When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian SFSO dead after 1 month :(

redroom

I knew my happiness couldn't last. It seems that my first rep purchase, an asian SFSO, died on me.

I was just thinking to myself how good the power reserve on the watch was (lasting a couple days) when I noticed this morning that the watch wasn't working.

I gave it a little shake, and still nothing. Gave it a BIG and long shake (20 sec) and the second hand started moving again, but stopped about a minute or so later.

Holding the watch up to my ear and shaking there is definitely something rattling around in there.

Does anyone have any guesses about what this could be? I'd love to hear that it's something easy.

What are my options? I was thinking of opening it up and having a look myself. But is this really advisable if I have no idea what I'm doing?

I was thinking of sending it to one of the repair guys (The Zigmeister etc), but I'm located in EU and I'm not sure if it's worth all the expense for a $100 watch. By the time it's fixed I could have bought a Swiss movement.

Last option is a local repair shop. But I don't know if this is a great idea. If I take it to a little local shop will they confiscate if they find out it's a rep?

I'd appreciate advice with this.

Thanks!

Well the good nres is that a movement swap is not hard to do and also not expencive, but as you say if you are thinking of getting the swiss version any way.

You might be able to recoup some of the cost by selling it as it is.

Last option is a local repair shop. But I don't know if this is a great idea. If I take it to a little local shop will they confiscate if they find out it's a rep?

Unlikely that a local repair shop would take your watch, just be sure to say that it's a rep and ask if they will work on it before you take it to them.

Too bad.

It seems the easiest fix is to replace the movement by it's genuine counterpart : the Miyota 8215.

I read that the Asian ETA is a clone of this one. Should not cost a lot.

Maybe this should be confirmed by The Zigmeister ? I'm pretty sure of that, but can't find the post again.

I think you have a few options:

1. Find out what is loose, not running, and ratteling all point to a loose rotor as already mentioned. Open the caseback and see what is going on.

2. Try manual winding the watch, 20-30 full winds. At least this narrows down what the problem could be, either a winding problem, or a movement problem.

3. If the movement is FUBAR, you can always replace it with a Miyota 8215 as Pix said, a great option.

So all is not lost, and your money is not wasted. Just a setback that's all...

RG

Thanks a lot for all your help. What a fantastic community ! (I have to stop putting off sending in my support donation).

I'll try winding it tonight and see if that works. If it does, am I correct in assuming it's a loose rotor?

Anyways, we'll see and I'll let you guys know...

Perhaps my real introduction to the rep hobby just started now - not when I received the watch :)

Well yesterday evening I opened her up and I didn't see anything loose. I tipped and shook it over a dark towel and nothing.

The rotor screw was in-tact, tight and the rotor was moving freely. I hand wound the watch and the movement started again, so I closed it back up and it seemed to be working ok. I think that the "rattling"might have just been the rotor moving around, but still not sure.

I wore the watch during the evening and it seemed to be working OK. This morning when I woke up the watch had stopped again. I again did a combination of shaking and winding. It started but stopped soon after.

Now it is completely unresponsive - Second hand won't move after winding or shaking - dead :(

Any idea what might have gone wrong with the movement? For my first rep I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I wasn't planning on passing this down to my children or anything, but I would have liked to get a year out of it.

Some of recommended the miyota movement replacement. Where can I order this? Is it an easy enough repair to do myself?

Is it worth it ? Is it a better quality movement than the Asian 21j?

I just sent a mail to Jay @ Silix, telling him that the movement stopped working. I asked him if he would be willing to replace it, or possibly give me credit towards a Swiss - SFSO. We will see what happens. If you guys are interested I'll keep you updated. I am hopeful that he will do something since the watch is only one month old.

I just sent a mail to Jay @ Silix, telling him that the movement stopped working. I asked him if he would be willing to replace it, or possibly give me credit towards a Swiss - SFSO. We will see what happens. If you guys are interested I'll keep you updated. I am hopeful that he will do something since the watch is only one month old.

If Jay wants to have the watch back, that may cost almost as much as getting a new Japanese movement installed.

If you were near Toronto Canada, my watchsmith installes them for $50.00 all in. I have had him install 4 in various watches. All rolexes, 3 were for friends.

If you want a movement, he may send one to you with paypal. You can find someone to install it locally.

PM me and I'll find out the fine details.

Cheers,

RP

Yeah Jay has offered to repair the watch, but I need to ship it back to him. It's a good service, but for a low price watch it might not be worth it. I was thinking of buying another watch from him so that when he ships back my SFSO I'll get the second watch without having to pay shipping.

In any case, does anyone happen to know a watch maker in the NYC area that will have the movement and do the repair? I'll be in NYC starting in Jan.

You can find the Miyota 8215 at Ofrei :

http://www.ofrei.com

Costs 36 dollars, i.e. not expensive.

post-4381-1194609040_thumb.jpg

It's indeed a normal step to have the watch repaired by the dealer... But I don't want to be negative in the post, but we have often seen "repairs" that had no result. (understand what you want to -_-) Better to negociate a refund or as you said, a credit on the next purchase.

Ideally find a watchsmith to do the swap. I know, not that easy...

perhaps a mute point but..

my noob LV stopped once (asian) and i shaked and tapped and freaked out. nothing. completely dead.

i opened the crown and whatnot and it started ticking then stopped again once i had screwed the crown in.

i realized that if i twisted the crown in too tight, it would jam up the movement.

solved my problem.

guess its the risk you take buying an asian. if i know its a watch im going to cherish, i spring for the eta. its just worth it imo

@ Macscac

I would say that your stem is too long or too short, in one case pushing the movement and in the other pulling it, i had a similar case with my custom noob, took me ages to work it out but mine was too short i think it was, i had two stems and crowns there and assembled it with the wrong one, i messed with the hands and the settings as i thought it was a problem there untill i picked up the other stem and then it struck me i had been using the wrong one.

It's so funny that you mentioned this! This is the exact problem! I unscrewed the crown a bit and it started up again! Basically the watch is actually ok now. Although it dies after less than one day of not wearing it. Better than sending it back to Jay. But yeah, I'll be buying ETA from now on. But for now it seems to be fixed and wearable.

perhaps a mute point but..

my noob LV stopped once (asian) and i shaked and tapped and freaked out. nothing. completely dead.

i opened the crown and whatnot and it started ticking then stopped again once i had screwed the crown in.

i realized that if i twisted the crown in too tight, it would jam up the movement.

solved my problem.

guess its the risk you take buying an asian. if i know its a watch im going to cherish, i spring for the eta. its just worth it imo