When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stopped in my local AD to pick up a gen Sea Dweller today...

gioarmani

Quick reference/pictoral guide to the differenc between the new Sea Dweller rep & the Gen.

IMG_0088.jpg

Of course, i didn't buy it, I just picked it up. ;)

And here's a little goodie the post-man brought me today...

So I get the newest Sea Dweller in today, and modded the CGs, lubed & water-proofed it to at least 6 ATMS, replaced the insert & pearl (filed it just a bit too low to expose the crystal a bit more, but have a gen insert on the way), sized it, polished the bracelet, rounded the edges, etc.

Here's a no-frills comparison between the new modded model and the gen SD--gen on white, rep on beige.

I'll post a more thorough review as soon as I get it regulated & the gen insert (and when there's more light out...).

Enjoy!

3IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_0012-2.jpg

4IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

6IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

58d8_12.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

59ac_12.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062-1.jpg

11179_4.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

11179_8.jpg

IMG_0043-1.jpg

11179_9.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

11179_10.jpg

IMG_0038-1.jpg

11179_12.jpg

IMG_0034-1.jpg

sasa.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

11179_15.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Even before the mods, it still wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I do agree with By-Tor, that the rehaut/crystal/gasket area could use some work. but honestly not disappointing once on the wrist. :)

I also added a gen diver's extension (note the black link-screw):

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Here's it's cousin, my Sub:

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0115-1.jpg

IMG_0106-1.jpg

Great pics. Thanks. It makes me want mine that much more.. Mine is stuck outbound in China. As far as the rehaut goes, I think it would look alot better if it was dulled up a bit. Right now it seems too shiny. I was thinking about all the mods I want to make and I was thinking about taking as brillo to the rehaut and then going over it with a Cape Cod. I did a similar mod to a Sub about a year ago and it took the polished look off the rehaut. But otherwise, I think it looks great!

Absolutely brilliant.

The BEST photo comparison - rep to gen - ever.

Looking at the difference of the FINISH alone, much less, the accuracy of the rep to gen in these photos

is amazing.

To me..although the rep looks good... as a copy of the original design...it looks like a copy of a master. Really makes me want to buy the gen, if that is a watch I wanted to own. Although the rep is an accurate copy...it is no way compares to the beauty and craftsmanship of the gen in this case.

I'm by no means a rolex expert but those last 3 pics show just how far the sd has come. IMO, the one of the biggest flaws of the SD rep, though rarely mentioned, is the diameter of the face/dial. Like the 14060, it's noticeably smaller than the sub and for me was a dead give away...even at a distance. The 3rd to last photo seems to show this major flaw has been addressed. Next is the bezel height which from the last photo has clearly been addressed, looks great...just like the gen. And the crystal height, which has been helped by gio a bit, is superb...I must admit this is the best SD to date. Impressive review as well. Thanks

So, Gio...

You agree with BT about the rehaut thickness.

Can you tell us a bit more...?

On a scale of 100% , what is your opinion? Is the rep rehaut thickness close or far ?

Thank you very much for your already very usefull thread ;)

Cheers

Stephane

The thickness is close, but a bit off; especially when viewed from a side profile. If it was possible to bevel the inside of the rep crystal or something in order to give it the illusion of another, thicker layer similar to the gen, that would be ideal.

Before simple, cheap & quick mods, I'd say 75-80%, After--95%.