When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally, it had to happen...I have an Unknown ETA movement

RWG Technical

Pictures to come later on...

I finally got a watch in that has an ETA 2824 with all the markings, etc...but it looks totally different than any other ETA I have seen.

This is not a Sellita model, easy to spot them due to the complete mirror image on bridge attachments.

This model is marked "ETA" and has the movement model marked under the balance, but that is where the similarity ends...

I hope to have time later this week to post detailed pictures, so you can see the difference.

RG

Thanks for the info, The Zigmeister!

I wonder if dealers know about this development and how wide spread this is? I would be good to know exactly what movement one is receiving and paying for. Watches advertised with genuine ETAs (are they really?) are priced well above their Asian counterparts.

Cheers!

Is that a good or bad thing? I'm wondering if it came out of my watch. :)

Probably a bad thing overall...not sure if it's from your watch though.

Dealers are getting mislead already, the ETA "2824" vs what the watch had in it (an ETA "2842") in the ViennaWatch PO is but one example.

Now, we have a movement with all the markings of an ETA, but an outright copy made to look like an ETA.

The good news is this, it's easy to spot the differences, very easy...once I do up the pictorial of the ETA vs Asian Copy, everyone will be an expert, and can easily verify what they have.

RG

Thanks for the update, Ziggy.

It will be very useful to know how to identify the gen ETA from the copy, assuming, as I expect, there will be qualitative differences (favoring the gen ETA). But I can see this becoming a real problem for the average rep buyer, who has neither the tools nor skill to open a watchcase. These people would, once again, be at the mercy of ignorant (or unscrupulous) sellers & end up getting much less than they paid for.

So many answers :1a:

Great that you have now found the replica movement "Grail" (even if its probably quite unholy...even a sacriledge to some horologist)

That being said I am so glad to hear that Klinks words finally and definetly verified by The Zigmeister the masterby the highest authority on this subject around here

Humbly from

Gran :)

I'm not sure nor do I much care what Klink has to do with this (what, is he the Nostradamus of asian movement clones? :rolleyes:), but regardless, it's not really an appropriate or relevant comment to post now is it?

Appropriate is not my game now is it?

It is highly relevant ^_^ at least for those of us who remember the long discussions..often mindless ones... on this very subject back on RWG senior and even thereafter....without history we are lost as true collectors

Peace and love

Gunnarg :group: an

Klink says a lot of things, most of which are total absurdity. I have never noted or listened to what he sprouts off about...nor do I care.

If Klink did indeed know anything that none of us did, this movement would have appeared a long time ago...it didn't appear because Klink knows nothing about nothing, and is a fool.

No need to ever bring up his name on this forum again.

Now back to the topic at hand...

RG

Klink says a lot of things, most of which are total absurdity. I have never noted or listened to what he sprouts off about...nor do I care.

If Klink did indeed know anything that none of us did, this movement would have appeared a long time ago...it didn't appear because Klink knows nothing about nothing, and is a fool.

RG

Now this certainly sounds like an insult or two......but we do have free speech. I love to see a man speak his mind (and I will leave it at that not to start any major fires)

I love RWG :good:

g. :rofl:

Pictures to come later on...

I finally got a watch in that has a honest to goodness copy of an ETA 2836 (or 2824 can't remember) with all the markings, etc...

How do I know it's a copy?

Easy, I spotted it by feel before I even opened the back of the watch case, the rotor was spinning more freely that it should, I though it was an Asian model, but when I opened the case, it was a golden ETA. But upon closer examination, I started to see subtle and then not so subtle differences.

This is not a Sellita model, easy to spot them due to the complete mirror image on bridge attachments.

This model is marked "ETA" and has the movement model marked under the balance, but that is where the similarity ends...

I hope to have time later this week to post detailed pictures, so you can see the difference.

I wonder what this means? After all these years, why now? Is it because of the ETA year 2009- 2010 decision of not selling to anyone outside of Swatch move? Is the movement trying to be passed off as a true ETA? if so, to who?

My supplier has stated to me that getting and being able to maintain ETA movements, even after they stop selling outside of Swatch, is NOT going to be an issue, or problem.

So many questions.

RG

Very interesting. Even more interesting will be your assessment of quality with regards to this movement. Looking forward to seeing more.

Very interesting. Even more interesting will be your assessment of quality with regards to this movement. Looking forward to seeing more.

Just to clairify that this movement is not in for service, it's only a lume job.

So I won't be tearing it down, but I will take some of it apart so you can spot the differences between it an the ETA.

Quality wise, I won't be able to tell except for the external inspection and the readout on the movement analyzer.

RG

Just to clairify that this movement is not in for service, it's only a lume job.

So I won't be tearing it down, but I will take some of it apart so you can spot the differences between it an the ETA.

Quality wise, I won't be able to tell except for the external inspection and the readout on the movement analyzer.

RG

Ah shame... We should get a collection plate going for the owner of this watch so it can undergo a full teardown!

Appropriate is not my game now is it?

It is highly relevant ^_^ at least for those of us who remember the long discussions..often mindless ones... on this very subject back on RWG senior and even thereafter....without history we are lost as true collectors

Peace and love

Gunnarg :group: an

:rolleyes: You really are full of it aren't you? I've been around the boards a long time, on RWG-I and TRC before that, but still have no idea what you're muttering on about or indeed the relevance here. I also see I'm not the only one who thinks you're spouting nonsense. The only thing you said that made any sense just now was the use of the word "mindless" to describe these long-forgotten supposed discussions.

We're interested in the movements not this revisionist history you seem to love banging on about. Since you love talking about the old days, why don't we discuss your inglorious history as a mod at the old board and your uncanny impression of Nero, fiddling whilst RWG-I burned? No??? Thought not.

The Zigmeister, sorry to crap your thread, just carrying out some pest control :D

RG

Couldn't have said it better... B)

Now can't wait for your photos and explanation of the differences. :)

Of course, the thought come to mind - I wonder what implications this will have regarding future servicing and sourcing replacement parts of this movement?

Gunnar please remember that Klink made this comment well over a year ago, it's a bit like me predicting there will be a bushfire in Australia this summer....................it has to happen but no one knows exactly when.

Ken

Thanks for the information The Zigmeister, I can't wait seeing the pics :)

Who knows, maybe some of us have it without knowing it...

As long as it's compatible and not worse qualitywise, I have nothing against a real 2824 (or 2836) clone. Except if the price is the same...which it might be, knowing the habits in this field :o

Which I'd like to know (sorry, good old question), is if the rotor winds in both directions or not. As I have a doubtful movement in my Nautilus, and that would be a good explanation.

:rolleyes: You really are full of it aren't you? I've been around the boards a long time, on RWG-I and TRC before that, but still have no idea what you're muttering on about or indeed the relevance here. I also see I'm not the only one who thinks you're spouting nonsense. The only thing you said that made any sense just now was the use of the word "mindless" to describe these long-forgotten supposed discussions.

We're interested in the movements not this revisionist history you seem to love banging on about. Since you love talking about the old days, why don't we discuss your inglorious history as a mod at the old board and your uncanny impression of Nero, fiddling whilst RWG-I burned? No??? Thought not.

The Zigmeister, sorry to crap your thread, just carrying out some pest control :D

I do not deny my own history or as you puty it "your inglorious history as a mod at the old board and your uncanny impression of Nero, fiddling whilst RWG-I burned? No??? Thought not."

I was bad, maybe worse and I have payed for it and obviously still am reading your lemon posts. That being said I may have been missrepresented by some and chiefly by JF that was the target of my "fiddeling" and it cannot be denied in retrospect that JF was later found to be the real vilain in that sad saga

I am honest about my opinions and am not afraid to speak my mind and I do not easily bend to popular demand

If it bothers you I am glad for it and wish you would continue your little show of of manlyness...I can bite too if I so wish...your opinions give a glimse into who you are and where you stand (I respect that even if I may not agree with your tone)

Now lets see how you fair

Happy timekeeping

Gunnar Gran :rolleyes:

Gunnar please remember that Klink made this comment well over a year ago, it's a bit like me predicting there will be a bushfire in Australia this summer....................it has to happen but no one knows exactly when.

Ken

OK boss! :)

g. (I am only a poor peasant from Norway...... ;) )

What does this have to do with anything?

Now I am starting to wonder about the same thing chieftang.....when Asian copies of ETA movements first appeared maybe? ^_^