When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

177 Out of Production

TWP

A few weeks ago my supplier had warned me that the 177H models are going out of production in GZ. I thought to myself, yeah right. Tuesday I placed an order for 8 more. Guess what. NONE. I have had to order 20 036 models just to get the Titanium case. According to several of my suppliers all Ti case panerai are out of production.

In the last two months we have seen the 112H and 176H go out of production. What is next? The 005 and 111H?

WTF? After the 112H the 177H is my second favorite model. I am sure a lot of you guys and gals started with the 177H as your first panerai purchase. WTF?

Edited by TWP

I was told the same thing a while ago also but now it seems like the rumor had some truth behind it. Never really cared for the Ti's but I guess I should pick up a classic 036 at least since they will be more valuable on the second hand market

The 036 is a great watch. Don't get me wrong, but due to demand i am turning all of mine into 177H's

Its a damn shame <_<

Uh oh, will I be able to get a TWP 112H? On SS of course. :)

I had my supplier ask the factory to make some dials for me. The problem i had to order 500 of them. The price is higher on the 112H due to the fact that movements need to be converted over for the 112H and this is more labour intensive.

Edited by TWP

A few weeks ago my supplier had warned me that the 177H models are going out of production in GZ. I thought to myself, yeah right. Tuesday I placed an order for 8 more. Guess what. NONE. I have had to order 20 036 models just to get the Titanium case. According to several of my suppliers all Ti case panerai are out of production.

I had heard something along these lines from a famous collector, but didn't really believe it. How can they stop making the 177h? That's madness.

Also, no destro cases are being made anymore, save the ones Davidsen makes. I've always wanted to own a PAM 115.

What is next? The 005

Patiently waiting for mine, TWP. It would be a great Christmas present for myself.

I am sure a lot of you guys and gals started with the 177H as your first panerai purchase. WTF?

It was actually part of a 3-fer buy -- 111h, a 113, and the 177h all in one go. Immediately afterward, I turned to Davidsen.

My dream watch is the logo 005, though. :p

@TWP below: That's a shame. The 217 is an absolute beauty, and very very underrated both in the rep and gen worlds...thanks for the forthcoming 005. And the other stuff. Plus the Kevlar. Just let me know when they're ready. I'm on tenterhooks since August.

Vic

The rumours you have heard concerning the 217H are correct. As we all know they are using the crown guard from 127H and the caseback from 127H. I have two correct versions of the 217H fully modded but they are for my brother and me!

Ah yes,

the 005 i have not forgotten

Cheers

T

That's bad news TWP :(

The 177 is my favorite PAM -- though I am more of a 177G guy myself B)

IMG_2271.jpg

Nothing wrong with the sausage dial at all. One of my favorite sausage dials is the 000 and 009. I am just shocked that they are doing away with Ti cases! This is not good.

Aslo i have noticed that my last shipment of 177's a couple weeks ago the cases totally sucked. The crown guard screws were very unforgiving, the finish horrible on the cases, and well we all know about the lever pins ;)

Edited by TWP

Wow! Just in time to get mine from you then, T

For such a popular model, how can they stop producing it? I thought we're generating more than enough demand for them to continue with the supply? Are they trying to replicate even the 1500 pc only?

... I'm just glad I got mine. So glad... Phew!~

Wow! Just in time to get mine from you then, T

For such a popular model, how can they stop producing it? I thought we're generating more than enough demand for them to continue with the supply? Are they trying to replicate even the 1500 pc only?

... I'm just glad I got mine. So glad... Phew!~

I am glad that you got yours my friend. Now you just need the strap and lugs that go with it :p I will get those out to you this weekend.

Also, your case was a lot better then the last crop that i got. It is interesting that the 036 case IMO has a better build to it, and the ar is unbelievable.

Cheers

TWP

Sign of the times, guys...:-( unfortunatelly.

I've been hearing from dealers for some time now that PAM replicas are not selling in numbers they used to 1-2 years ago. To general public that is. We're still hot on those...but we (rep enthusiasts) just don't make the numbers needed for economical rep production.

Amongst the rumors I heard is the 000 Logo Base is now a history, 005 is about to follow the suit. Andrew told me some time ago that he's having difficulties sourcing 112/176/177H sandwich dial PAMs, the only one he could still get in big numbers was 111H, but mostly in Asian ETA 6497, and very very limited pieces in Swiss ETA 6497.

I know, it doesn't make sense...but it's happening. :-(

I believe that this last batch of E and H-series Swiss mov'ts Davidsen is about to receive by the end of the week is one of the last, if not the last. :-(

Lets keep an eye on the situation, and see how it unfolds from here.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Sign of the times, guys...:-( unfortunatelly.

I've been hearing from dealers for some time now that PAM replicas are not selling in numbers they used to 1-2 years ago. To general public that is. We're still hot on those...but we (rep enthusiasts) just don't make the numbers needed for economical rep production.

Amongst the rumors I heard is the 000 Logo Base is now a history, 005 is about to follow the suit. Andrew told me some time ago that he's having difficulties sourcing 112/176/177H sandwich dial PAMs, the only one he could still get in big numbers was 111H, but mostly in Asian ETA 6497, and very very limited pieces in Swiss ETA 6497.

I know, it doesn't make sense...but it's happening. :-(

I believe that this last batch of E and H-series Swiss mov'ts Davidsen is about to receive by the end of the week is one of the last, if not the last. :-(

Lets keep an eye on the situation, and see how it unfolds from here.

cheers,

babola

Swiss ETA movements are getting scarce, but really the new asian IMO is a better movement. The 005 is in limited quantities that is for sure. The base 000 is long gone and the 217H dust.

Babola,

what are you thoughts on the new asia h and e movements?

Cheers

TWP

Well this is not good for those who will want to buy a Ti Pam in the future. The price of bulk Titanium has gone up and the equipment to CNC it is very expensive to keep in running condition. I think with those two factors alone it would cause the Chinese to rethink the market.

As an aside, the movements have been going to the Asian ETA for quite some time now. I tried to warn people about it, but no one was having it. The dealers are to blame there. They did not put pressure on the factories to stop selling them clones which they pass on to the consumer as ETA.

Furthermore, imo Panerai as a company has gotten a little greedy. They took their gen customer base and crushed them. A person who could/would afford the $3-$6,000 model have been pushed back to make way for the $20-50,000 models. Now that's not to say that other companies that did the same are doing poorly (Patek, Vacheron, etc), but they understand that they lose a good percentage of base customers when they charge these ridiculous prices. So when you lose the base customers you lose a lot of interest. Omega is a great example of a very high quantity seller who has not lost site of what/who makes them great.

Lastly, with the Ti models rare, look forward to price gougers. I have seen this time and time again, and this certain to bring out a few people who want to make a quick buck.

Lastly, with the Ti models rare, look forward to price gougers. I have seen this time and time again, and this certain to bring out a few people who want to make a quick buck

My prices will remain the same my friend :tu: There will just come a point in time when i cannot offer the 177 or any Ti case pam anymore.

Edited by TWP

My prices will remain the same my friend :tu: There will just come a point in time when i cannot offer the 177 or any Ti case pam anymore.

I was not speaking about dealers. They will either stay the same or slightly go up. I am talking about used sellers. It seems people wait for opportunities like these to pass off their $150 watch for double to some newb who wants a rarer watch.

Furthermore, imo Panerai as a company has gotten a little greedy. They took their gen customer base and crushed them. A person who could/would afford the $3-$6,000 model have been pushed back to make way for the $20-50,000 models. Now that's not to say that other companies that did the same are doing poorly (Patek, Vacheron, etc), but they understand that they lose a good percentage of base customers when they charge these ridiculous prices. So when you lose the base customers you lose a lot of interest. Omega is a great example of a very high quantity seller who has not lost site of what/who makes them great.

Well said...Panerai is trying to move its brand more upscale.....and the Ferrari line?!?....WTF....I thought Panerai was a diving watch company but that niche is gone now....Panerai charging over $4k for a UNITAS and ETA movement based watches :thumbdown: ...please...our reps are just as good!

Remember when these watches were $2800? :huh::g:

I do love their 233 and so called "in-house" movements and really want to get one into my watchbox...but sheeeit...at $12k and with their semi-annual price increases...that will be almost out of reach for the average joe like me....

BACK OT...The ti PAMs never did too much for me...but the 36 I might be interested in....

Sure wish TWP would get back to me on the Swiss 113H I have been asking about :whistling:

B)

Babola,

what are you thoughts on the new asia h and e movements?

Cheers

TWP

Definitely getting better in finish and probably reliability.

The new Asian 21.6 kbph 6497-2 movements are really nice replicas of the gen Soprod mov'ts, however I'm still pro Swiss ETAs, for now anyway.

In few months or so they will become so scarce that the only option available to us will be Asian ETAs, untill then ...:)

cheers,

babola