When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

curious on what price you pay for Fuel

lanikai

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in New Jersey USA - $2.89/gallon for regular - I drive approximately 144 miles per day and average $20 per day in fuel. I have a 2005 Ford 500 (now the Taurus) that fortunately gets up to 32 mpg highway and averages over 25 mpg with mixed city/highway driving - not bad for a BIG car

That's why Americans have better teeth. :)

CANADIAN SUMMARY

===============

Dental...CHECK

Healthcare....CHECK

1 year Parental benefits...with up to 5 years of leave depending on who you work for...CHECK

Quasi-legal rep watch collecting...CHECK

The Zigmeister...CHECK

Gas...$1.041/litre for 87 octane...CHECK

CANADIAN SUMMARY

===============

Dental...CHECK

Healthcare....CHECK

1 year Parental benefits...with up to 5 years of leave depending on who you work for...CHECK

Quasi-legal rep watch collecting...CHECK

Ziggy...CHECK

Gas...$1.041/litre for 87 octane...CHECK

When I was in the Food and beverage industry we us to marvel at what the workers in Canada were making.. until we walked into a market there.. so everything's relevant... but something definitely needs to be done about our health care.. insurance companies are too much of a racket... IMHO they actually tell doctors how to practice.. but i regress..

since last week everything.. and I do mean everything has gone up at least 1.00 dollar.. that might not seem like much in and of itself..

but times that by everything you touch that doesn't grow in your back yard .. and for all intents and purposes we are in a recession again.!!

To go see a movie .. a family of 4 will spend over 60.00 ...

what really gets me is the gas stations charging now for air and water... 50 cents.. each !

I didn't vote for the presidency that's lining his constituents pockets :angry:

oh well, no sense moaning about what can't be controlled...

After seeing the differences in gas prices from state to state (at least in the US) It's obvious that it's more than taxes and who sitting on the big chair in washington, it's a combination of supply/demand and a lot of corporate america taking advantage of the weak economy and our addiction to gas.

Oh yes and all those buying into the oil stocks at $100+/barrel Good work a$$holes!

sorry i got carried away

^_^

Of course, Americans can look forward to driving the G-Whizz one day, so that's nice.

1a.jpg

That's no G-Whiz. That's a Smart, designed by Swatch and made by Mercedes. While they would not be a huge success in the US, they're a winner in the European capitals where people have different tastes and priorities.

I don't have the patience to read the whole thread but I may be the winner/loser. I am on a smaller Carribean island at the moment and if I do my math right I am paying in excess of $7.00 per gallon (1.2 Euros per liter).

My Heart bleeds for you W... ..."Life is Good"... have a great time suffering with the gas price buddy !!! :lol:

... but something definitely needs to be done about our health care.. insurance companies are too much of a racket... IMHO they actually tell doctors how to practice.. but i regress..

Yes and no...it's not all Rosie here. In the US, a Dr. is both restricted in what he can do as per profit margins by the insurance company, but at the same time has the flexibility to do things how they want and not how much they cost, if they are in a top-tier HMO type situation where the dollar counts less as the premiums are super high.

In Canada...some procedures or approaches to problem solving are simply not allowed as the "carts" are not equipped to do things a particular way due to cost control measures or whatever because it all is paid for by the state.

Mind you, in a situation like POTR, boy it would sure help him avoid being subjected to such a rough ride.

Everything is about Give and Take...but you usually don't miss what you have to "Give" until you are in a situation where you wished you didn't have to.

There are so many differences, pro/con arguments it gets silly getting too involved debating them...but, it does give good material to make posts from. ;)

On an even cheaper note...a friend works on an isolated drilling environment up north, and they get the cheapest gas...FREE. They have a pump station anyone can fill up from at their leisure...that shows you how remote they are though, as you need to fill up to make it back to civilization, and most trucks have supplementary tanks in the flatbeds.

That's no G-Whiz.

No zebra stripes, duh! Silly me.

eleykishimoto237yx7.jpg

That's a Smart, designed by Swatch and made by Mercedes. While they would not be a huge success in the US, they're a winner in the European capitals where people have different tastes and priorities.

That goes without saying. In the wide open spaces of North America, where 100 miles gets you no where fast, it would be a death trap.

But I'm sure Omega looks great in his. I drove it in St. Barths and it was FUN. :tu:

I wonder if his predicament has changed anyone's minds on the stupidity of insurance-driven medicine.

Let's not go down this path in a petrol thread, because we'll get into politics swifter than you can say Esso (thus, according to Kenberg, closing it down).

Besides, to pontificate on any topic whilst there is a member in serious trouble seems very inhuman.

The only arguments won on either side would be that of self-righteousness, and that's not good.

I wonder if his predicament has changed anyone's minds on the stupidity of insurance-driven medicine.

if you were to see the profit sheets of the HMO's here in Hawaii .. sheesh .. I'm in the wrong business.. a couple of friends are in the in the pharmacutical business and another sells supplies to the hospitals... out of this world profits.. almost as bad as what the govenment pay's for nails and screw drivers.. :lol: .. never saw where plastic tubing cost so much...and it's all passed on to the patient whose HMO carrier pay's for it.. so your point is well taken pug B) ... they just found an excuse to pump up the EMS services with the price of gas.. and Pug .. yes we are all working on taking health care out of the "Private" sector... believe me we all suffer with it right now..

add on:...everything is centered around Oil... One of Hawaii's 2 inter island airlines filed for bankrupcy yesterday.. 2nd time in 4 or 5 years.. today it was denied and the lenders are calling in all debts... now this may seem like just another company going belly up.. but we grew up with this airlines taking us on special trips to the neighbor islands as kids... and then on vacations .. they are part of our culture.

3,500 jobs may be lost... workers who have invested 20 to 30 years in the company.. took pay cuts to help.. but the rising fuel cost from a dollar and change.. during the last bankrupcy to.... 3.25 usd for jet fuel has been too much.....many of my friends work for this company

Mr. Wong .. Mr. Smith... Ms. Yamada get layed off... all three have House payments to make.. health insurance for their family through benefits from the company... the grace period runs out on the health insurance.. bills start mounting... house is foreclosed they have to pull their children out of private schools .. car payments are due... one vehicle is repossesed.. at what they were making with the airlines they cannot afford their bills with jobs that pay half ... health insurance runs out,... some families have had to remortgage their homes to care for their elderly because insurance will only cover so much...

the whole socio economic food chain suffers ..food and beverage ... entertainment.. etc.

so.. yes health care IMHO is in sync with the rising cost of crude... and the price has just risen in some areas by 2 cents since posting this morning..

moral of the story.. we live and breath Oil.. especially living in the Hawaiian Islands.. yes it is paradise to us... but there is a price to pay