When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 5512 with some upgrades.

RWG Technical

MBW 5512 with some upgrades.

1. ETA 2846 installed.

2. Lug holes and bracelet drilled and Genuine 2mm bars installed.

2.jpg

5.jpg

3. Genuine Crown and tube installed. I have not come across a rolex model that did not accept genuine crowns and tubes. Anyone offering to install a “…more like genuine crown and tube…” is taking you for a ride. Why pay to replace a rep crown and tube with another… rep crown and tube (most likely from the rep sitting next to yours on the workbench), when a genuine crown and tube fits just fine, on all models…(you need to run a tap through the case to get the gen tube to fit, not a bit deal).

This is a “Twinlock” I think, but I am not an expert, the parts were supplied by the watch owner.

3.jpg

4. Crown Guards outer and inner surfaces ground down with a Dremel and Swiss files and polished (they are not “milled” unless your using a milling machine). If you want to see the before, just look at any standard unmodified picture of this watch, they were about twice as wide at the tips.

4.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

5. Genuine T-19 crystal installed. As with the crown and tube, MBW models readily accept genuine crystals, don’t believe the “…I was told these are genuine crystal’s by my supplier…” it’s either genuine, or it isn’t. As with any genuine crystal installation on a MBW, you have to grind down the inner edge of the retaining ring, or it can’t be pushed down flush with the case.

I don’t have the bezel for the watch, so this is why it’s missing.

6. The dial and hands were also re-lumed with a vintage tritium looking super luminova custom mixed.

I think the owner is going to be pleased with the results, I know I am…

7.jpg

RG

I am a little confused. I have yet to come across an MBW the didn't need the case tapped to accept the Gen Tube. I haven't come across a Rep that a Gen Crown fit without the Gen tube.

Perhaps I have confused your statement.

What I was trying to say, was that some modders will tell you that they installed a "more like genuine crown and tube". My point was that if your going to pay for an upgrade, make sure you do get an actual genuine tube and crown, not another rep one.

You are correct on the other points, the case does need a tap run through it, on some it also needs to be drilled out first and then the tap ran through. As well, the gen tube only accepts the gen crown.

The owner jojo35 supplied the parts and I installed them. I only stock the 7mm triplelock crowns and tubes.

@jojo35

Glad you like the pictures, and my pleasure as always.

RG

What I was trying to say, was that some modders will tell you that they installed a "more like genuine crown and tube". My point was that if your going to pay for an upgrade, make sure you do get an actual genuine tube and crown, not another rep one.

You are correct on the other points, the case does need a tap run through it, on some it also needs to be drilled out first and then the tap ran through. As well, the gen tube only accepts the gen crown.

The owner jojo35 supplied the parts and I installed them. I only stock the 7mm triplelock crowns and tubes.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured that was your meaning. Awesome work as always :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Looking very good. JoJo will be a very happy boy. :)

;) I certainly will be happy!!!! It's funny, I was looking at a gen "meters first" 5512 just today (it looks identical by the way). They're asking $4500 for the gen, and it doesn't even come with a bracelet! (or papers.. lol, might as well have a perfect rep!)

Hello again, friend. I don't know if you've seen the set of reference photos I took... here's a link.

Some DRSD reference photos

And here's a shot of my 1971 Triplock ... with no O-ring on the case tube. I thought yours looked familiar! :tu:

DRSD with old Triplock

Great reference photo's, thanks for posting the links. I think I came close with the casework etc.

I thought the term triplock was referring to 3 o'rings, but there are only two on these models, one in the tube, and a flat one in the crown, what does triple refer to? and why no 3 dots on the crown?

RG

Here's a little description of the seals in a Triplock...http://www.horologist.com/rolex_crown.htm
Thank you, printed it off for my files.RG
Ziggy im next my friend....i will send you my single red 1680 for mods....i can not wait for you to be back on January!I have only a gen plexi and a gen insert...i will let the rest for you. Realy looking forward for this!Btw im realy imprest with the work..!!Regards@Epz.
Glad you like the results, I think you already have my email address...RG

I really enjoy this and hope we can keep up some interest on the 55xx models.

Thanks to The Zigmeister for setting this up.

The interest in vintages is well established on this board.

Carl