When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First attempt - modded 1655 Orange Hand

Slartibartfast

Having just completed my first major modding project, I thought that I would

share with you the processes that I have gone through (right or wrong) in an effort to persuade you all to have a go yourself.

After all if I can do it......

So here we are, a brand spanking new Explorer 2 "Orange Hand" 1655.

This is the ETA version bought from TT, billed as "Top Grade Vintage"

Explorer-1.jpg

Pic As Original

As you may be able to see from the pic above, there was no lume (dial or hands), the date mag was negligible, the date font was wrong (on the 3's), and the crystal didn't look even remotely original. It also came on a diver's oyster strap, which wasn't as shown on the TT website. Good old Andrew sent me a replacement strap FOC, so that was that bit fixed anyway!

Explorer-2.jpg

Pic Of Original Strap

Well this wasn't quite "Top Grade" enough for my liking, so thought well what the hell, let's have a go at modding. I have read loads about it here on RWG so, armed with a basic watch repair toolkit, off we go!

Oh...I will make a point here of owning up to being in a completely different (amateur) league to repaustria and his 1655 modding antics (but you guessed that already, didn't you ;) )

After the initial strip down, the first job was to relume the dial and hands. I used a mixture of Revel night colour and the tiniest amount of yellow ochre acrylic paint to get just the right shade for that vintage look. I applied it to the dial using an old 0.18mm Isograph pen (used to be a draughtsman you know), dipped in a small amount of paint, and then dotted onto the dial (all credit to Edge for his inspiring guide). Bit by bit the lume was built up to give that old, slightly knackered look that would suit a "30 year old" watch.

1655dialrelume.jpg

Pic of dial lume technique

I used the same process for the hands too. Whilst I was at it, I re-painted the 24 hour hand in fluorescent orange mat enamel to look more like the originals I have seen on the web.

IMG_2292.jpg

Pic of lumed hands waiting for re-assembly

I wanted the correct date font for the date wheel, you know, the flat threes. I thought that I would have a go at making one myself. Using AutoCAD, I made a 1:1 vector image of the original date wheel overlay, having measured it with vernier calipers to get an accurate size. I then re-drew the threes to give them the flat topped look. I printed a whole batch of these overlay stickers on self adhesive address labels, using a laser printer. I think that they have turned out quite well considering. I cut one out and simply stuck it over the original overlay. It took three or four goes to get it centered in the date window, but then that is why I printed out so many!

IMG_2295.jpg

1655DW.jpg

Overlay shots

The final mod that desperately needed doing was replacing the crystal. I trawled through the Cousins website and found a near match for diameter and date mag position, again using the old trusty vernier calipers to measure up. An original crystal won't fit this rep case so I am told, so there was no point lusting after the impossible. The replacement crystal was a cheap (less than

Definate improvement. The mag really sucks on those rep crystals. I have the same watch watch with a dead movement. If I can find a movement I may do what you've done to mine. If not, I may sell the pieces so someone else can have a project.

I don't know much about the 1655 but I've heard these reps aren't the greatest but I still like them even though the dial is a little busy. When mine did work, it was hard to tell exactly what time it was.

Great job! Now there will be many more projects.....trust me! ;)

Looks fantastic, congrats. I also have been using AutoCAD to do some date wheel work. I just brought in a scanned image and traced around the numbers with polylines and printed them on label stock like you did. Its a little tricky applying them, but the result is cool. Now you got me thinking of tearing apart my 1655 for a similar makeover ^_^ . Applying the lume with a technical pen is brilliant, I never would have thought of that one.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Cheers B)

I also have been using AutoCAD to do some date wheel work. I just brought in a scanned image and traced around the numbers with polylines

Spooky, 'cos that's exactly what I did, polylines and all, you can change the tickness unitl they look correct for the font size. I tried using TT fonts, but none that I could find were anywhere close. Great minds thinks alike!!. [EDIT] BTW I used a HP 600dpi laserjet. I would think that a better printer would yield better quailty results.

Absolutely. I need to get that vintage feel for both. There are many suggestions for doing this on the board. I will probably try them all :lol:

Fantastic :lol: I'm sure I've read something about using something like detergent and an old toothbrush to age the 24 markings, but I forget precicely what cleaning agent was recommended... With regards dings and scuffs, I tried the 'coins in a coffee can' method, which others have mentioned, with my Daytona, and it had no effect at all :confused:

Dang it. See what you've done! I've pulled out my 1655 parts and now I'm wondering where I can a movement for it so I can start the mods. Thanks alot ;) .

Ha ha!!! I am sorry. But you won't regret it. Good luck finding a movement, though I think that I read somewhere here, that Cousins have a Chinese replacement movement (with 24 hour 4th hand). I may be completely wrong here, but worth checking out.

I could save as a PDF for those who don't have autocad, but I am not sure if the resolution would be as good. Worth a go though... costs nothing to try!

Thanks for this post. I was just starting to compare gens to the reps I've seen online and the lume, datewheel and mag were the big things that stood out. The Swiss markings on the bottom are quite different as I think it needs the "<25" markings...pull out that pen!!