When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Present for a friend of mine...

tazzman

Hey all,

ok this is the deal.

My best friend starts his first job on thursday as a traniee at a lawfirm in Stockholm/Sweden and I am into buying him a nice present.

What rep would best fit a young man studying law and working in a small lawfirm.

I dont think it should be anything too fancy or expensive (gen. price shouldnt be too high), but it should fit well with a suit.

He is not awatch-person and honestly I dont think he owns a watch but I belive he must have one! ;)

Please give me some feedback.

/thanks in advance,

Mike

Rolex ex 1 or an Air king, what about a railmaster or aqua terra, all 4 go nicely with a suit and inside a sleave, and are nice with out being to pretentious, i think the PO and SFSO are too big and bulky for every day in a suit.

A steel Rolex Explorer 1 because it goes with any dress style, the gen is reasonably priced & the design is simple enough so that there is little to give it away as a rep. It is also one of the classic doctor/lawyer watches, so it should fit right in in the law firm

DSC_0004.jpg

Here is the link (there is an Asian-powered version on the same site for 1/2 the price)

The VC Overseas might be aiming a bit high, in my opinion, if people know the prices of gen watches.

You want your friend to convey good taste and style, but I'd keep it more understated.

I like the suggestions of the Explorer or Carerra, or even the Timewalker. A co-worker also has an Omega Railmaster, which is another stylish yet understated watch.

I'd only consider one of the diver watches (such as PO or Submariner) if your friend is into water sports and the sportier look would be appropriate in his office.

The VC Overseas might be aiming a bit high, in my opinion, if people know the prices of gen watches.

My thoughts exactly.

Rolex Explorer would be perfect, but if I were a boss, I'd like a hungry young man willing to work for his first Rolex, not one who sashays into the office on his first day, wearing one already.

Perhaps Tag Heuers are very close to that idea, but I would highly recommend getting him one of those. By-Tor's Aquaracer being the most obvious, closest to gen suggestion.

(It would be awful for a young lawyer to be caught out wearing a rep. In the UK, and I believe in the US, lawyers are supposed to be counsellours of the Court and admitted to the Bar based on some moral rectitude. In practise, we all know that's not the case -- but a young man starting out his career shouldn't project sleaziness on the first day!)

EDIT: Ooh, fudge. In my squeaky-clean-Girl-Guide haste, I forgot to mention what a fantastic gesture this is on your part, Tazzman -- no matter on what watch you decide. If only all friends were like you!! :)

A young man just starting is career in law would be well served by an Omega Aqua Terra (white dial with gold indices and alligator strap). It would look smart and be believable for his age and position.

(Photo borrowed from Perfect Clones)

aquaterra.jpg

Edited by jdavis

starting work at a law firm he should be wearing something rather humble. if he is interning, purchase something in the "super rep" category as most of his coworkers will be sporting some pretty serious stuff.

I'd say SMP or a PO. although the tag carerra is pretty accurate also.

A young man just starting is career in law would be well served by an Omega Aqua Terra (white dial with gold indices and alligator strap). It would look smart and be believable for his age and position.

(Photo borrowed from Perfect Clones)

aquaterra.jpg

I really like the aqua terra.. hmm this just getting harder and harder,

and when I finally have decided I have to choose between strap and bracelet and dial colour ..! *aah*

Great gesture!

So as other members already said, I wouldn't buy him a watch he possibly cannot afford. I would stick with a more affordable watch like a Tag Heuer Link/Carrera/Aquaracer, Omega SMP/Aqua Terra or Breitling Stealfish. Most dressy of these are the Aqua Terra on strap (as in jdavis post) or Link Chrono.

Good luck!

@jdavis: excellent choice!

Nothing says "success" like Rolex ;)

Get him an Air-king (very very similar to the explorer I). ANyone who can save some money can guy one if they really want to. An airking is a NICE watch yet believable in his situation.

I have the same one,

Dad has the gen. In fact, I do believe that was one of the first watches he ever bought for himself.

Omega is a SOLID marque, Tazzman. You chose very well. :tu:

im sure your freind will be very happy and know who his good freinds are!

RWG'ers are the best. :)

EDIT: Tazzman, you MAY want to invest just a little more in a better leather band, for your friend. The one in the photo isn't THAT bad, but rep watch bands as you know, are just awful.

http://www.internationalwatchman.com/exotic.html

Not sure they do international sales, but for those prices, you CANNOT beat that quality of croc, gator, etc leathers.

EDIT #2: Tazzman, make SURE you tell Joshua that that is the strap you want (I noticed just now it's a deployant).

My mum ordered a watch from him, specifying the colour of the strap, with deployant, etc. but still the wrong colour and tang buckle one arrived.

Don't worry, he makes it up to you immediately -- but just to make sure there are no disappointments on your end, and for your friend. :)