When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joe, A Word Of Caution....

This is a very sad story. When I started doing mods for members I did not realise the amount of work that might be generated by it and it is almost at the point where I could turn this into a full time business were it not for the fact that the supply and demand for this is finite. So I do this in my spare time as a hobby and now have so little spare time left that sometimes I wonder if I should have got involved at all!! One of the most difficult things for me is having the time to reply to the endless emails and PM's (apologies to some who might have PM'd me without a reply - I lose track of who I have and have not replied to). Sure I make money out of it - I am not a charity - and one of the things I found it very difficult was to set prices that reasonably reflect the time, effort, sacrifices (my GF hardly gets any of me to herself now), and of course the material costs but as Joe seems to be making this his sole business then proper pricing and communications are as important as the work itself.

I have got several members watches here that I have had for some considerable time now and I feel terrible about it but it is due to circumstances beyond my control (the 7753 datewheel project) and although I have not emailed the members individually I have tried to keep them informed of developemnts via the thread and they all know the situation. Ironically Joe is one of my customers in this project and as it is I have had to ask those invloved for an additional payment due to the extra costs that have been incurred (I have swallowed a large chunk of the initial losses myself and am happy to do so but only upto a point) and Joe was the only one who challenged this!! Maybe I should charge him to get it back!!!

It is wholly irresponsible and indefensible of Joe to start attacking The Zigmeister in personal emails, but to add Tommy into that equation is beyond me, I am now suprised that my name was not mentioned. Not every member in the UK/EU wants to send their watches to the US as Customs there and back are risky but there is absolutely no Customs issues with EU-EU mail so Tommy and I, I hope, provide a valuable service to those members.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is wholly irresponsible and indefensible of Joe to start attacking The Zigmeister in personal emails, but to add Tommy into that equation is beyond me, I am now suprised that my name was not mentioned. Not every member in the UK/EU wants to send their watches to the US as Customs there and back are risky but there is absolutely no Customs issues with EU-EU mail so Tommy and I, I hope, provide a valuable service to those members.

I hope I'm wrong, but maybe because you have got his watch.

Again I hope I'm wrong, but maybe he's waiting for his datewheel and then rip into you for taking so long etc etc. :(

(I have swallowed a large chunk of the initial losses myself and am happy to do so but only upto a point) and Joe was the only one who challenged this!! Maybe I should charge him to get it back!!!

i wanted to keep out of that although it seems i am on the [censored] list of joe (and i really do not care).

i can say 2 things:

the PM that was mentioned where The Zigmeister (and me) were bashed was not a one time thing. for some time now, here and there, some members told me that and forwarded me mails and PMs from him that have exactly the same bashing phrases in it. "i am the best, i invented all mods, i am the only one who can make the cgs, The Zigmeister and/or palp and/or whoever copied my work etc etc". but i thought, wth, as long as he believes it and he is happy, i do not care.

That all indicates that the mod business and the incomes from it is that important to joe that he makes these things and efforts. in contrary to me, its only a hobby for me. i do not make it for the money in the first instance (and many who had business with me can confirm that).

i am not angry at him but i am disappointed because i thought we come along quite well, i helped him with a watch , he helped me etc. but according to these mails, it seems i was wrong :unsure:

i was further more disappointed when i logged back into RWG after my time out because of my mothers death and i received so many nice PMs with support etc, except joe who wrote me "please send me the money that is owed" :( hmm... but thats another story.

why in the hell? its reps, its fun, hobby, nothing more...

Edited by palpatine

sorry to hear all this guys, but i'm glad finepics and tommy offer a great service and do an outstanding job helping this little community with the modd needs! i have been doing business with tommy for some time now and i am really very happy with his customer service and quality of work! apart from that i also am very happy that i never get the feeling that tommy is trying to get the bill as high as possible, instead he has alwyas been very honoust and straightforward when it comes down to various modds needed for a watch, and alwyas has given his honoust opinion so i never got the idea that he is in it for the $$$. i've never had the pleasure of dealing with finepics, but from what i read and see on the forums i can only come to the conclusion that he is (like tommy) a stand-up guy! thanks guys for providing such great work for this community!!!

cheers,

fitch

PS and i think The Zigmeister's wunderfull detailed and informative posts and efforts to contribute to this community speak for itself!

Edited by fitch

why in the hell? its reps, its fun, hobby, nothing more...

Sorry to disagree with you on this Palp. This is all about money to Joe and has nothing to do with the above.

MINE, MINE, MINE, ME, ME, ME :lol:

It is the other way round for me, I have contacted Palpatine once for some advice on the old RWG and that was it, and finepics is doing PAM mods at the moment so I'll know when it comes back. Having met him on Friday, I know he's a great guy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Besides, I know where he works :o

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :lol:

Seriously, the backhanded shots at other modders are not nice, and I've noticed them in some of joe's posts previously as well as his "discussion" (old RWG) with The Zigmeister over billing for blowing dust off dials.

To the casual observor, it looks like this is business for joe, while The Zigmeister seems to do it more for the love (hence the lower prices).

With finepics/palpatine, it's great to have EU based people. Customs issues are irrelevant that way, and shipping back and forth can be much quicker too :3a:

I don't do mods often, but when I do need soemthing done, I would rather risk customs and all that BS and send it to finepics and The Zigmeister. I actually had The Zigmeister hold my Swiss Valjoux Daytona for me close to 6 months after a servicing because I was out of the country. At no time during that time was I woried for my watch.And when I got back stateside, I contacted him and it was in my hands from Rob within a week in pristine condition. IMHO thats what I call customer service.

Eddy

i was further more disappointed when i logged back into RWG after my time out because of my mothers death and i received so many nice PMs with support etc, except joe who wrote me "please send me the money that is owed" :( hmm... but thats another story.

THAT fact alone speaks volumes about a person's character (:greedy::hammer:) - I was truly disgusted when I first heard this from Tommy :disgust:. Kudos to Tommy for handling this unfounded character assassination with dignity and class.

As I said in my original post, the rationale for making this public was not about money or delay it was about the principles and manners and decency or lack thereof :brow:.

In fairness, I should also update you all - after several emails (me being extremely firm, but remaining polite) and several replies (more complaints about being 'out of pocket for shipping' and lame excuses, the highlight of which was Joe comparing his turnaround time with Rolex! :lol: ) he has now agreed to return my watch by USPS Global Priority ("at your risk" :brow:) and I will reimburse him the cost on the packet.

@Fitch - nice to see an old friendly face contribute with a (typische Nederlandse!) warm and fuzzy feelgood post :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Ryyannon/Pug - can you two get a room next time instead of hijacking my thread :lol: ?! Let me know about your GTG - all being well I will be spending some time over there over the next month (St Germain en Laye, another low-rent neighbourhood ;))

Doc-

I hope that your post encourages others to come forward with their experiences no matter who it is in regards to, be it good or bad. As members in a community, we all owe it to one another to share our experiences no matter what the outcome happens to be. Discussion of experience and thoughts/ideas is what the forum is for, after all. If posts are handled properly, are civil to one another, and the due diligence is performed to try and resolve the problem privately (should any exist), I do not see any harm in that at all. Folks in the position of offering a service or product should be prepared to handle criticism along with praise, and to do so in a graceful and respectable manner; there's something to be said about customer service.

On a lighter note, I am glad to hear that you will be getting your watch back.

i just got in and read this and all i can say is dockbrock is overseas and i basically was saying 20 to 25 bucks is what most overseas people pay for international express shipping and he acted like i meant he had to do that and i said u can have it sent however u want it sent but to me the safest is international express, so it goes out for what he said 7 bucks and i am sry that u all love The Zigmeister but many of my friends and me here knows the truth and i will leave it at that , im still fine and im still doing my work and helping others and just like u said doc u can change your mind if u want and i said u sure can but u havent waited like many others and i was not going to send u your watch and pay shipping to ,thats all i meant !!, it will go out tomorrow after u paypal me 10 bucks to cover shipping and i will not be liable for your way of shipping ,(your way there is no means of tracking)im sry that u cant get a grip on that but that is how anyone would be , i was going to trust u and send it first and let u pay me after but after this thread i rather u pay me first please , and yes i do just like The Zigmeister have some people i will not work on there watches for and i call it black balled and it is because they cant understand [censored] happens and expects u to give them something for nothing or make u feel like u owe them something or they try to barter my work and i refuse to do business that way and if u want me to work on your watch and do the superior work like u see in many post and pictures of mine for over a year now then i have set fees and that is that

also i do not service the movments myself but i warranty the servicing for a year and u get a print out on your movment and that is all that matter, frankly i cant do the servicing and mod work , im too busy and i dont like servicing the movments either , for me it like servicing a car and it just isnt fun for me , and as to all the stupid comments about my personal life i will just leave it at this they r stupid comments , lol

again im getting the work out like usual and i havent kept one dime of anyones money , so whatever u want to mythically conjure up next is fine but that is facts, i owe no one any money and i still have some work behind but getting caught up everyday , and if u dont like my prices and my work dont send me your watches is all i can say , i still do the same work and i still look after my customers, and that is the bottom line, i sent money for a bunch of cyclops a while back to surrffer and those guys we worked on it together and im not complaining i havent gotten those yet, because i know it will take some time to get them and im being patient, that is the key here guys , im not apologizing for trying to get everyone squared away and im not apologyzing for getting sick and i dont owe anyone anything but good work and there watches will be safely back on there wrists and that is all i can say , these few bad threads r all bologna and r only told in favor of the writer , and again i am not going anywhere , and i will continue to show off stuff and have fun with my friends and thats that

just remember doc paypal me the shipping and your watch and parts will be back on its way to u , regards joe

also longshot im still trying to figure out what the hek u r talking about , why didnt u email me about postage , i have never charged 35 bucks for shipping something that only cost 6.35 , knowingly , so there is a error , please send me something on that and i have no problem fixing that problem , i dont understand why u wait to make a big deal out of it and not contact me personally about it so we can fix the problem , i guess u r like the rest and like soap operas but anyhow this is the first i heard about shipping being that different and i have no problem fixing that i just need u to contact me and give me some details ok redbigjoe69@yahoo.com

palpatine i will just say this to u , i did a job for u , u agreed and now u r feeding off what he or she says in order to not pay your debt to me, the work i did for your customer was handled and he was really happy with his watch now, and now i got him off your back u dont want to pay me , so who is the dishonest one here that is on trial me that owes no one any money or u that owes me money? if u dont pay me that is fine im not going to beg u for it or threaten u for it or try to slander u for it , we know the truth and it is public that i did do this for u and now u complain about oweing me the money , if it makes u feel honest then do as u want , i can go to sleep when i can sleep and know i havent scammed or taken money i havent earned from anyone and i always make good on all my dealings no matter how much crap some people like to feed off of

When I first joined the forum at RWG, and was reading thru the boards, getting the lay of the land, I found The Zigmeister's excellent articles on mechanical movements, and from a real novice's perspective, there was no doubt what-so-ever the man knew what he was talking about. Nothing I have ever read has led me to believe anything but. I felt then, and still do now, that those articles should be a must read for anyone new to reps and this board. I've also read, for the longest time that in EU, palp was the person to contact, and again, have read nothing but good about the man and his work. Pics, when I first read of you working on watches, I found out you were in EU also, but got the impression you were doing this part part time. More like if a friend asked, or recommended one of theirs, you'd take it on. You are also very highly recommended, and have read nothing but good about your work also.

I also found rbJoe fairly early, and learned a ton from his articles too. When I got my first rep, it had some minor problems with it, and sent off an email to him. The reply came back so fast, I thought it must be an auto-reply, but it was Joe himself, sending me a note, and his job/pricing list of what all he does. He went out of his way to try and explain how with what I wanted done, instead of doing it all seperate, he'd switch this for that, and do this too, and he'd be fine with changing things around for me to get it done as cheaply as possible. I E'd him back the next night, and bang, again, replied right away. This time he suggested I call him the next day, late afternoon, when he finishes up his day with his company. Well, I called him, and got this very pleasant informative person on the Carolina end, and we ended up talking for about an hour. We talked about a lot more than just watches, but numerous times during the conversation when we were, he kept saying most of it is not that hard, just takes time and patience, and if I wanted to try and do it myself, if I got stuck to give him a call and he'd help me through it. He said he has his own company, and doing the watches was a fun hobby for him, and he really enjoyed working on them. I'm not saying that all the nay-sayers are wrong or lying, or anything, but my experience with him has been nothing but pleasant and informative. It seems to me that a person who will give you their personal phone number, home address, and offer to help you out on a do-it-yourself watch project, they don't seem to be the type to rip anybody off. I do feel bad for any of you who have had a bad experience with him, but I have no problems sending him my rep when I want something done to it that he can do as good as he does.

JMHO

B

No, it was pure hyperbole. Comparing priviledges to rights will always make one look uninformed.

And as long as you don't clearly express your thoughts, how can I be certain you're not just trolling? You do have a habit of just antagonising people to see how they will react, so I like to be clear with what you're trying to say just so I can tell if you're trying to partake in a discussion or merely derail it to a 'look at me' hijack.

Allegedly.

derail it to a 'look at me' hijack.
You mean like, "we must meet for hugs & drinks?"

63005-34300.gif

it will go out tomorrow after u paypal me 10 bucks to cover shipping and i will not be liable for your way of shipping ,(your way there is no means of tracking)

Firstly, no tracking does not mean no insurance - at least that's how it works here in the EU. Also, it's interesting how you zealously advocate the express $25 route when people who've received stuff back see a $6 postage on it! And longshot is not the only one....

i was going to trust u and send it first and let u pay me after but after this thread i rather u pay me first please

Ohhh, ok, now you have trust issues with me??? :rolleyes::lol:

im sry that u cant get a grip on that but that is how anyone would be

Beg to differ Joe, seems its just you. I've had friends/members in the US send me parts at no charge before never mind shipping and vice versa - that's what this board is like, I am sorry for you that you can't get a grip on that, but of course it's just a hobby for the rest of us ;)

again im getting the work out like usual and i havent kept one dime of anyones money , so whatever u want to mythically conjure up next is fine

Hmmm, interesting spin.....I know personally of one extremely well-respected member who's written off his watch at this point having heard nothing from you in months, you have had it for longer than mine (start of the year) as well as a full payment in advance :blink:<_<

just remember doc paypal me the shipping and your watch and parts will be back on its way to u , regards joe

That's fine, I understand you feel aggrieved, but I'm sure acting in this petty manner will be another perfect advertisement for your customer service.

Will send paypal tonight when back.

Doc

Edited by docblackrock

again i have no ones watch that doesnt want it here with me and please sir since u have facts who is the guy that has had his watch with me that i have not returned and i also kept his money, please enlighten us cause again , the few that did want there watch back because of delays and only a very few , have gotten there watches back and only two sent money along with it back then and that was refunded as well and the only one that was a long wait was a project gmt and he now has that watch and a full refund and he also understood that it was uncharter territory and was waiting till i could do some experiments first and a friend has the other wm gmt that is still waiting for that experiment to move foward , so please since u know it all about what i have done , tell us all , i really want to hear this crap , i thought u were a gentleman and u have proven once again that overseas people r the worst to do work for , i have a few good ones but u guys r really a class act , naming namor , u and The Zigmeister and now palpatine, anyway tell us what u know please please please, and after i recieve paypal i will send your watch for whatever that price gets u as u requested , if it gets taken and or u dont get it dont come crying to me or the forum ok

and as far as longshot is concerned u see what i had to say to him , the normal fee in the usa for shipping/handling is 10 bucks for 100 dollar insurance , if u choose something different that is fine by me at your expense not mine, and i answered longshot on that and he has read it cause i saw him reading it and i still havent gotten a pm explaining so to me ,i cant get him squared away till he talks to me , same as u , we were getting it sorted out till u made a big deal out of nothing , again i explained in english that most choose the international express, i believe vmena made a thread about that from spain and he got it in a few days, and it was around 20 bucks , they r all different in different parts of the world so i couldnt tell u exact, but u still want to rant and rave that i tried to make u pay that and i simply suggested it , thats all and let u know most do it that way and i never had any problems with it not getting there that way ,and then i said your way is fine, however i still will not guarantee shipping anywhere and never will , it is up to u to pay for that gurantee.

and i will copy the reciept that it was sent for u as well so u cant say i didnt send it

i guess when u r one of the ones on top many get jealous and try to knock u down but i am here to tell u all , im still doing my work and my art and besides delays u get the same great work that i have done for many many for over a year now, and dont u worry your heads i have not taken anything from anyone and i have always done as requested of all good or bad , i stand by my work and if u go to the old forums and look how many satisfied people i have u will realize that these couple of people that r mouthing off r just that mouthing off , no one likes the good guy that is for sure

also the thing these guys have done for u all is made me more choosy who i do work for thats all!! so thank them for keeping me busy telling the whole truth

regards joe

as far as petty i believe that shoe will fit u to a tee, our final words was i would send it your way , and i was willing to send it and then send u the bill but u suprised me with this thread so now i rather get my shipping up front please

You mean like, "we must meet for hugs & drinks?"

Over here, that's acceptable. Over there, it's not.

At least, that's the impression I get.

Edit to say ... you can tell this because over here, I don't get moderated or warned and threads are hijacked quite often without any moderator alerts.

Edited by Pugwash

thought u were a gentleman and u have proven once again that overseas people r the worst to do work for ,

'You dishonest Europeans,why don't you shut up and smile?' :bleh:

BTW Joe maybe you should consider accepting mods only from the US.. That will unload a bit the work-load you have and give you peace of mind..

palpatine i will just say this to u , i did a job for u , u agreed and now u r feeding off what he or she says in order to not pay your debt to me, the work i did for your customer was handled and he was really happy with his watch now, and now i got him off your back u dont want to pay me , so who is the dishonest one here that is on trial me that owes no one any money or u that owes me money? if u dont pay me that is fine im not going to beg u for it or threaten u for it or try to slander u for it , we know the truth and it is public that i did do this for u and now u complain about oweing me the money , if it makes u feel honest then do as u want , i can go to sleep when i can sleep and know i havent scammed or taken money i havent earned from anyone and i always make good on all my dealings no matter how much crap some people like to feed off of

joe, of course i will pay what i owe you. and i did not say a single word about that in my post nor am i complaining about that in my post. if you think so please read again.

the only reason why i did not already pay you is and that i have told you that i have some seriously money shortage at the moment because i did not get any salary for 3 months. but this should get better in the next days and the first i will do, is pay you (never was doubted). always did, i never had unpaid bills in my life. question of honour.

but that was not the subject of my post so therefore i do not understand about what you are writing in your posting...

i am not bad mouthing or whatever, i was just reacting to these emails that you wrote to members that now surface...disappointing, nothing more.

Edited by palpatine

Doc-

I hope that your post encourages others to come forward with their experiences no matter who it is in regards to, be it good or bad. As members in a community, we all owe it to one another to share our experiences no matter what the outcome happens to be. Discussion of experience and thoughts/ideas is what the forum is for, after all. If posts are handled properly, are civil to one another, and the due diligence is performed to try and resolve the problem privately (should any exist), I do not see any harm in that at all. Folks in the position of offering a service or product should be prepared to handle criticism along with praise, and to do so in a graceful and respectable manner; there's something to be said about customer service.

On a lighter note, I am glad to hear that you will be getting your watch back.

Very well spoken Randy!! Couldn't agree with you more!!

@doc and they always clame the dutch are far from warm and fuzzy :bleh: (blunt and a little too direct are terms more frequently used i believe :p ) but i'm glad to send some good vibes into this thread so it won't get too cold :D have you been to a'dam recently? any change of paying a visit to that nice jeweler were i got my 1675?

:group:

Well, I've been following this soap opera with Joe since the start. Joe is working on a WM DSRD and a PAM 188 for me.

I had the 188 sent directly to him for some mods. Throughtout this whole thing he has communicated with me, and explained what is going on with his health.

No, I don't have my watches but Joe has assured me he will get them done as soon as possible. I started talking to Joe about mods to the DRSD on January 18, 2006.

I expect that Joe will do what he says he's going to do on the watches. I've been buying/selling wristwatches for over 25 years and have never had a problem with a deal. I have no reason to expect Joe not to act in a professional manner. When someone doesn't get back to you in a week and they're in the watch business it doesn't surprise me.

So, Joe keep working on the watches and focus on your work.

Jim

Seattle

Very well spoken Randy!! Couldn't agree with you more!!

@doc and they always clame the dutch are far from warm and fuzzy :bleh: (blunt and a little too direct are terms more frequently used i believe :p ) but i'm glad to send some good vibes into this thread so it won't get too cold :D have you been to a'dam recently? any change of paying a visit to that nice jeweler were i got my 1675?

:group:

@doc and they always clame the dutch are far from warm and fuzzy :bleh: (blunt and a little too direct are terms more frequently used i believe :p )

@ Fitchy - yes, that was a little ironic joke at your expense ;) I had a great time living in the NL for a couple of years (hopefully revisit soon, will PM you).

@Palp - you know you have my (and others no doubt) support - we all knew what was going on with your personal life as you kept us all informed out of courtesy and with dignity

@Jimster - I for one have never questioned Joe's integrity or cast any accusations about fraud etc - I was merely commenting on his (lack of) customer service and poor communication - that is the ONLY issue here as far as I was concerned. Your experience was obviously different and you are right to share that, but that doesn't negate the experience of others.

@Joe - unless you stoke this more, these are my final words on the matter...

I am truly sad that you feel I've been somehow out to get you just as you clearly feel antagonistic to other members of this forum. I'm also saddened that you feel it is necessary to make comments such as 'overseas guys are the worst' - trust me, it doesn't do you any favours, merely reinforces a certain stereotype.

Your assertion that I have made a 'big deal out of nothing' is true in some respects, even if you feel manners and communication is 'nothing'. However the fact that even now you're being aggressive to anyone who dares question or criticise you and generally unapologetic when all it took was to just say 'I'm really sorry', speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

As for the AWOL watch and payment, I am not trying to be vague and would happily enlighten you all. I referred to him only as he emailed me with his experience and I was shocked to hear it (far worse than my situation) and he said he was thinking of posting it. However, out of deference to the esteemed member in question I did not name him...it is simply not my place to do so.

As I said originally, I thought long and hard about posting, I stayed out of the other threads but I felt I had given you the benefit of the doubt, and took offence to your recent communications. I will accept that sometimes email communication causes problems/misunderstandings and I am willing to accept that it didn't help matters in this case. Flip-side, I wonder if you then are willing to accept how your communications have come across? Even questioning my character now is a bit out of order (you may remember the considerable time and professional advice I gave you re. your brother's health), but I will let that go.

However, I don't have any hard feelings - I vented my spleen, you responded and that's the end of it. Fair enough, we agree to disagree, a metaphorical handshake, and life goes on...