When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rollie Sub From Paul/aspire

maxmsu

GOT SUPER ATTEMPED ON THE CRAZY SALE THAT IS GOING ON... ORIGINALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THE $89 Subs then want better version of it... $30 more to get the Swiss ETA, then thought about it why not another $30 to the so called "ORIGINAL movement style" ETA. damn... what should I do? what do you expert think about it? Due to it will be the first sub I am gonna get... are all 3 versions the same except the movement?

any input will be great! :)

The "original style" movement looks really great, but has proved to be more troublesome than the plain ETA.

I bought the "original style" sub from Silix, and it was faulty. ( A gear missed about 30% of its teeths..) Very nice looking though, I was impressed by the looks when I removed the caseback!

At the end of the day, I would go for an ordinary ETA, which has not been too much fiddeled with! :)

Why would you need a movement that only "looks" like the real thing? There is no display back, so what is the point? Unless there are other motives here. :g:

Get something reliable and proven instead.

Why would you need a movement that only "looks" like the real thing? There is no display back, so what is the point? Unless there are other motives here. :g:

Get something reliable and proven instead.

I understand your view... But there is some sort of satisfaction knowing that the movement is nicely rose-polished and engraved, even if you dont see it every day.

And, you can pop the caseback and have a real show-off to your friends! :D

But, as I said, I now go for the stock-ETA. The refined movement does not even recemble the real thing.

I understand your view... But there is some sort of satisfaction knowing that the movement is nicely rose-polished and engraved, even if you dont see it every day.

And, you can pop the caseback and have a real show-off to your friends! :D

But, as I said, I now go for the stock-ETA. The refined movement does not even recemble the real thing.

My thoughts exactly... anyways, I will re-think about this... thanks! :)

I've had mine (ETA from abay/aspire) for a year and it keeps great time. It really is a decent quality watch which is very comparable to alot of other lower end autos. I don't forsee any problems as long as I don't neglect it. Visually, it compares well to the gen (given all the usually gripes that we have). I've got no problem wearing it into any situation...well, except swimming.

GOT SUPER ATTEMPED ON THE CRAZY SALE THAT IS GOING ON... ORIGINALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THE $89 Subs then want better version of it... $30 more to get the Swiss ETA, then thought about it why not another $30 to the so called "ORIGINAL movement style" ETA. damn... what should I do? what do you expert think about it? Due to it will be the first sub I am gonna get... are all 3 versions the same except the movement?

any input will be great! :)

You should get three subs,maybe one more PVD sub for fun.

Why not on more latest TT sub?

Wow,4 dials for TT sub,you should get 4 TT subs.

Just go shopping and enjoy it!!!

It's Aspire crazy sale season~~~~~~~~~

Paul :Jumpy:

Well I bought my black sub (standard ETA movement) from Paul almost over a year ago. Infact I have had it for a year and a half now and it keeps excellent time. Its been modded by palpatine and is close to perfect. I dont care about the movement as long as it keeps perfect time! :) I don't know if Paul still keeps the same quality that he used to. I am sooo out of date, I am actually embarrased. Ever since the switch over to the new site I have been so confused and lost, haha...

Cheers.. good luck

Your Viennawatch

Well I bought my black sub (standard ETA movement) from Paul almost over a year ago. Infact I have had it for a year and a half now and it keeps excellent time. Its been modded by palpatine and is close to perfect. I dont care about the movement as long as it keeps perfect time! :) I don't know if Paul still keeps the same quality that he used to. I am sooo out of date, I am actually embarrased. Ever since the switch over to the new site I have been so confused and lost, haha...

Cheers.. good luck

Your Viennawatch

I remember the old puking pumpkin avatar.

Nice to see you around :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just some thoughts on the mods' done to the 'original-looking' ETA movement..

I belive that it has been disassembled, rose-polished, added some engravings and cut-outs and some of the gears switched with red ones.. then assembled again.. God knows how well they clean and lubes it..

All this thinkering with an ETA that works perfectly fine out of the box cannot be healty to the movement.. Unless the Chineese workmen are as skilled as The Zigmeister...

Edited by chrgod

All this thinkering with an ETA that works perfectly fine out of the box cannot be healty to the movement.. Unless the Chineese workmen are as skilled as The Zigmeister...

Who do you think makes the ETAs?

Here's a clue: It's not the Swiss ...

The big question is: Are the workers who convert the movements to "original-looking" style as skilled as the workmen who makes the stock ETA's ...? Who knows..? <_<

Edited by chrgod

Good God! I thought ETA's came seal packed from Geneva to insure their origin. Cousins gives you the option of buying them this way to insure the quality. Just what are you suggesting? The hair on the back of my neck is standing up I'm so scared!

Good God! I thought ETA's came seal packed from Geneva to insure their origin. Cousins gives you the option of buying them this way to insure the quality. Just what are you suggesting? The hair on the back of my neck is standing up I'm so scared!

ETA makes the movements in China. They are shipped to Switzerland and usually one cog (50% of the value due to the cost of Swiss labour vs Chinese labour) is changed. In doing this, they can call it "Swiss Made".

Don't kid yourself that ETA movements are made by hand by old yodelling men in lederhosen chomping on chocolate and holey cheese while their nazi-gold-powered cuckoo-clock chimes the hour ...

Now, when people like IWC get them, they rip them apart and tweak them to buggery, just to add value, but the ebauches are shipped from China directly to their mountainside fondu-smelling cottages.

Good Lord, every day here is another day of education and stripping away of my ignorance. I did not have an image of lone technicians hovering over single pieces with the Alps in the background but I did see a squeeky clean ISO 9001 factory with lots of employees walking around in clean room suits etc... Is there nothing in the consumer world that doesn't originate in China?

ETA makes the movements in China. They are shipped to Switzerland and usually one cog (50% of the value due to the cost of Swiss labour vs Chinese labour) is changed. In doing this, they can call it "Swiss Made".

Don't kid yourself that ETA movements are made by hand by old yodelling men in lederhosen chomping on chocolate and holey cheese while their nazi-gold-powered cuckoo-clock chimes the hour ...

Now, when people like IWC get them, they rip them apart and tweak them to buggery, just to add value, but the ebauches are shipped from China directly to their mountainside fondu-smelling cottages.

They also lack an enzyme that allows them to metabolize alcohol at the normal rate of one ounce per hour so I guess this explains the lack of Chinese Vodka and Bourbon on the market. It does make for interesting happy hours in Bejing and other asian countries. I never saw so much public drunkeness and vomiting as I did in my trips to Tokyo. You can get quite a buzz on a six pack if you lack the proper genetics to metabolize it!

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/127/5/376

Alcohol Metabolism in Asian-American Men with Genetic Polymorphisms of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase

Tamara L. Wall, PhD; Charles M. Peterson, MD; Karen P. Peterson, PhD; Mona L. Johnson, BA; Holly R. Thomasson, MD, PhD; Maury Cole, BA; and Cindy L. Ehlers, PhD

Cheese. Most orientals are lactose intolerant, believe it or not.
Edited by crystalcranium

They also lack an enzyme that allows them to metabolize alcohol at the normal rate of one ounce per hour so I guess this explains the lack of Chinese Vodka and Bourbon on the market. It does make for interesting happy hours in Bejing and other asian countries. I never saw so much public drunkeness and vomiting as I did in my trips to Tokyo. You can get quite a buzz on a six pack if you lack the proper genetics to metabolize it!

Alcohol Metabolism in Asian-American Men with Genetic Polymorphisms of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase

Tamara L. Wall, PhD; Charles M. Peterson, MD; Karen P. Peterson, PhD; Mona L. Johnson, BA; Holly R. Thomasson, MD, PhD; Maury Cole, BA; and Cindy L. Ehlers, PhD

I thought they have 'rice wine' for that?

:bangin::p:lol:

61223-34623.gif

Scientific references! What a classy forum! :clap3:

With that in mind, this is totally pedantic - I know it is. I think strictly speaking it is a gene 'mutation' that enables them to metabolize alcohol MORE efficiently. It's metabolizing alcohol that makes you drunk. Their problem is that they metabolize acetaldehyde less efficiently - the getting sober bit. :)

Gotta love the last train at night in Tokyo....or maybe not!

Hey, let me amend and clarify my original statement. Asians do not get drunker and stay drunker longer than others as i might have implied in the first post. The lack of a fully functioning set of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase enzymes prevents them from metabolizing alcohols first breakdown product and its' most toxic. The sickness and vomiting is associated with this toxc accumulation, not with enhanced "spins"! It is not aldehyde that gets you drunk, that is ethanol and ethanol alone but accumulation of aldehyde, and those of us who have overwhelmed our normal capacity to metabolize this compound can attest to this, is what makes you sick when you drink too much. The hangover is another animal having to do with the interaction of dehydration and other breakdown products as well as accumulation of other toxins from alcohol compounds unrelated to ethanol metabolisim.

Scientific references! What a classy forum! :clap3:

With that in mind, this is totally pedantic - I know it is. I think strictly speaking it is a gene 'mutation' that enables them to metabolize alcohol MORE efficiently. It's metabolizing alcohol that makes you drunk. Their problem is that they metabolize acetaldehyde less efficiently - the getting sober bit. :)

Gotta love the last train at night in Tokyo....or maybe not!

Hey, let me amend and clarify my original statement. Asians do not get drunker and stay drunker longer than others as i might have implied in the first post. The lack of a fully functioning set of Aldehyde Dehydrogenase enzymes prevents them from metabolizing alcohols first breakdown product and its' most toxic. The sickness and vomiting is associated with this toxc accumulation, not with enhanced "spins"! It is not aldehyde that gets you drunk, that is ethanol and ethanol alone but accumulation of aldehyde, and those of us who have overwhelmed our normal capacity to metabolize this compound can attest to this, is what makes you sick when you drink too much. The hangover is another animal having to do with the interaction of dehydration and other breakdown products as well as accumulation of other toxins from alcohol compounds unrelated to ethanol metabolisim.

Pure class! Good stuff! :notworthy:

Now - onto cheese! :lol: