When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why replace a stock MBW DRSD movement with a "slow beat" movement?

earnout

Hi. I'm planning my list of mods for my new MBW 1665 DRDS (courtesy of Paso by the way, a flawless transaction and swift delivery to California -- thanks Paul!). I've poured over members reviews of their own modded DRSD's, and I've noticed some members have listed the addition of a "slow beat" movement.

I'd very much appreciate a little enlightenment from the experts here on this.

1) Why do this at all? I believe I read somewhere that the second hand on a stock MBW DRSD movement operates at 8 beats /sec, but the "slow beat" movement is more like 5 beats/ sec. Is this the only reason? Is the second hand on the stock movement just too smooth for an authentic DRDS and therefore a clear tell? (BTW, Paul informs me that my stock MBW DRSD came either with an ETA-2836-2 or ETA-2846-2, but I don't have a case opener of my own to confirm which one I have exactly).

2) Which "slow beat" movement should I get if I want to perform this mod? I've seen discussion of the ETA 2879, but would appreciate confirmation.

3) Will this movement simply drop into my MBW DRSD, or are there other changes I'll need to be aware of (movement spacers? need to replacement hands, alignment with date window, correctness of stock date wheel, need to swap date wheel from stock movement?, etc, etc)

4) Lastly, where can I get one? :-) Have a ballpark estimate of how much I can expect to spend?

Many thanks!

Firstly, check to see if you got a 2836 or a 2846. The former runs at 28,800bph which is all wrong for the 1665. The latter runs at 21,600bph which is much closer to the genuine c.1570 at 19,800bph.

If you have lucked out with a 2846, then leave well alone, no need for any movt transplant. If not, then it's a painless swap to put a 2846 in there re. fitting, hands etc. Not that expensive a movt around 60usd or so.

I have an MBW with the 2836 movement inside. I met a friend who has a gen sub from the early 1970's. Although the watches are different models I was looking at his crown guards, bezel etc etc but the thing that leapt out as being different was the sweep of the second hand. The 2836 is just way too smooth. I did not know at the time that a slow beat eta was available at a reasonable price but I am now collecting parts to mod the MBW and a slow beat 2846 for me is a must.

Good luck with your project.

One more question, it 2836-2 and 2846 interchangable? Just a straight swap will do the job? But I think the date wheel has to be taken out from the rep to put onto the 2846 as the date position is different on the ETA date wheel. Am I correct? I am referring to the 1665 and 1680 in this case. Thanks.

One more question, it 2836-2 and 2846 interchangable? Just a straight swap will do the job? But I think the date wheel has to be taken out from the rep to put onto the 2846 as the date position is different on the ETA date wheel. Am I correct? I am referring to the 1665 and 1680 in this case. Thanks.

1. I already said few posts back it's a straight painless swap :whistling:

2. There is no difference in date position.

3. The only thing you'll need to do is swap/put a date overlay on the 2846 datewheel, either the stock MBW overlay or another (i.e. Ubi's/Archi's).

Ofrei has them here for $70.

The 2846 Day wheel is held onto the center pinion by a small circlip. Just use a small screwdriver to prise off the circlip and the Day ring can be lifted off.

repaustria -- The 'swishing' sound of the ETA comes from the auto-winding module.....if you remove the module, the sound goes away & the movement sounds like a Rolex when manually wound. How are you removing the 'swishing' sound without removing the auto-winding module?

repaustria -- The 'swishing' sound of the ETA comes from the auto-winding module.....if you remove the module, the sound goes away & the movement sounds like a Rolex when manually wound. How are you removing the 'swishing' sound without removing the auto-winding module?

I'm curious how ETA solved this problem with their 2892-2 / 2893-2 line of movements? When manually winding those, you can barely hear it wind, and they wind with no effort and are extremely smooth. My 2893-2 seemed even smoother than Rolex. I couldn't even tell without holding to my ear that it was winding. I thought something was wrong with the movement when I first got it as the crown wound so effortlessly, I thought it may be been broken.

Thank you very much!

This is what I've come to love about RWG and TRC -- the abundance of collective knowledge and the generous exchange between its members. In less than 12 hours you've answered all my questions, and covered topics I wasn't knowledgeable enough to even know to ask. I'm hoping when my project is complete I'll have picked up a few nuggets of learning that I'll be able to share as well.

Best regards.

Huge difference between 28k BPH & 19.8k BPH. I can spot the difference from far away. I've been collecting genuine vintage Rolex for years. Most who are new to watches would be able to tell this difference if they had a chance to see a 19.8bph watch in person.

I am not sure that a newbie could easily see the difference between 28k bph & 19.8 bph, but anyone can hear the difference. Though it is much more difficult to hear (or see) the difference between a Rolex 1570 (19.8 bph)

Rolex_1575.jpg

and an ETA 2846 (21.6 bph)

ETA_2846.jpg

which is why the slower-beat ETA 2846 is better suited to these vintage Rolex reps.

Funny story:

I have lunch with a friend who wears a beautifully worn and faded Pepsi GMT, but doesn't know too much about watches. He takes an interest in my DRSD, so I hand it to him to check out. Knowing that I have several reps, he smiles and draws the conclusion that it's a fake...I ask him why, and he tells me that the second hand should sweep smoothly...mine is too jerky! :rolleyes:

I had to give the whole dissertation about the slow-beat movements on the vintage pieces, and the extra effort that I made to achieve that look....

It just reminds you that most of our work is lost on 99.99999% of the population.

As has been said a thousand times before, most Rolex owners know little or nothing about Rolex watches. While Rolex owners spend most of their time making the money required to buy them, we spend most of our time learning the myriad details that make (and best ways to copy) them.

Avitt -- I hope the skies above look a bit bluer today.

Funny story:

I have lunch with a friend who wears a beautifully worn and faded Pepsi GMT, but doesn't know too much about watches. He takes an interest in my DRSD, so I hand it to him to check out. Knowing that I have several reps, he smiles and draws the conclusion that it's a fake...I ask him why, and he tells me that the second hand should sweep smoothly...mine is too jerky! :rolleyes:

I had to give the whole dissertation about the slow-beat movements on the vintage pieces, and the extra effort that I made to achieve that look....

It just reminds you that most of our work is lost on 99.99999% of the population.

Avit, thank you for the much welcomed perspective. Goodness knows I could use it.

When I first starting reading the boards just a few months ago I just wanted to find a decent daily beater GMT II. That was it.

A few days after I took delivery of the GMT II, the DRSDs started getting my attention too, maybe even a Great White for good measure. Then I bought the MBW DRSD and intended to just do a few simple mods for fun. Now I've made a full blown list in Excel of my desired mods with prices and sources, and now I catch myself studying members' posts on how to swap in a gen 1570 movement, while simultaneously toggling between eBay and Timezone trolling for gen movements. I now know about tritium versus luminox, fat spring bars, pointy crown guards, hollow mid links versus solid (thanks Stephane by the way -- great post), pearls with the silver band versus without ---- STOP..... What's happening to me??

Avit, thank you for the much welcomed perspective. Goodness knows I could use it.

When I first starting reading the boards just a few months ago I just wanted to find a decent daily beater GMT II. That was it.

A few days after I took delivery of the GMT II, the DRSDs started getting my attention too, maybe even a Great White for good measure. Then I bought the MBW DRSD and intended to just do a few simple mods for fun. Now I've made a full blown list in Excel of my desired mods with prices and sources, and now I catch myself studying members' posts on how to swap in a gen 1570 movement, while simultaneously toggling between eBay and Timezone trolling for gen movements. I now know about tritium versus luminox, fat spring bars, pointy crown guards, hollow mid links versus solid (thanks Stephane by the way -- great post), pearls with the silver band versus without ---- STOP..... What's happening to me??

...it's an infection, like MRSA, and you've got it. No cure, I'm afraid. ;)

I have caught it too. Quite worried to hear that there is no cure! I can confirm that I have not even properly started modding my 1665 and I am already wondering what to go for after that. I really am in trouble. Maybe total abstinence is the only answer, like cold turkey, has anyone tried this? How long do the shivers and hallucinations last?