When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A short holiday in Madagascar (23 pics)

sssurfer

Shots from a recent holiday in Madagascar.

I took with me my 050 (it is one of my few reps that I feel I would never get called out on it, and it also is waterproof tested).

Should three watch pics be too few in order to qualify this thread for the Panerai area, mods please move it wherever you like (I was unable to decide an appropriate sub-gallery in the Photography area).

The arrival and a wristshot:

arrivalwo0.jpg

wristshothm5.jpg

Going scuba diving... not too bad places, IMHO:

landscape2lf7.jpg

Nice travel company to our diving places:

dolphinshf3.jpg

A dive group shot:

divegrouplp0.jpg

Assorted underwater fauna shots:

turtlepy9.jpg

smallfishgt0.jpg

morayyp7.jpg

seastarqq7.jpg

And... His Majesty the Whale Shark! (about 10m long):

whalesharkxz5.jpg

whaleshark2bd0.jpg

(I have to admit the 2nd pic was not taken by me, it was provided by a friend and I suspect he took it from the net)

Not just scuba diving... Madagascar also has nice land attractions:

landscapeao8.jpg

To reach our forest trekking place whe had to do some pirogue work...

piroguesmo1.jpg

I had Lara Crof right in front of me as my guide!

laracroftei7.jpg

But don't get too excited... I also had wifey right behind me as my guardian ;):

wifeybo5.jpg

Assorted land fauna shots:

Lemures:

lemurerf6.jpg

lemure2lw6.jpg

Chameleons:

chameleon2ie1.jpg

chameleonyp4.jpg

Other reptiles:

geckoqg0.jpg

snakecf5.jpgsnaketakenex6.jpg

Some well deserved rest together with my 050 (it does not clearly show in the pic, but it was underwater):

restdn6.jpg

Thanks all for looking!

:sss:

Shots from a recent holiday in Madagascar.

Welcome back, Sssurfer! I can't believe the latest shots from Action Man. First climbing the Dolomites, now swimming with the sharks. I say again, I say a dozen times -- WHAT A MAN! :)

Some of my favourite shots include:

wristshothm5.jpg

:wub:

Considering you could've used your gen PAMs, this speaks a lot that you would take the 050 with you. BTW, TeeJay also took his SS bracelet to go swimming, on a trip to Spain.

Is yours the tapered kind of bracelet?

BTW, nice hotel!

divegrouplp0.jpg

Magnificent. You cannot imagine how impressed I am!

morayyp7.jpg

My favourite underwater photo. That moray eel looks vicious.

wifeybo5.jpg

Like all good men, you are taken. Drat. :lol:

chameleonyp4.jpg

Never been to Madagascar, but had a good friend at school who was from there (she was Indian). Not to deviate too much from your watch story, but how did you like the country? How was the local cuisine, e.g.?

restdn6.jpg

:wub: :wub:

What a great shot that is. Even with the Speedo.

Thanks Sssurfer! I didn't leave a welcome back message this time, on your profile, as I thought you might think I were stalking you. :lol:

P.S.: Have another bout of the bronchitis, so I've been dilatory about you know what. Expect something from me soon. AND GRAZIE!

Your vacation was WAY better than my vacation! :D

Hey! If you had said you were coming to South Florida, I would've recommended some awesome diving places for you.

Like Key Largo's "Jules Lodge" -- an underwater hotel! :)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...underwater.html

You take your scuba gear down with you to your "room". A little claustrophobic, but like that ice-hotel in Sweden, an once-in-a-lifetime experience!

jules-dining.jpg

Hey! If you had said you were coming to South Florida, I would've recommended some awesome diving places for you.

Like Key Largo's "Jules Lodge" -- an underwater hotel! :)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...underwater.html

You take your scuba gear down with you to your "room". A little claustrophobic, but like that ice-hotel in Sweden, an once-in-a-lifetime experience!

jules-dining.jpg

I probably would of had a panic attack in this room....

Thanks all, fellows!

I hope you will forgive me if I take this occasion to have some small talk with our Lady. ;)

Welcome back, Sssurfer! I can't believe the latest shots from Action Man.

Thanks, Vicky, bentrovata to you!

Just, I am an intellectual rather than an action man... go figure, next year should be released my book... :blush:

Considering you could've used your gen PAMs, this speaks a lot that you would take the 050 with you.

Uhm, I have no gen PAMs... I suppose this speaks even more about me :)

Is yours the tapered kind of bracelet?

Yes, 22mm at the lugs and 20mm at the buckle.

BTW, nice hotel!

You like the hotel, Vicky? Here are a few shots:

hoteldayio0.jpg

hotelnightuy8.jpg

hotelinternalsao6.jpg

Like all good men, you are taken. Drat. :lol:

but always available for good flirting with very selected ladies :lol:

how did you like the country? How was the local cuisine, e.g.?

Honestly, I cannot say I came to know Madagascar. I stayed in one of the best hotels of Nosy Be, an island considered the Montecarlo of Madagascar. But I had a few trips outside, and poverty was overwhelming.

People is very very poor, but they look serene. Still, prostitution to tourists is one of their main sources of income. We had a couple trips to town discos, and we had to literally take the hands of girls off us. You could rent a girlfriend (they said a "fiancee") for a whole week, night and day, at a risible price.

Even in the town, people had no electric light. Night clubs make their own light by machinery.

About their cuisine: it looked as their national dish was langouste and lobster. I never eat so many langoustes and lobsters in a row (and in a week). I love them, but in the end I could not even look at them anymore. And their meat is not for me. They have no cows but zebus, and that meat was though and even too tasteful. Vegetables were even too spiced to me.

Fruit was obviously exceptional, especially papayas and mangos.

Even with the Speedo.

Hey! That was not a Speedo! :lol:

And sorry, I hate boxers for bathing and swimming. :)

I didn't leave a welcome back message this time, on your profile, as I thought you might think I were stalking you. :lol:

If I had thought it, that would just have been to my delight.

Thanks Vicky, and sorry for your bronchitis. I really hope you get well soon.

I hope you will forgive me if I take this occasion to have some small talk with our Lady. ;)

Thanks, Vicky, bentrovata to you!

Grazie a te! Heh, I spoke Italian twice in one day, this time less comically (the first, to the Roberto Cavalli boutique).

Just, I am an intellectual rather than an action man... go figure, next year should be released my book... :blush:

I am not amazed! On the contrary, no matter if I agree with the topic or not (anti-Christianity, etc.) I know it will come from a first-class mind -- that's what counts! :)

Uhm, I have no gen PAMs... I suppose this speaks even more about me :)

Whoa, really? I could've sworn you had one or two stashed somewhere. Ah well. Yes, it speaks that you don't waste your $5000 on a $500 watch. ;)

Yes, 22mm at the lugs and 20mm at the buckle.

You like the hotel, Vicky? Here are a few shots:

Thanks! The night shot one is particularly fine (you must have a great camera). I am not too keen on the Ikea look to the inside (I bet it appeals to your Zen sensibilities, however), but at least it looks airy!

but always available for good flirting with very selected ladies :lol:

A confession, my dear Sssurfer.

I am the biggest flirt in the world!

...and my boyfriend understands! I am very lucky. Another woman would have a black eye. :lol::o

Honestly, I cannot say I came to know Madagascar. I was in one of the best hotels of Nosy Be, an island considered the Montecarlo of Madagascar.

Only the best for our Sssurfer and family!

But I had a few trips outside, and poverty was overwhelming.

People is very very poor, but they look serene. Still, prostitution to tourists is one of their main sources of income. We had a couple trips to town discos, and we had to literally take the hands of girls off us. You could rent a girlfriend (they said a "fiancee") for a whole week, night and day, at a risible price.

Sounds like Rio...I cannot properly enjoy having lived in South America, not because I had a bad standard of living. On the contrary, we lived like royalty. But who can enjoy their fortune with so much ENDEMIC poverty around?

I mean, this isn't the poverty of a Napoli or New Orleans. When I went to South Africa, I remember being told that little schoolgirls exchanged sex for a bus ride, when they didn't have the money. In Rio, the local "tourist police" sometimes procured little street urchins for paedophile Germans and other tourists. I know, I saw it with my own eyes, and protected a little lad from this horrible fate (for one night...big deal).

I'm sorry, this was supposed to be a happy reply. But your reply about the risible price gave me a horrible flashback to the way things really are in other countries. Never will I complain about the US, or the UK, because we live in paradise.

Even in the town, people had no electric light. Night clubs make their own light by machinery.

Amazing. :(

Food has to be bought fresh in many of these locales, not because the chefs insist, but because in Africa, South America, etc. refrigeration costs a lot. Even first-class restaurants don't have a freezer...

About their cuisine: it looked as their national dish was langouste and lobster.

Ah, I looked it up because in my mind, langouste and lobster are the same. Langouste (I'm guessing you translated this from aragosta) is closer to crayfish.

I never eat so many langoustes and lobsters in a row (and in a week). I love them, but in the end I could not even look at them anymore. And their meat is not for me. They have no cows but zebus, and that meat was though and even too tasteful. Vegetables were even too spiced to me.

Doesn't sound too appetising...

We recently had a thread about an Italian chef and her interest in watches (Lidia Bastianich). I mentioned one chef who has a TV programme loves to taste bizarre foods.

I'm guessing a trip to Madagascar is in the offing. :p

Fruit was obviously exceptional, especially papayas and mangos.

Ah, that is important. I love fruit more than veggies, but eat both in quantities. ;)

Hey! That was not a Speedo! :lol:

And sorry, I hate boxers for bathing and swimming. :)

Funny that I complain about a Speedo, when it shows more than any woman has a right to see without a wedding ring. :lol:

If I had thought it, that would just have been to my delight.

Thanks Vicky, and sorry for your bronchitis. I really hope you get well soon.

Me too! It sucks being at home. My wrist-checks are all boring. First thing I will do, is take photos near the water.

But thank YOU for your amazing pics! More soon, I hope. :)

no matter if I agree with the topic or not (anti-Christianity, etc.) I know it will come from a first-class mind -- that's what counts! :)

Whoa, thanks!

Anyway, no religion issues... not directly, at least... it is just a scientific (but in plain words, as far as my co-author and I have been able on such a though subject) book about mind and consciousness.

(Btw, I am anti-religious, but not especially anti-Christian. There are much worse religions around).

Ah well. Yes, it speaks that you don't waste your $5000 on a $500 watch. ;)

Sacred words! :lol:

A confession, my dear Sssurfer.

I am the biggest flirt in the world!

A confession, my dear Vicky.

I actually had a feeling of it!

Sounds like Rio...

I cannot properly enjoy having lived in South America, not because I had a bad standard of living. On the contrary, we lived like royalty. But who can enjoy their fortune with so much ENDEMIC poverty around?

Exactly!

Btw, the island and hotel were we were located are all but expensive to tourists, I don't want to sound like a King Midas.

Ah, I looked it up because in my mind, langouste and lobster are the same. Langouste (I'm guessing you translated this from aragosta) is closer to crayfish.

Yes Vicky, I was meaning aragosta. I checked my dictionary and I came out unable to make my mind about which word to use. In the end, I choosed the word that sounded more French-like in consideration of your French speaking.

Thanks for pointing me to the right word! I know you are not used to correct your interlocutors, but I would really appreciate it if you will help me this way with my English any time.

Whoa, thanks!

As I mentioned to Pugwash, what is important is not that we agree about everything. The important thing is that you sense there is INTELLIGENCE at work, not fossilised ideas and jargon in argumentation.

I hope people sense that in me, and I certainly do in others here. :)

Exactly!

Thanks for pointing me to the right word! I know you are not used to correct your interlocutors, but I would really appreciate it if you will help me this way with my English any time.

Ack, now I feel bad, though you couldn't have been more gracious in accepting my correction. But it wasn't to correct exactly, as I don't like that. It seems petty. I remember I once wrote something fairly long in Spanish. The one word I got wrong, some person pounced all over it in what seemed very silly to me.

EDIT: I checked my ratings and I have 3 Bad Spellings given! WTF. Must've been in irony.

I don't correct spelling mistakes for that reason. We have a saying in English, Sssurfer: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Except in Speedos. :lol:

Question: Did you see any nice diving watches at your hotel? I know your Euro goes a long way in those places, and I don't think you're King Midas -- but still!

Thanks all vb, LordRasta, deltatahoe, SubFrog, Stephane, timgroth, docblackrock, kenberg, V, cornerstone, chieftang and Pix for your kind words and/or appreciation!

I had a great a time, but, honestly, I missed you and the RWG company. :group:

Yes, B., the 050 performed perfectly. :)

Stephane, sad now to see you depart from great part of your astounding collection. :(

Vicky, you may figure I extensively checked my scuba fellows and any other hotel guests' wrists for their watches.

Still, I saw NO interesting watches :o -- with exception for a quite boring genuine Rolex TT sub on a fellow diver.

I suppose we are just a bunch of watch geeks...

Stephane, sad now to see you depart from great part of your astounding collection. :(

Don't be sad SSS :(

It's because I need to concentrate on some nice projects :whistling:

And, also, what is the point keeping watches in a cabinet for years?

They deserve wrist time.

You see, I like them :wub:

That is why I want a great life for them :1a:

Cheers

Stephane