When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Replica

post-2537-1194843295_thumb.jpg

This auction is for a fake fifty fathoms: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=014.

Does anyone know where these are comming from? Most of the sellers seem to be German or Swiss. The last one went for over $1200. It is not (as far as I can tell) using an MK II case. Nor is it franken (nothing original).

I'd like one if we could get an honest price.

p.s. In case the link fails, it's item: 330186333720

Seems to be a situation similar to the fake Seamaster 300. The 300s use a genuine Omega movement with everything else faked. Maybe this BP is the same setup. I understand that the SM 300s originated in Vietnam with a small back street jeweller being responsible for the whole operation. I sourced one of those through a well known Vietnam-based internet seller of genuine watches. I had bought a number of gens from him and he agreed to source a fake SM 300 for me, but I must stress that he didn't deal in fakes.

Edited by PAMman

One source: Hanoi, Vietnam. The original maker is a famous forger who has ripped off countless military watch collectors. I had the displeasure of meeting him once many years ago. I should've broken his nose when I had the chance - but he vanished before I got the chance. Either way, there are others hunting him down (he's been roughed up a few times already).

Too bad, he could've done things differently.

One source: Hanoi, Vietnam. The original maker is a famous forger who has ripped off countless military watch collectors. I had the displeasure of meeting him once many years ago. I should've broken his nose when I had the chance - but he vanished before I got the chance. Either way, there are others hunting him down (he's been roughed up a few times already).

Too bad, he could've done things differently.

Yeah, a waste of talent. If he would just sell as reps he'd have been a legendary figure around here, but greed always gets in the way.

Anyway, I'd love to see a rep of the reissue, which is absolutely gorgeous, but I doubt it will ever happen. The factories will always rep what the market wants, and the market always speeds straight for the lowest common denomenator. Because breitling and Rolex have lots of ads in Sport's Illustrated lots of people, even people around here,fall all over themselves to spend 30% of the cost of a Seadweller or 40% of a Superocean instead of 5% of a 10 grand, equally reppable fifty-fathoms, even though all have the black bezel inserts, black dials and steel cases that everyone drools over.

post-53-1194968751_thumb.jpg

The BPs are high on my list also. I've just pulled the trigger on a MKii Seafighter which should be available in Feb '08. It should be a good quality watch at reasonable cost and will be a good companion to my Blackwater.

Wow,,,the seafighter looks great,,,,will be hard to wait but worth it I bet. I'm not sure I would buy a blancpain rep unless I knew for sure the quality was really really high,,, :o

Seems like there is an inexhaustable supply of these fake BP Fifty Fathoms coming out of Vietnam. I would never buy a vintage FF without lots of really detailed photos that I could post on the Military Watch Resource (MWR) Forum. Several different models are faked, but the Plain dial seems to be much more common than the no radiations version. If you see on the back engraved MV7705 Run like hell!!

Someone mentioned this guys wasted talent. Remeber guys he is reselling to dealers in Europe, primarily in Germany and Switzerland, who are passing these off as genuine NOS Military issue BP's. He is getting at wholesale, probably 2-3X what he could get if he was selling these as Reps. How many of you would pay 1200-3000 USD for a rep? That's what he is getting for these by selling as genuine. Just go to Ebay every few days and search Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, see how many show up there and how much they sell for.

If you want an honest quality watch that looks just like the PB FF without the name,but with a warranty and resale, get a MKII Stingray. Bill Yao does incredible work, offers several different dials, several hand sets and three bezel configurations. And all for less than 600.00 USD.

I have a great deal of respect for reps and rep dealers that are selling their watches as reps. I have nothing but contempt for those low life scammers who sell someone a rep as a genuine.

Just my Dos Centavos

Arthur

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...