When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joe, A Word Of Caution....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the States and have sent defective or broken watches back to Asia on several occasions. Just did this yesterday on a watch as a matter of fact. I always use the US Postal Service Flat Rate Small Envelope. Its perfect for watches. Its actually quite ridiculous. It costs me $4.05 to send a package two states away and only about $1 more to send a package all the way around the world!

Bottom line is this! USPS offers US Global Priority in a Small Flat Rate Envelope for right under $6 This will ship to any where in the WORLD! You could put three or four watches in this thing and its fairly quick too!

Sorry to butt in, as I haven't had any mods done by any of the members here but the $25 in shipping seems very ridiculous! Sounds like Ebay shipping prices which equate like this: $5 in shipping fees + $3 to cover ebay listing = $17 in additional profit or (Handling charges!) Since this isn't an Ebay transaction its just an additional $20 in profit!

Good Luck!

Jon :victory:

Edited by Bignasty

There is no basis for a §1341 violation that I can see.

Bill

extorting monies for goods that have already been paid for. One could argue that he stole watches because he had no intent in sending the watches back because even when he claimed he was sick, he was still receiving watches and telling people return times all the while knowing he couldn't do the work. No offer to ship the watches back that he hasn't touched for months. He is using items that he gained through the mail to commit a crime.

I could be wrong but I was pretty sure that any involvement of the us mail and a crime (in the sense of sending or receiving items that are involved in the crime) was mail fraud, but I could be wrong on that.

extorting monies for goods that have already been paid for. One could argue that he stole watches because he had no intent in sending the watches back because even when he claimed he was sick, he was still receiving watches and telling people return times all the while knowing he couldn't do the work. No offer to ship the watches back that he hasn't touched for months. He is using items that he gained through the mail to commit a crime.

I could be wrong but I was pretty sure that any involvement of the us mail and a crime (in the sense of sending or receiving items that are involved in the crime) was mail fraud, but I could be wrong on that.

Try not to forget the watches aren't exactly legal, so creating a stink with the postal service might only bring about negative attention!

Kind of like going to the police because your weed man shorted you an ounce! :bangin:

Just my thoughts. I don't agree with what is going on and I know Joe has been sick so it seems, to everyone, this is a touchy subject but profit on a watch that hasn't been repaired is wrong! But as much as I hate to say it, sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with the loss. Just pay your $25 bucks, get your watch back, and never send him anymore of your business!

Jon

I was debating whether or not to send my red sub to him for crown guard work and a relume right before he announced his illness. The price for the crown guard work seemed reasonable, but the relume was double the price that The Zigmeister charges. That slowed me down enough to allow all of this to unfold. Well, thank God!

I hate to say it, but with asthma, when you have a really bad attack, you are hospitalized BRIEFLY to get it under control. When you are sent home, you are managed on inhalers and oral medications to keep it under control. If it's not so bad that you don't have to be at the hospital, there is no contraindication to working on watches, in my medical opinion. Maybe he's been in the hospital for 2 months? Well, what do I really know. I missed the lecture on watch mods and respiratory conditions in med. school.

Sorry, but I would be [censored] if I was asked for ransom to get my watch back.

This is getting a little silly. I don't see the principal issue here being overcharged for having a watch sent back. When I ship watches and send Express Mail the base charge is something like $17.00 and insurance adds another few dollars. I think there are more fundamental issues:

Is it fair to charge shipping at all on a watch you have had for several months and not done any work on?

Is Joe so far behind on what he has got that he should slow down or stop acceptance of new work from customers or at least warn potential customers that it may well be months before you're watch is returned?

On the comment on pricing, he does make it clear what he charges. You have to decide whether it is worth it for you.

I do hope Joe feels better and responds. The one comment I have seen several times is that he has well over 100 watches in his shop awaiting work. If this is true, folks should know that. If it is not true, folks should know that too.

I also hope that he is not actually writing about a Ziggy Palp conspiracy. That is silly too. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

that sux....

I am not sure an "apology" from him is in order, after all it is not his fault he got sick

I think that joe was posting here during the period that doc was waiting for news on his watch, in which case I would suggest that an apology for the delay from him would have been in order. At the very least there should have been some sort of communication. Others have been pillaried here for poor communication, joe should be no different. Communication is key.

I hope you get your watch back doc without being charged. Whatever happened to goodwill joe?

JTB

I don't want to write "I told you so...".

Seriously, this whole thing is just too bad - I hope everyone get their watches back quickly !!!

@doc:

Remember my Thread about my experience with Joe ?

There was all the same a**-kissers and low arguers - I just hardly managed to not get flamed down

with sitting almost the whole day here in front of RWG2 and patiently arguing, posting, answering questions and defending against the attacks...

Meanwhile there are more Threads and Posts about Joe and the defenders lose more and more their

base to speak positive for Joe - what will you tell ALL the people with serious issues ?

Are ALL these people "over-sensitive" ? "Impatient" ? Are we all so cruel ?

Are all the other craftsmen bad ? Do every selfmodder and Ziggy and Palp and all the others copy Joes work ?

Come on all - thats ridiculous.

Another thought: What if you bought a Sub months ago, sent it to Joe for mods - and now MONTHS later you even can't get your watch back - and now all the dealers offer an improved version where the mods aren't necessary anymore for less than what you've paid for ?

I agree totally with Doc...

I called Joe about modding my no-date Sub April 7th and he said to go ahead and send it right away. So I did and it arrived April 10th. I waited thru all the posts and all the flaming and figured I would hear from him when I did. But in the meantime I bought an SD and Joshua came out with his 'Ultimate Subs' and I've decided to sell the no-date and possibly the SD and get a re-worked modern Sub from Joshua. So I emailed Joe and explained I'd like my watch back and even offered to Paypal him $$ for Priority Mail (I realize he has not been working and money may be tight) and told him he could keep the spare non-SEL Sub bracelet with one stuck link that I sent in with the Sub for parts.

Then last night I got the same self aggrandizing email that some others have probably gotten and a promise to call me Thursday. In the email he bashed The Zigmeister and Palp and claimed that they were hacks and had stolen everything from him and he would not post any more 'how to' articles as all they do is rip him off. That seems strange to me as (AFAIK) The Zigmeister is a true watchmaker and Joe has to send his watches out for movement services?

Nothing turns me off more than someone flaming another craftsman. That's the quickest way to lose my business :yucky:

Now I hear about this $25 crap? What a scam. You have people send in watches, then you just sit on em, then you ransom them for $25 to get them back when Priority Mail is $4.05. $20 profit for doing nothing times 100 watches :g:

If I have to I'll pay Priority to get my watch back but I won't be happy about it. For $25 I'll call the Postal Inspectors...

I've been sitting this one out, but bashing The Zigmeister and palp is just too much.

It's laughable that joe is threatening not to post any how-to's. Reality check: The Zigmeister posts 5 thorough, clearly written, and non-self-promoting how-to's for every one of joe's impossible to read, vague, advertising-copy-masquerading-as-a-how-to "how-to." Not to mention that The Zigmeister was both servicing watches and answering questions on RWG before joe ever touched his first sub rep.

When Palp took a breather from the board after his mom passed, he set an example that Joe should have followed, but apparently didn't have the class to do so--he let his customers know he'd be gone for a while, did the work he was able to do when he was away, and then announced his return.

BTW, you can add to joe's shipping profit his "consulting fees" of $45. if he did the "consulting," holding, and return shipping thing 50 times that's $3500 in his hands w/o ever touching a dremel to steel.

This is a forgiving place: it's still possible for joe to get back 100% w/ the members here, but if he ever hopes to do so he should come clean by fully answering the following questions:

Why does he expect to make a 400% profit on shipping of watches he agreed to mod but did not in a reasonable amount of time?

How many watches does he currently have backlogged? What is the time frame for the return of these watches?

Has this kind of thing ever happened before? For example, has he ever been banned from another replica watch board? If so, why?

Does he intend to either support with evidence or recant his accusations of other members?

After reading all of this post, I am thinking about starting a watch storage business. You send me your watch and $25, and I will send it back to you in 6-12 months, it will be a surprise. What do you guys think, would you go for this service?

:-)

I'll store them for 15, but please dont be upset if your piece shows a little extra wear.

"No honey, i didnt buy any more reps, people sent these to me to wear for them, and i'm making $5.00 each" She'd love it... :bangin:

Sounds like a good offer to me, watch winders are much more expenisve :yeah:

Sorry, Chronus Certified Chronometer Upgrades Ltd is having a CRAZY SALE. :1a:

You only pay shipping fee. Western Union, MoneyBookers or Bank Transfer.

Paypol sucks. :blink: