When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally, my Franken 16220 Datejust.

stilty

Well, finally got around to assembling this project. Everything you see is Genuine Rolex with the exception of the sweeping second hand and the springbars (which you can't really see).

Of course, the movement is not Rolex, but ETA 12892. The same movement I used in my wife's OP Date. I love these movements. The manual wind is so smooth and effortless. As is the time setting. The sweep of the second hand is also very very smooth!

Gen. Rolex 16220 case with gen bezel, crystal and crown.

Date Disc is genuine 3055 with smaller closed fonts very similar to 3135. Most of the 3055 have larger sized open fonts.

Dial is genuine as are the hour and minute hands. The dial is a newer style, probably late 2005 early 2006? Silver but the stick markers are Super-Luminova filled. The hands are SL filled as well and match the dial nicely. This sucker really glows at night! It is a stunning dial in real life, but I must admit it is probably the weakest link to the watch. Why? The dial is too modern for this age of case and bracelet, but I wanted a dial I could read at night... so I can live with it. If anyone were to call it out, which I highly doubt, I'll just tell them I had the dial exchanged.

Bracelet is genuine jubilee.

Here are some pics of the finished project:

face2zh2.jpg

face1og0.jpg

sideyw6.jpg

backoy3.jpg

A couple of wrist shots:

wrist1rr0.jpg

wrist2kn3.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the movement being test fit in case and checked for stem alignment. I like to use a service stem that sticks out so it is easier to see if everything lines up and is in plane.

12892wx5.jpg

and another.... perfect alignment!

6lugtp6.jpg

And a shot of the genuine 3055 date disc. These are relatively inexpensive when you can find them and the date progression matches the ETA.

datediscup4.jpg

It is not the ideal watch for myself, but I'll keep it until I get bored. I'm really starting to love the vintage Datejusts and have my thoughts on a 16014 with tuxedo dial and prefer the oyster bracelet. But I must admit, this would be a great watch to wear to a formal or semi-formal event.

honestly though throughout the years there have been so many dial variations that you'd be hard pressed for someone to call you out for that, and if they did you're on the right track - just tell them that rolex beverly hills just sent it back to you refreshed and ready to go.

looks great btw!

Thanks guys! I must say it was a pleasure to assemble! I love it when a plan comes together.

And Diesel, that other project we discussed is coming together nicely. Hopefully I'll have everything in order in a couple of weeks! Now that is a watch that I'm excited about!

Hey, if you're ever looking to sell that beauty, the line starts behind me ;)

Excellent work!

Thanks!

Haha! Probably won't want to sell anytime soon, but I'll keep you in mind if I do!

Unfortunately the problem with building these out of all genuine parts is the cost involved. The costs add up quickly and would scare away most collectors.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

The date disc was from eBay. I picked it up for $75. Not cheap, but better than paying $100 for a 3135. I think the one I have is a RSC replacement as the fonts are almost identical to the 3135 disc. The other discs I've seen for the 3055 are larger font with open 6 and 9. I picked one of those up for $10 and will use it for a vintage project down the road.

The only problem I had with the gen disc is rubbing against the mainplate when glued directly to the slighly recessed ETA disc. It was an easy fix though. Also a bit of a shame to glue over the Mido disc. The printing is perfect and very high quality. The Mido disc is also a very cool silver, similar to the silver 1570 disc. Oh well.

Also, an update on the lume of the dial. It must be quite a thick fill. I charged it under the bathroom light fixture as I brushed my teeth for the dentist recommended 2 minutes before I went to bed. After the two minutes, it was glowing like a torch. Checked it at 7am and it was still glowing strong enough to tell the time.

Hi Stilty,

Looks great. Do you still have to bend the minute hand with this movement to clear the dial?

There's nothing like the real datewheel. I have a "tuxedo" red/black wheel screaming for use, but it's hard to fit to a 2824 (as you know) which is all I have on hand at the moment.

Cheers,

Steve.

Do you still have to bend the minute hand with this movement to clear the dial?

Hi Steve, The cannon pinion, hour wheel and fourth wheel have all been changed to the proper fitting height in order to clear the markers. No need to bend the hands. That is a short cut that should be avoided. When one spends good money on genuine parts, the job should be done right.

Unfortunately, the only way you will fit that genuine date disc is if you use a 2892-2 movement.