When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are You One Of Those?

Victoria

shahwatchtl1.gif

Look at the Shah of Iran up there. He has a really sweet Rolex on his wrist, and he wants the world to know it. He's actually TWIRLING it around so that the dial shows off to its best advantage, whereas the more military-minded King Hussein has his hands at parade rest.

Is there anyone you've ever met, or who you work with who makes damn sure you know he's wearing a pricey watch?

Or maybe...you're like him or her? :p

I definitely show off my timepieces, but because I live in Canada, they spend a lot of time covered under sweaters and sleeves. I like to exercise restraint when wearing them, however, because it makes them appear more 'real.' It's a pretty good tell that the guy with rolled up sleeves constantly playing with his Rolex; adjusting it and fondling it, while positioning in the direct angle of vision of anyone in the vicinity, is probably wearing a fake.

I definitely show off my timepieces, but because I live in Canada, they spend a lot of time covered under sweaters and sleeves. I like to exercise restraint when wearing them, however, because it makes them appear more 'real.' It's a pretty good tell that the guy with rolled up sleeves constantly playing with his Rolex; adjusting it and fondling it, while positioning in the direct angle of vision of anyone in the vicinity, is probably wearing a fake.

HAH!

Well, that describes a lot of lawyers I know (specifically, they seem to be the most egregious members of this Show Off Club, in my experience), so this board might be full of attorneys. ;)

BTW, whenever I am meeting someone for the first time, I make sure my watch is visible. But then I also make sure my makeup is on perfectly, adjusting the lipstick just before, so I wasn't sure if this was a me-thing, a girl-thing, or a show-off thing.

It's a little embarrassing to admit one has this habit, Corgi, especially in Canada. :p

hahaha~ that's funny V~ ;)

I've seen many people wearing their obvious fake(worse than canal street quality!)....and act so damn proud and make sure that you see them.......:D .....

usually people who wear gen. don't tend to care much about showing it off.....from my experience...

hahaha~ that's funny V~ ;)

I've seen many people wearing their obvious fake....and act so damn proud.......:D hilarious.....

usually people who wear gen. don't tend to care much about showing it off.....from my experience...

Ooh, Jiro, this might prove one of those controversial threads, unintentionally!

In my experience, nouveaux riches people are obviously very desirous to show off their wealth to you -- be it cars, bling, or watches. Overly competitive businessmen are too.

Old Money (like say old President Bush 41) wear their Pateks on grosgrain straps, and forget they're even wearing it. I've even questioned a few of these types, and they feign -- I think -- not knowing what marque watch they have, strongly suggesting it is in poor taste to mention it...as perhaps it is.

WISses are odd.

We have orgasms when someone comments on the watch we're wearing, but if they're rep watches, sometimes we'll even cover them up because one thinks the details 99% of the world wouldn't even know about, are an instant tell.

Women, in my experience, happily show off their watches, rep or gen. By show off, I mean wear them everywhere, without regard to situation or person they're meeting.

Generalisms, you understand, so I'm just speaking of my experience, not ex cathedra. :)

I might be considered part of the 'show off' crowd by the mentioned criteria, as I never stand with my hands behind my back, and I've rolled my sleeves up since I was about 12, and saw this album cover:

Images1.jpg

It's just a style I find comfortable, as it keeps my arms covered, but leaves my wrist clear so I can read my watch easily. I don't wear my watches for anyone's benefit but my own. I don't need to wear a watch just to impress someone. I don't care if anyone believes that or not, but it's the truth. I get more comments about my tattoos than I do about the watch on my wrist. :lol:

Well, that describes a lot of lawyers I know (specifically, they seem to be the most egregious members of this Show Off Club, in my experience), so this board might be full of attorneys. ;)
Ah, the infamous (and vomit-inducing) Rolex 'elevator shake' or 'lift rattle'. Last time I was subjected to that (one of my colleagues in 'legal') I gave the perpetrator my best sneer combined with a slight shake of my head - sign language for 'w*nker'. Doesn't come up this way anymore :D

BTW, whenever I am meeting someone for the first time, I make sure my watch is visible......so I wasn't sure if this was a me-thing, a girl-thing, or a show-off thing.
Not sure???? C'mon, you know which option we're talking about here don't you? ;) But then I would expect nothing less given your past form :p

No, I am not one of those. However, with certain pieces, no matter how hard I try to hide them (short of taking them off), I still am asked about them quite frequently. Actually, I find that I'm way less likely to cover up a more subdued watch than a more "blingy" one, particularly around women. Not too sure why, since I'm sure it's the other way around for many other guys. Who knows?

Ah, the infamous (and vomit-inducing) Rolex 'elevator shake' or 'lift rattle'. Last time I was subjected to that (one of my colleagues in 'legal') I gave the perpetrator my best sneer combined with a slight shake of my head - sign language for 'w*nker'. Doesn't come up this way anymore :D

Well, you're a little ray of unjudgemental sunshine wherever you go, arentcha, DBR? Sheesh, maybe the guy was giving you the Rep Watch Secret Rattle for all you know!

Not sure???? C'mon, you know which option we're talking about here don't you? ;) But then I would expect nothing less given your past form :p

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you, don't you, don't you"

Yes, yes I do.

Actually, I find that I'm way less likely to cover up a more subdued watch than a more "blingy" one, particularly around women. Not too sure why, since I'm sure it's the other way around for many other guys. Who knows?

Interesting, Defacto. :)

Kindness, gentlemanliness, honourableness are basically things you are, and project, without a person having to wear one thing to show that.

But success, worth, competitiveness all need a lending hand -- that's why people buy pricey bling watches.

If clothes make a prince, watches get a second look from a damsel. ;)

The guy twirling his watch looks like he's wearing a gold big bang, no?

As for me, I always wear short sleeves (too hot for suits in Florida) so it's hard to miss a 48mm gold Bentley.

Ditto for me. 80% of the time in short sleeve blouses, dresses, maillots or t-shirts. ;)

My watches STAND OUT big time. But I still turn the face 'round when I'm meeting a person, in part, I like to think because I HATE when the watch is hanging limply nearly on the side of the wrist. *shiver*

Followup: OH! "The guy" being the Shah of Iran? Yes, I did see that it was slightly larger than your usual Rolex, but since I read he had one of the largest collections in the world of Rolexes, plus I don't think the HBB was around at that time (the photo is from around 1977/8. He was deposed in 1979), I went for Rolex. It could be an AP ROO in gold though, but it just doesn't strike me as one.

Interesting, Defacto. :)

Kindness, gentlemanliness, honourableness are basically things you are, and project, without a person having to wear one thing to show that.

But success, worth, competitiveness all need a lending hand -- that's why people buy pricey bling watches.

If clothes make a prince, watches get a second look from a damsel. ;)

Don't forget the importance of nice shoes :D I was lucky enough to find a pair of handmade gen Givenchy shoes on sale once. Similar color and texture to your kangaroo strap. They don't get worn much as they're not really 'everyday' shoes (although Matthew Broderick wore virtually identical shoes in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) but, the fit is absolutely perfect, as if they were made just for me :D

Guest watchbuff
although Matthew Broderick wore virtually identical shoes in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) but, the fit is absolutely perfect, as if they were made just for me

I hear ya, I have a custom Hermes suit and custom made shoes by Brutini.

How 'bout ... "I just like them."

I wear a different watch every day or two. I change from silver watches to gold when I change from black/blue/gray clothes to earth-tone clothes. Nobody cares ... none of my workmates ... nobody notices ... but me, and I care. Just a matter of style, and personal satisfaction for the look.

Maybe that personal trait that caused the Shah to say "Look at my fancy stuff!" was a part of the Shah's downfall. :lol:

I've never had a pair of custom made shoes yet, but normally have so much hassle getting shoes that fit comfortably, finding this pair, which are literally a perfect fit, was a real find. I do have a custom tailored replica of the leather jacket Tom Cruse wore in Minority Report which I bought with inheritance money, and that is an awesome garment. Not just because leather jackets are awesome and it looks nice, but the little touches of the perfect fit really set it apart from any 'off the rack' item. I'm actually working with the tailor again to come up with another tailored jacket, but I haven't quite settled on a design yet :)

Don't forget the importance of nice shoes :D I was lucky enough to find a pair of handmade gen Givenchy shoes on sale once. Similar color and texture to your kangaroo strap. They don't get worn much as they're not really 'everyday' shoes (although Matthew Broderick wore virtually identical shoes in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) but, the fit is absolutely perfect, as if they were made just for me :D

Agreed, I like having the whole ensemble going; distinguishing oneself with great style is something that money can not buy. When I'm looking to add that extra bit of statement, John Lobb and Berluti are my weapons of choice for shoes. Kiton suits, ascot chang shirts and charvet ties for the rest. However, I'd never hope to own any of the former if I didn't have gracious friends with gracious discounts.

Maybe that personal trait that caused the Shah to say "Look at my fancy stuff!" was a part of the Shah's downfall. :lol:

Perhaps you're on to something there Bob, one who likes to make sure all see the "bling" tends to make others less likely to feel "one" with them......and isn't that what we all want?....just to get along and be "one"?......hehe

Ever notice pam-wearing celebs always have rolled up sleeves?

Yes. :)

I'm not a cynical person by nature, but I try to root around for reasons in life.

IMO, these are amongst the reasons why they do that:

1- They can, same as you and me

2- They have nice bodies and want to show them off, including their wrists ;)

3- They were never rich before and can now afford nice watches

4- They want to show the world they can afford nice watches

5- They have an unspoken t1t-for-tat relationship with marques, whereby they get freebies in exchange for publicity

6- They're competitive with other celebs

7- They like to show they're in the know, and trendsetters

8- Sylvester Stallone

How 'bout ... "I just like them."

Is there any other real reason why people wear so many different watches? :)

I wear a different watch every day or two. I change from silver watches to gold when I change from black/blue/gray clothes to earth-tone clothes. Nobody cares ... none of my workmates ... nobody notices ... but me, and I care. Just a matter of style, and personal satisfaction for the look.

That describes, oh, 90% of people on this forum, would you say? Including me!

You're not far wrong.

Mind you, it's all about knowing how to carry it off. The Queen regularly wears a diamond-encrusted Cartier watch even to informal functions. Ditto with the jewelry (have you seen her rings? Mercy!).

No one says the least thing about it. On the contrary, all everyone talks about are her funny hats, and that horrible plasticky handbag.

She's very wise that woman. She cultivated the image of a frugal frump since she was in her 20s. And though her throne maybe studded in solid gold leaf and rubies, somehow it conveys tradition, not the gaudiness of the Peacock Throne.

EDIT: A visual for you.

The Queen during her recent US trip, next to the US President and the First Lady. She's wearing a solid gold Cartier, encrusted with diamonds (I'll get a better shot one day, for my "Royalty and The History of Watches" forthcoming post), and a diamond brooch PLUS string of pearls which both belonged to her gran, Queen Mary, who in turn, got it from the Romanovs. They are literally, priceless. She's covering the multi-million dollar ring she wears next to Prince Philip's engagement ring.

watchin4.jpg

But all we see is an old lady, wearing clothes which were old-fashioned even in the 1930s, with a clunky handbag which must give Donatella Versace nightmares.

Poor Shah. Guy never stood a chance.

I know they are there. Don't care if anyone else does really. I do love a good "nice watch" comment, or "wow is that a.." who doesnt though? I am always hoping they turn out to be a watch nazi like me so we can talk.

The thing that gets me, is the wrist shake. You know, to get the watch face centered on your wrist when it settles a little off center. I have a complex about that, I am concious of myself to make sure I do not do it often.