When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Too Busy"

Victoria

It all depends on how the watch is put together and the overall design. Just like a work of art, it is a personal choice and you can be just as fond of a simple Patek Philippe Calatrava as you can a Hublot BB Chrono with all of it's complications. Seems that most of us have a simlilar eclectic sense of taste in watches from simple to complex and

one is really no better than the other.

It all depends on how the watch is put together and the overall design. Just like a work of art, it is a personal choice and you can be just as fond of a simple Patek Philippe Calatrava as you can a Hublot BB Chrono with all of it's complications. Seems that most of us have a simlilar eclectic sense of taste in watches from simple to complex and

one is really no better than the other.

EGGZAKLY.

Single-best thing about being in a rep watch forum -- the utter diversity of the eyecandy.

(Yes, I know a lot of people will disagree, because it's PAM this, Rolex that, but individually we have a varied collection which unless we were millionaires to a man and woman, we couldn't have if they were gens)

It's only clutter if it serves no function. So one man's clutter is another man's necessity.

Diamonds on a watch, for example, don't serve any function that is meaningful to me.

Date wheels and GMT hands, on the other hand, are extremely useful features, more so than numerals on bezels.

Unless you are a diver or actually use them for timing purposes, I find numbers on bezels to be the an unnecessary piece of busy-ness.

Having said that, I still love all of my watches with numbered bezels, including the SMP, which I am wearing today, the UPO, Speedmaster, and Chopard Mille Miglia GMT.

Along the line of thought that you are pursuing, I wonder what percentage of RWG members' collections are made up of chronos and what percentage is non-chrono. I just checked my collection, and mine is split between 5 chronos and 7 non-chronos.

Good Lord!

Funny, but I avoided buying the 029 specifically because of the numerals on the bezel. On the 063 the 24 hour indicators are fairly small numerals on the outside of the dial itself, and still retain a rather clean look. The only extraneous element that mars the 063, in my opinion, is the cyclops. I do, however, like the tuxedo dial on the 029, and that is an extraneous design element, although an extremely attractive one.

For me, it was the other way round, in that I think the numerals on the dial (even if small) still add to the 'clutter' (and the larger GMT hands definitely do) I don't normally like a cyclops on a watch, as I don't like them being a raised detail on the crystal, although with PAMs, they locate it internally, so it's not an aesthetic problem. I admit, I still don't like having to alter a date wheel, but, purely in terms of cyclops positioning, I can't really fault Panerai's design choice (absolutely spot on, as with all things Italian :D ) I'd originaly ordered the 029a as a gift, but it was the detail of the dial, which very quickly won me over, and made me decide to keep it for myself ^_^

as I don't like them being a raised detail on the crystal, although with PAMs, they locate it internally, so it's not an aesthetic problem.

Exactly so with me. When I got my first Panerai watch with a datewheel, I thought, my word, they wouldn't even spoil its sleek lines with an unsightly bump. Italians think of every detail. ;)

Exactly so with me. When I got my first Panerai watch with a datewheel, I thought, my word, they wouldn't even spoil its sleek lines with an unsightly bump. Italians think of every detail. ;)

Absolutely so :) Okay, a datewheel might be a feature I can do without, but, the good folks at OP dealt with it in as unobtrosive manner as possible B)

Funny Vic, but the Cabestan has a few more wheels than Franklin's (his had 3, and only 1 hand)... but quite astute observational humor in that the Cabestan resembles most old clocks, with the exception that it 'reads' on reels on it's shafts, instead of on hands on the ends of those shafts... the tourbillon/regulator is there... fusee... as is the winding key (crank)... just a bit smaller, and much more complicated... kind of reminds me (slightly) of a Ferguson that once crossed my path (endless chain)... too bad Vianney didn't add his "Equation of Time" complication to this piece while working on it with Jean... oddly... and probably unintentionally, with the 'stripes' between the plates, it is kind of reminiscent of the backside of one of Jean's other projects... the Monaco V4 belt driven concept... which kind of reminds me of the stripes on the face of the other 'BUSY' Anniversary Monaco..

• 1 month later...
I enjoyed Transporters for the great watch sightings. :p So far, though, we've spoken of subdials and chronos, etc.

How about the printing?

That can really clutter up a lot of the watches. OTOH, I love me some Pateks, but this is just TOO plain.

3468.jpg

Its not too plain look....The 12 , 3, 6, and 9 have double sticks. AARRRRGGGGHHH! I can't look it toooo busy!! take it away!