When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First attempt - modded 1655 Orange Hand

Slartibartfast

Sure, no problem. If anyone wants one just PM me with an email address. I could save as a PDF for those who don't have autocad, but I am not sure if the resolution would be as good. Worth a go though... costs nothing to try!

Thank you Slartibartfast for the .rwg and .pdf file you sent me!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.............

I was troubled by the silver rehaut on this rep model. It stood out as wrong when compared to a gen. I tried to think of a way round this, so bought some mat finish model enamel paint, popped out the crystal, and painted the rehaut black. Wow what a difference!

Before

finished16.jpg

After with black painted rehaut

Exp2AFTER.jpg

What do you guys reckon?

----------------

Also the dial was VERY glossy. Completely wrong IMHO. I took a tip from freddy333, and used some acrylic mat spray varnish. Again wow what a difference (better first hand, the pictures don't do the finish justice). Can't quite beleive that two small modifications have made such a huge difference!

1655matdial.jpg

Next on the list is a repaint of the GMT hand, as I have made a bit of a hash up of it the first time around.

This has turned out to be an "itch watch". I just can't stop scratching at it!! :D

Slart,

If you want hands that look spot on to the gen 1655 hands, Omega has a set that I believe are for the 70's Flightmaster model, that need some broaching on the minute hand to fit an ETA movement and that's it.

Here's what they look like and the best part they're ~$30 at Ofrei for a NOS pair. They really make a huge difference.

DSCN4548.jpg

Nice job!! A tip on the overlay....After you scan the overlay, you'll probably want to clean up the vecors to avoid doubling the printer-caused "wobbles" when you reprint. Not doing that won't make too much of a diff on adress labels, but it will if you use high-resolution inkjet vinyl, which will produce much crisper prints IMO. Try Planet-label.com. You can get a lifetime supply for around 10 bucks. (and you can find 1000 uses around the house for the extra labels...or at least Ms. Archibald did). For those who want to change w/ the font thickness...the easiest way for a non illustrator pro like me was to rasterize the file in photoshop @ like 4800 dpi, select the numbers, expand the selection to the desired thickness and then run a black paintbrush over them. Since the overlay is rasterized during printing anyway, it doesn't matter that you're not working in vectors anymore, and you have complete control down to the pixel of how much you fatten the numbers. Plus you could easily make a roulette overlay if you want, too.Nice job!! A tip on the overlay....After you scan the overlay, you'll probably want to clean up the vecors to avoid doubling the printer-caused "wobbles" when you reprint. Not doing that won't make too much of a diff on adress labels, but it will if you use high-resolution inkjet vinyl, which will produce much crisper prints IMO. Try Planet-label.com. You can get a lifetime supply for around 10 bucks. (and you can find 1000 uses around the house for the extra labels...or at least Ms. Archibald did). For those who want to change w/ the font thickness...the easiest way for a non illustrator pro like me was to rasterize the file in photoshop @ like 4800 dpi, select the numbers, expand the selection to the desired thickness and then run a black paintbrush over them. Since the overlay is rasterized during printing anyway, it doesn't matter that you're not working in vectors anymore, and you have complete control down to the pixel of how much you fatten the numbers. Plus you could easily make a roulette overlay if you want, too.

Wow! Fascinating project! The date wheel overlay is impressive, and the black rehault did wonders.. not to mention the varnish on the dial. I'd love to have such a convincing vintage like that. I've kind of felt the 5512 itch coming on.. I guess we'll see how long until I have to scratch it. :)

Thanks for this post. I was just starting to compare gens to the reps I've seen online and the lume, datewheel and mag were the big things that stood out. The Swiss markings on the bottom are quite different as I think it needs the "<25" markings...pull out that pen!!

TT, early 1655's had the T Swiss T marking and a different shaped coronet on the dials.

post-2831-1197314975_thumb.jpg

Slart,

If you want hands that look spot on to the gen 1655 hands, Omega has a set that I believe are for the 70's Flightmaster model, that need some broaching on the minute hand to fit an ETA movement and that's it.

Thanks tmg, I agree your Omega hands trick looks VERY good. I don't have the skill or tools to modify them to fit though :cry:

Nice job!! A tip on the overlay....

Cheers archibald, I will give your idea a go!

Brilliant McQueens guys!

Please keep this thread going, I really enjoy reading it... over and over again. :)

I am very happy that my first efforts at modding (and reporting for that matter) have been enjoyable to read. Thanks By-Tor, for the feedback.

TT, early 1655's had the T Swiss T marking and a different shaped coronet on the dials.

Nice reference shot... thanks tmg! Gives me something to aim for!

• 2 months later...

Another quick update.............

I was not too pleased with my re-lume attempt on the hands. So I whipped them off, dipped them in paint stripper, and re-painted them. I then used some night colour, mixed with acrylic paint and re-lumed them from the back. Miles better! Well worth it IMHO.

Here are a few current photos of the 1655 as it is today.

Exp02-03.jpg

Exp02-02.jpg

Exp02-01.jpg

I don't think I have quite finished with this project yet. I would like to change the strap for a vintage foled item. I see they come up on fleabay once in a while (but go for over a hundred quid) so it may be a bit of a sacrilege to attach it to a bastardised rep! I also would like to have another go at the datewheel overlay. That could be better.

Watch this space! ;)

• 3 months later...

After some time tinkering with my 1655, I may have come to a point now when I can just relax and enjoy it for a while. I think it may be time now to treat it to some wrist time, instead of it seeing the inside of the parts box.

IMG_2923-1.jpg

To sum up, I have had a go at 'proper' luming, using Noctilumina. It has taken several attemps using this compound to get anywhere near acceptable

results, but I am quite happy with it at this time. I hope to have another go sometime in the future, and improve the overall appearance.

IMG_2954.jpg

The lume after exposing the watch to 10 minutes of sunlight is quite stunning. The glow is startling!

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Hope you enjoy these latest pics.