When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Weekend Wrist-Checks (26-28 Oct. 2007)

Victoria

Today, this odd-ball...

post-7786-1193530196_thumb.jpg

Notice the nice rounded, internally AR'd, sapphire crystal, hardly any glare, except from the sharp but shiny dial... with internal date mag... Not bad for $0.99 + shipping....

Except for that "Flying B" second hand :rolleyes: , I wonder why that's there? ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Avitt -- What is the story behind that Russian beauty?

That's a Poljot Strela, freddy333. It caught my attention a few years ago, when it was on PMWF's Top 20 list. This is a limited production (500 pieces) re-release of the 60's and 70's ratchet wheel chronographs. The originals had Swiss Valjoux 3017 movements - The update features the Poljot 3133. With a look that's reminiscent of the Rolex 4113, it's a beautiful piece. The finish and build quality are a notch above most Russians. The downsides are a mineral crystal, and the lack of a quick set date. It's priced like a rep, at about $300-400.

DITTO! That is a gorgeous watch, Avitt. Only you!

Thanks V!

Edited by avitt

That's a Poljot Strela, freddy333. It caught my attention a few years ago, when it was on PMWF's Top 20 list. This is a limited production (500 pieces) re-release of the 60's and 70's ratchet wheel chronographs. The originals had Swiss Valjoux 3017 movements - The update features the Poljot 3133. With a look that's reminiscent of the Rolex 4113, it's a beautiful piece. The finish and build quality are a notch above most Russians. The downsides are a mineral crystal, and the lack of a quick set date. It's priced like a rep, at about $300-400.

Avitt, I collect Poljot watches too. :)

(Just about the only thing I liked of the old Soviet Union, but they drew upon the LONG, and starred tradition of Russian timepiece makers -- I have a post on RWG coming up about that, BTW)

Not sure if you've seen my own previous Poljot Wristies, posted early October. Not nearly as beautiful as yours!

poljotcloseupir5.jpg

poljotwristiefo6.jpg

The Gagarin Shturmanskie :wub:

shturm1em8.jpg

Good site for comparing prices http://poljot-times.com/russian-watches/de...php?cPath=21_23

Well it is early Sunday morning and i have just got home after falling asleep on the sofa at a neighbors party after a couple of beers too many and not changing the time on my watch so i thought i would spend the extra hour here with you all.

DSCN3237.jpg

Got this back on now after the railmaster for the last 3 weeks, the raily has kept almost perfect time maybe plus 2 sec a day if any thing and the SFSO having not set the time on that for over 3 weeks was running a min fast so that is gaining 2 to 3 secs a day, it makes me happy when i have reps running within COSC limits.

Nice poljot, i had a nice chrono a couple of years ago but it did not survive a 100m dash on the rain in New orleans, i sent it back under warentee but never heard any thing again, some you win some you lose!

Thanks V!

Thanks, Avitt. The very reasonable price makes an already attractive watch that much better. How long have you had it (did you buy it when it originally caught your attention or is it a recent acquisition?) & how often does it get wrist time?

V -- I like this one, too. I had something similar awhile back, but it kept terrible time. And banging it, repeatedly, on the sides of Russian T-54 & T-55 tanks did little to improve matters.

Hmmmm. Or should I Russianise that, Gmmmm.

Works in Washington...had armoured Russian vehicles at his disposition...wore a Poljot...Freddy, you are really Valerie Plame, aren't you!

:p

@Tech: Great shot. My fave so far, and that MP Hommage certainly has a certain resemblence to the PAV99.

@Kru: Do you ever sneak a gen pic on the Wristies? I like your choice for today!

@Tech: Great shot. My fave so far, and that MP Hommage certainly has a certain resemblence to the PAV99.

@Kru: Do you ever sneak a gen pic on the Wristies? I like your choice for today!

Thx V...mine's a gen too ;) ....and that MP strap is nearly identical in color to the MP PAV strap...I had it and sold it as it was almost identical. ^_^ I love it and highly recommend its addition to your strap collection.

Wish I could find/afford the real PAV strap.... B)

Thx V...mine's a gen too ;)

Ahh. I remember you commenting about checking "one" of your gens!

....and that MP strap is nearly identical in color to the MP PAV strap...I had it and sold it as it was almost identical. ^_^ I love it and highly recommend its addition to your strap collection.

You mean, the PAV 99? Got it. :)

Have the:

PAV 90

PAV 91 (x2)

PAV 98

PAV 99

My favourites.

Wish I could find/afford the real PAV strap.... B)

Which reminds me! Did you see this on Risti? (The guy is a very nice person, BTW).

People teased him that he had a programme which automatically informed him when a gen PAV was posted on the Accessories Forum. ;)

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1193441684/90+%2B+91+%2B+93+%2B+98+%2B+99+-+Perfect+family (change xx to tt)

DSCF3125.jpg

L to R: PAV 90, PAV 91, PAV 93, PAV 98, PAV 99

That's even more than V's collection, which is saying something!

V-

No I don't post on risti. I am not a member there but I enjoy reading occasional factual posts and have bought there. IMHO, the truth with gens is that you buy them and then you own them. Nice to wear occasionally but I prefer to wear reps which have love and sweat put into them. There are certain events, functions or trips where I only bring a gen but those are very rare. Reps are my true love when it comes to horology. Just wish I could convince the wife. :lol:

Avitt, I collect Poljot watches too. :)

(Just about the only thing I liked of the old Soviet Union, but they drew upon the LONG, and starred tradition of Russian timepiece makers -- I have a post on RWG coming up about that, BTW)

Not sure if you've seen my own previous Poljot Wristies, posted early October. Not nearly as beautiful as yours!

I missed those earlier shots, vbarrett....Very nice! I am really looking forward to your upcoming post on Red watchmaking.

Thanks, Avitt. The very reasonable price makes an already attractive watch that much better. How long have you had it (did you buy it when it originally caught your attention or is it a recent acquisition?) & how often does it get wrist time?

I picked this one up in Dec. of '04, from Frank at russiansouvenirs.com . I immediately dressed it in a Hirsch carbon fiber strap, and it saw moderate use for a couple of years. Recently, however, it's been competing with other chronographs in my collection - So I swapped the strap back to the original calfskin. With renewed interest, I estimate it will be getting 2-4 reps per month.

V-

No I don't post on risti. I am not a member there but I enjoy reading occasional factual posts and have bought there. IMHO, the truth with gens is that you buy them and then you own them. Nice to wear occasionally but I prefer to wear reps which have love and sweat put into them.

That's cool. :)

The majority of watch owners, however, are not modders and they will live and die without ever having peered inside the caseback of their watches. That's also true of people who own cars, although they stand a better chance of actually popping the bonnet/hood every once in a while!

IMHO, this attitude is not exactly wrong. Like many things, it's limited. Incurious. But not wrong.

Stuff looks good. People like stuff. Why complicate things, they think. :p

There are certain events, functions or trips where I only bring a gen but those are very rare. Reps are my true love when it comes to horology. Just wish I could convince the wife. :lol:

BTW, big turn off when men under the age of 89 speak of "the wife".

It makes you sound like Frank Sinatra, and frankly, Kruzer, I've heard you sing. You suck. :lol:

P.S.: You're lucky she's not a fellow WIS. Can you imagine such a watchloving couple's pillow talk?

"Ooh, the things you can do with that Selita movement.

(groan, mumbles something about Seagulls and ETA)

Sock it to me!"