When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Results - New Super Sea Dweller Super Test & Review

themuck

I am stunned and gratified at the effort that went into this review. This is a real service to the board, and you are to be commended for it. Someone mentioned this previously, but I will reiterate. As far as I am concerned you are the coolest kid on the block.

Great post themuck,

:) great contribution, very informative and useful. I am still wondering how one of our reps could have survived to such a treatment! Besides this I also agree with the members who comply about the rust ... It is true that we will never stress a rep like this, but are we sure that rust does not appear at a more ... relaxed use of our watches? I think it is strange that rust is related to pressure ... but maybe I am wrong.

Fantastic review! Initially I did not have much interest in this watch, but after reading this review I am definitly going to purchase a SSD, I think the dealers owe you a free watch for all the troubles you went through, and for making a phenominal review that will probbably spark many members into buying this watch...You rock man, by far the most comprehensive, and informative review i've ever read..Cheers mate!

At the very least the dealer should give you a replacement watch just for the trouble you went to in this, I humble volenter to start a museum for these abused super reps once TheMuck has finished with them ;), well done in all this if we had a POM award then it is yours!

Precisely... 316L (as claimed to be used in our reps) is not even supposed to rust...

Nevertheless, what an outstandingly amazing and infinitely original review you have done here, themuck... :notworthy: :notworthy: This should most definitely be made a bloody sticky!!! :1a: :1a:

Grade 316L, the low carbon version of 316, is immune from sensitization (grain boundary carbide precipitation) and so is extensively used in heavy gauge welded components (over about 6mm).

Grade 316H, with its higher carbon content has some application at elevated temperatures, as does stabilized grade 316Ti. Nitrogen strengthened versions are also available as 316N and 316LN.

I have used 316Ti when building process lines for the textile industry and I can assure you this grade of s/s will NEVER show signs of rust or deterioration. Although 316L (low carbon) is an excellent metal, the choice should be 316H, or, the Ti series.

Also, 316L is subject to bruising, nicks, scrapes, dings, etc. It's a good metal, but, more, it's on the lower end of the 316 series. In addition, the content of the metal depends greatly on who made it. It should not be surprising that two pieces of 316X react differently from each other. It's all about the chemistry of who is making it. I have dealt with CN 304, 316L and 316Ti and I can assure you they are not the same products you'll find coming out of EU, or, the US.

Tim

Tim

Precisely... 316L (as claimed to be used in our reps) is not even supposed to rust...

316L stainless will corrode quite easily. Just not in the typical day-to-day environment your wrist will experience.

The exhaust on my wife's car I had custom made out of 316L tubing, and the corrosive [censored] that builds up in and outside it will cause it to stain and mark. Just as long as it doesn't perforate though I am happy!

@UB7

The fact is, that the one tested, was indeed VERY waterproof, some may say pressure proof as well :D

However, that does not necessarily mean the next one is the same!

Semantics maybe, but we do know well, the lack of QC in these things, so I don't beleive we can assume that because this one "survived".... because the He valve worked..... etc etc, that all SD's will do the same.

Would still suggest that any aspiring owners have a watch pressure tested before getting anywhere near water.

Offshore

I can't thank you all enough for the humbling and very much appreciated comments you have all made. It was because of this courteous and friendly attitude here on RWG that I decided to fomulate and compile the test review for my fellow enthusiasts and I certainly have not been disappointed by your warmly welcomed appreciation of my efforts.

However it is with the deepest regret that I'm posting this reply to inform everyone that I have just been notified that I must now return offshore to relieve someone who must travel home on compassionate grounds and I will therefore be unable to upload the DVD (which hasn't been delivered to my home yet anyway) to YouTube before I return (four weeks from today). Having just returned onshore at the weekend, I was not due back offshore until just before Xmas (4 weeks on / 4 weeks off rotation) but this setback for my colleague means I can now spend the festive season with my family.

To SportsterRider - thanks for the advice, is this the same Meguiars polish that I use on my car or is there a specific product you use for watches?

To Jetsons - thank you for the advice, where can I get this cloth on the internet?

To keith_bran - interesting your bracelet seemed low quality also, wear it well my friend.

To stevethebest - I don't think the rust was a result of the additional pressure, I reckon it had more to do with the fact that the SSD was exposed to seawater for extended periods in a short space of time (much more than would ever be experienced by a scuba diver or sea swimming) combined with the caustic elements that were in the water.

To FxrAndy - I know the trusted dealer knows about the test and review because I told him about it. It would be great to see a replacement for my rusty SSD arrive in time for my return home in four weeks just as long as it had a bracelet that worked lol.

To K4TJP & r11co - excellent and very knoweldgeable information and expertise of the type that makes RWG so brilliant. I don't understand the technicalities but I do see where you're coming from with your welcome post.

To offshore - this one was guaranteed and had been sent to a watchsmith by my trusted dealer for the extra depth to 10 Bar / 100 msw and +/- 5 secs per day prior to dispatch as part of a pre order deal that was available to everyone.

To domibal - all the other watches that were in the same saturation chambers, the same diving bell and the same water conditions did not suffer the same rust problems as the SSD. All the other divers were wearing gens from various manufacturers including a couple of G Shocks and they emerged working, unscathed and rust free.

Thanks again everyone and I will respond to all your brilliant comments and questions as often as I can but please bear in mind I will be working from later today onwards so my opportunities to respond are very limited. I will upload the video to YouTube the second I get home. Thank you very much for your patience.

themuck

Edited by themuck

@UB7

The fact is, that the one tested, was indeed VERY waterproof, some may say pressure proof as well :D

However, that does not necessarily mean the next one is the same!

Semantics maybe, but we do know well, the lack of QC in these things, so I don't beleive we can assume that because this one "survived".... because the He valve worked..... etc etc, that all SD's will do the same.

Would still suggest that any aspiring owners have a watch pressure tested before getting anywhere near water.

Offshore

My point exactly in the original thread. This test in no way validates anything other than this single watch. There is no QC in replicas...no factory assembly line...no replica to replica dependability in anything other than a certain level of consistant reproduction fidelity.

Jon - The He valve is essentially a metal plug/rubber gasket sitting in a hole in the side of the case and held closed with a spring (click here for additional details). As the pressure inside the case increases it will eventually exceed the pressure outside the case. When this threshold is exceeded, the inside pressure 'pushes' the plug outward, opening the plug a bit & allowing the pressure to escape. Because the plug is held in place by a spring, the plug is drawn back into the case returning to its original (closed) position as the pressure inside the case diminishes and equalizes with the outside pressure. To put it simply, it happens automatically, you never do or see anything.

themuck - I will add my thank you to all those that preceded me. My only complaint (a pretty large one I am afraid) is that you need to either locate the Macro control on your camera (and learn how to use it) so your close-ups will be useful or get a camera that has one (nearly all digital cameras do). Your review is excellent, but your photos are nearly worthless.

And I agree with Offshore's comments (do not assume that all of these watches are similarly pressure & water proof).

EXCELLENT review!! Very impressive... except your photographic skill ;)

The watch could visually be modded but there are some parts that can't be modded and those wory me:

- rehaut

- dialprint

- etched corwn

- and the biggest not possible to modd... is the bracelet feel

But the rust after diving is simply shocking. Personally i wouldn't call this a good deal for the money. A $250 Invicta submariner would not rust... this one does and it is really shocking.

Guess i'm gonna pass on this one. Maybe they'll produce a pre 2004 model (with lugholes and without etched crown) that is made of real 316L stainless steel...

Thanx again for this excellent review... and look on your camera for a macro setting so you can make nice close ups :D

EXCELLENT review!! Very impressive... except your photographic skill ;)

The watch could visually be modded but there are some parts that can't be modded and those wory me:

- rehaut

- dialprint

- etched corwn

- and the biggest not possible to modd... is the bracelet feel

But the rust after diving is simply shocking. Personally i wouldn't call this a good deal for the money. A $250 Invicta submariner would not rust... this one does and it is really shocking.

Guess i'm gonna pass on this one. Maybe they'll produce a pre 2004 model (with lugholes and without etched crown) that is made of real 316L stainless steel...

Thanx again for this excellent review... and look on your camera for a macro setting so you can make nice close ups :D

WOW!!! And I was about to order one.....I honestly thought things would look better this time around.