the world.. :p

Yup, you hit on it...it's all about how you carry it. I would never wear a pink suit. However, I can wear things that other men might feel uncomfortable wearing, and yet my sexuality is never questioned. If one constantly doubts his own sexuality, of course he is going to constantly question or flat out reject anything based on the slightest perception of any elements that are remotely feminine. Men who know themselves aren't going to govern themselves based on such stringent standards. Just my .02

I think that watches cross the line into gayness when they try too hard to be butch and masculine, where the emphasis on size and rugged masculinity just smacks of 'trying too hard'. Many Panerais fall into this category for me, sorry folks!

The 45mm Omega PO is another watch that skirts the edge dangerously, especially the rubber strap version - the fact that James Bond wore it notwithstanding. (I love the PO - it's my favourite watch, but it is dangerously close to being limpwristed).

Other than that, the HBB and anything gold or iced up just screams gayness. Don't know why the HBB seems that way but it just does. Something about that styling bugs me.

Yes Mr. Mentalist, but you do love a good show tune now don't you? :p

It's only gay if your balls touch.

Watches don't become gay; people do. By standard "gayness" rules, Panerai are the Brokeback of watches, all repressed macho leather straps doing manly jobs on the outside, but so gaygaygay on the inside. However, that doesn't mean everyone wearing Panerais is gay, much like wearing leather chaps and a cowboy hat doesn't make you gay ... not all the time, anyway. ;)

Much like being called out for wearing replicas, it's not the watch, it's the person wearing it. Some people will get called out for wearing a replica Rolex no matter how good a replica it is and others will never be called out, much like some straight men can make a Chanel ceramic watch look like a decent fashion choice and some gay men can make a Seiko diver look like a gay accessory.

If your shopping decisions are made by whether or not someone else thinks something is gay, you're in trouble, but they're in even more.

I've heard this schtick three times now, Lanikai! Change your material, you sound like Joan Rivers! "Elizabeth Taylor, she has more chins than a Chinese phonebook!". :lol:

Okay, you mentioned something very apposite, Lanikai. Some completely heterosexual men can today pull off things in the past reserved for women, like ladies Versace sunglasses and pink suits. And some gay men don't look as "gay" anymore, because of that.

I was going to place below my usual photo of Man United football player, Cristiano Ronaldo, but speaking of changing material, I've beaten that horse to death on RWG.

I'll do something different. Perhaps a little indiscrete. Here is a photo of a friend of mine back in England. Some of you may recognise him, because he was on telly briefly (he's not famous, per se). But 99% of you will not.

Straight or gay?

EDITTED OUT -- Thought about it, and realised this wasn't a good idea on my part. It's a friend, and once you put a photo out there in the public domain, it stays there. Sorry guys. Those of you who saw it, saw it. For the record, it showed a young blond guy wearing Gucci ladies glasses, a pink shirt, making a moue with his mouth, next to another very effeminate-looking boy. I guess the question stands, even if awkward.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. I realised you don't know which of the two is my friend!! :p ...it's the chap on the right.

He's not bi, so that's not an option. Later, I'll tell you what watch he wears to make it on point.

Men who know themselves aren't going to govern themselves based on such stringent standards.

Ditto.

Every time this gay-or-not-gay stuff surfaces, I am constantly surprised at how many people seem to care about it. :blink:

Ditto.

Every time this gay-or-not-gay stuff surfaces, I am constantly surprised at how many people seem to care about it. :blink:

Because most men have it dinned into them that any sign of homosexuality is equivalent to weakness. They don't want to be perceived as weak, which is feminine. It's a cycle.

Also, remember that I'm guessing the majority of men here are 25-45 years of age. Some guys are secure about who they are at the age of 16 -- nothing will faze them. But men seem to take a bit longer to mature than women. Marriage helps...

EDIT: Oops, wait. This made it sound as if guys here were insecure or touchy about the topic. NOO. Sorry that was not my point.

But anyone to whom this whole "when does a watch become/is gay" is REALLY important (which I think was posted as an exploratory subject, like any other) has emotional issues way outside of rep watches.

It kind of reminds me of Ahmadinejad's absolute conviction that gays do not exist in Iran. :lol:

I love "gay watch"topics almost as much as the "what wacth was on that TV show topics." Therefore I will combine them: Want to see the highest concentration of ultra-masculine Panerai watches on Television? Check out the designers on HGTV. Of course I only watch HGTV because my WIFE does because, like Larry Craig, I have never been gay.

Because most men have it dinned into them that any sign of homosexuality is equivalent to weakness. They don't want to be perceived as weak, which is feminine. It's a cycle.

Also, remember that I'm guessing the majority of men here are 25-45 years of age. Some guys are secure about who they are at the age of 16 -- nothing will faze them. But men seem to take a bit longer to mature than women. Marriage helps...

EDIT: Oops, wait. This made it sound as if guys here were insecure or touchy about the topic. NOO. Sorry that was not my point.

But anyone to whom this whole "when does a watch become/is gay" is REALLY important (which I think was posted as an exploratory subject, like any other) has emotional issues way outside of rep watches.

It kind of reminds me of Ahmadinejad's absolute conviction that gays do not exist in Iran. :lol:

VB, you could not be more wrong. It has nothing to do with men finding being gay as a sign of weakness it is simply that most straight men find it flat out repulsive to even consider having another mans [censored] in their mouth or ass. Thats what it is about, Who made you an authority on the male psyche?, or is just penis envy taking hold? :lol: