When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm Being Laid Off Next Week......

thomasng

Unfortunately, I am due to be laid off from my job on June 9th, along with 5 others in my workplace. I think that my boss chose to fire me because I was away for such a long time doing jury duty, as he noted at the end of 2005 that I had the best performance and productivity of everyone in the firm.

Oh well, life goes on. But, I can say goodbye to my salary, since I was with the firm for such a long time, I had seniority benefits. I just hope it won't be too hard to find a new job again, and I'm even considering moving back to London for a change of life. :)

Unfortunately, I am due to be laid off from my job on June 9th, along with 5 others in my workplace. I think that my boss chose to fire me because I was away for such a long time doing jury duty, as he noted at the end of 2005 that I had the best performance and productivity of everyone in the firm.

Oh well, life goes on. But, I can say goodbye to my salary, since I was with the firm for such a long time, I had seniority benefits. I just hope it won't be too hard to find a new job again, and I'm even considering moving back to London for a change of life. :)

Thomasng. I hope it all works out for you. I've been in that situation before and it is a horrible feeling. Sounds like you've opened yourself to options, even to go so far as to move to another country. You'll land on your feet soon enough. Good luck. :group:

Have you checked the law on that?

I don't know, but you might find that an employer cannot fire you for jury service. If that is the law where you are, the employer could be leaving themselves open to some serious exposure.

The clerk of courts office could probably tell you whether you can be fired for serving on a jury - just don't tell them you are being fired or they won't want to give you an answer.

This sux.

Bill

And best of all, my fiancee is with me every step of the way, even she wants a change up after living for so many years in Toronto. I'm stuck in that rut too, so it might be for the best.

Only one major problem- My fiancee doesn't have a British passport, and there's absolutely no way I can get her one.

Have you checked the law on that?

I don't know, but you might find that an employer cannot fire you for jury service. If that is the law where you are, the employer could be leaving themselves open to some serious exposure.

The clerk of courts office could probably tell you whether you can be fired for serving on a jury - just don't tell them you are being fired or they won't want to give you an answer.

This sux.

Bill

In Canada, it is actually illegal to fire someone doing jury service, but this is not the reason my employer stated, he stated it as a company "downsizing", but I have this feeling of what the real motives are, probably just wanted to take the chance to fire me as well, since he was laying off 5 others as well.

In Canada, it is actually illegal to fire someone doing jury service, but this is not the reason my employer stated, he stated it as a company "downsizing", but I have this feeling of what the real motives are, probably just wanted to take the chance to fire me as well, since he was laying off 5 others as well.

That's what I thought. If others are being laid off, it would make it tough to argue.

Bill

Guest eddielee11

sorry to hear that!!! <_<:angry:

i have been though this process so many times,,,either laid off, fired, or squeezed out by someone who felt my presence was a threat to them.... :blink: go figure...how can i pose a threat to anyone?

dont give up!!! dude!!!! to start a new job is tough...new people, new environment, new office politics.

but i am sure you will manage.

all the very best to you my friend in toronto!

Good luck!

I don't know if I just missed it or not Thomas but what line of employment are you in?

And believe me I know what its like to cop a dramatic drop in earnings, 4 Months ago I was pulling 120 Grand a year, then I did my back and I am now getting under 25 a year. :(

Ken

I don't know if I just missed it or not Admin but what line of employment are you in?

And believe me I know what its like to cop a dramatic drop in earnings, 4 Months ago I was pulling 120 Grand a year, then I did my back and I am now getting under 25 a year. :(

Ken

I'm in Chartered Accounting.

Damn Ken, that's sucks, being reduced almost $100K a year in salary, I can only imagine what impact that must have on your family. I am disappointed that I am going to be dropped from the $250K< income bracket, but as life says, easy come easy go, fortunately, I have a nice nest egg saved up for the rainy days that may come ahead. :)

I was just reading an article in The Economist about how the Canadian economy is really heating up - didn't notice how regional the phenomenon may be, but I sincerely hope that that is the case and that you'll find an even better position rapidly.

As a person at your level, you sound like head-hunter material, meaning the type of person that is sought out by firms...once again, I hope this is the case and that all goes well for you.

You have a great attitude Admin! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Keep your chin up and you will come out much happier. I also had a change of jobs and for a year I had a horrible time making money. Another opportunity came along and I don't think I could be happier.

As they say "It all works out in the end"

Good Luck,

Gpuck B)

Dude, come to calgary or go to vancouver. Maybe the waterfront in van will do you good.

I know what it's like...I was pulling in about $150k a year with my previous company...then they laid me off. I suspect I was phased out for cheaper labour.

Edited by got-it

@Admin.......have you checked your labour laws in your area......you mentioned that you had seniority....if that's the case....under British law...( and I know that Canadian laws are very similar )....if there are other employees who have less seniority than you....and you are capable of doing the job they do.......then management by law have to offer you an alternative position before making you redundant....and suddenly just making you redundant after jury service would smell to high heaven of unfairness......I'm sure an Industrial Tribunal or employment lawyer would find it interesting....!

@Ken.......if you've dropped from $150k.....( which implies that you probably had a senior management position ).....then why not setup a SoHo operation......I'm sure there's something you can do which is related to your previous situation...God knows....you know how to use a PC...... :rolleyes:......and believe me there is no substitute for working for yourself........remember the only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.....!

Edited by TTK

Actuall Neil I dropped from $120K, but yeah I was owner operator of my own small company and yes I am cautiously poking around at the moment looking at a little importing, it's more a matter of finding the right kind of product.

Ken

Actuall Neil I dropped from $120K, but yeah I was owner operator of my own small company and yes I am cautiously poking around at the moment looking at a little importing, it's more a matter of finding the right kind of product.

Ken

For importing in the US, drugs seem to do well for a while and you can make a lot of money really fast. :D;)

@Thomas, sorry to hear about you loosing your job. As mentioned earlier, it's good to see you have a positive outlook on the situation and that is the best thing you can have right now. Just keep your eyes open and looking forward and you'll do well (again). In the mean time if you want to sell off some of your collection let us know. ;)

There's always time for a fresh start, perhaps it's time to do what you really want to do, like a change of careers, starting a new business or going back to school.

:)

From reading between the lines and your thread on travel it sounds like you always have the City of London up your sleeve moneywise (I don't mean to presume)

The question is always whether the money in London is worth the grief - thus the advantages of being well-paid AND somewhere lush!

Personally I tend to find that the grass is usually greener on the side I'm not sitting ;) While I lounge around in the swimming pool in December, I'm thinking about the money I could be earning in London. Meanwhile my richer former colleagues in the UK are dreaming of a warm beach in the sun. Who knows.

The best things in life are free though - or at least substantially reduced (like reps! :lol: )

Cheers!