When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And so the hunt ends!

anton

I don't know what's gotten into me, but recently I've taken on the affinity of liking PAMs. No, not so much the "historics" (HW models), but the chronographs.

Initially, I like chnorographs. If you are a PAM-aholic, you might have seen the two PAMs (202 and 212) I had on the F/S section and the mangled 187. Ahh, my quest for perfection. The only thing I got from that is perfected wretchedness.

I was given the opportunity back in March to buy a 196 for 20% less than 2006's MSRP, but I didn't know PAMs that well, so I passed on it and purchased a 14060M @ 20% less instead. IMO, that may have been the biggest mistake I made. I could have recouped purchase price + some had I decided to sell later!

So, I've found my "diamond in the rough":

DSC00594.jpg

I found it on the 'bay and for a pretty good deal too!

Sure, it's small, but I've always wanted myself an El-Primero based watch. It's a good size (40mm), but wears larger (think 42+mm Breitlings) due to its' height and lug ends. The movement is beautifully finished, and I had to do a double-take after I wound it just to make sure the balance wheel was spinning!

I'm used to using ETA-based chronographs, so it felt weird to have to turn the time on the first position, date setting when the crown is pulled to its' second position (ETA is juxtaposed). Too bad it doesn't have a "hacking seconds" feature. But one trick I learned was to apply a bit of reverse pressure after setting the time to stop it.

I have been through and owned plenty of Gens. And Like Jerry Seinfeld, I'm more a Breitling man myself. But why is it that for some reason, I have this euphoric feeling of getting my first gen PAM that I didn't get when I bought my first Breitling that actually was worth getting (Emergency)?

So, I've found my "diamond in the rough":

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have been through and owned plenty of Gens. And Like Jerry Seinfeld, I'm more a Breitling man myself. But why is it that for some reason, I have this euphoric feeling of getting my first gen PAM that I didn't get when I bought my first Breitling that actually was worth getting (Emergency)?

Someone, somewhere, Anton, will describe the sexy attraction of a Panerai watch. In the meatime, all I can say is CONGRATS! Nice choice too! It DOES wear larger, because it looks perfect on you. :good:

Looks great. With that movement it is a classic. Wear it proudly. :D You have a rare and beautiful piece - a WIS's PAM. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now that you have a gen here is a fun idea. Throw it on and wander down to 47th street. There are 2-3 large-scale dealers with tremendous inventory (both new and old). When they see your wrist they will want you to try on everything. Their prices vary from decent to horrible but it is the best way to try every model you have ever wondered about and then figure what, if anything, to buy. :D