When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Made my first straps... excited but i need your opinion!

esdee

Hi Guys...

i cought the bug of generally everything replicas have, so here i am making some straps.

i m very excited but i need your feedback!

here we go...

first strap

dsc0930gm4.jpg

dsc0938ap5.jpg

dsc0923qa2.jpg

second strap

(took very quick pics, if i set the lighting correctly you will be amazed with its texture-color)

dsc0908fp0.jpg

dsc0912nl2.jpg

dsc0906ed5.jpg

dsc0909vr6.jpg

but i need your feedback on stitching this strap

(if i go ahead and stitch it...)

what thread you prefer!

the strap threads on lamp light

dsc0965md5.jpg

dsc0964wf8.jpg

and on daylight

dsc0966ny1.jpg

and i keep making straps :D

Edited by esdee

if that is your first strap then i am french, nice work, want to swap any

FxrAndy, you're too honest is what. You posted that first strap seconds after you finished it, and it was your first attempt. Mine would've looked even more manky! But I would've posted the third. :)

I was comparing the 007/008 straps the other day. Esdee, that was one of the best things FxrAndy ever thought of -- giving limited edition numbers to each. If they're just for you, cool. But if they're for others, that or another cool touch, would be awesome.

WOW!

thank you all for your good words!!

if that is your first strap then i am french, nice work, want to swap any

honestly, these are the first two... :D

i actually made these two for myself, but i can make a couple more for trade i guess

mine are 26/26 125-130/~85

Phenomenal, Esdee! You know you have a customer in me, whenever you need.

As for the thread, go with what Tallkenny suggested. Darker shade will make that second strap pop out. However, I rather like the look of it, as is. :wub:

thank you Victoria! :blush: !

im also thinking in applying edge kote on the croc strap, im testing how it looks on a sample i have!

thank you all guys for the feedback!

Keep up the good work.. Practice and only practice will make you better and better..

If you need any advice or a live tutorial during Christmas let me know ;)

Thank you Kostas!

it will be my pleasure, maybe we go leather shopping together :D

im buying coffee!

For first effort it looks good. There are a number of things I could mention that would kick it up a notch, but if you are just making these for yourself, then what you have done should suffice. If you want me to go over the "other" things. Let me know, I'll be happy to let everyone in on the strap making secrets ROFL.

For first effort it looks good. There are a number of things I could mention that would kick it up a notch, but if you are just making these for yourself, then what you have done should suffice. If you want me to go over the "other" things. Let me know, I'll be happy to let everyone in on the strap making secrets ROFL.

my friend this is why i made this thread! feedback!

even if your posts starts like 'they suck big time because ...you did this and not that and '

i will carefully read it because i know there are secrets that i am unable to think of from my first attempt!

you can even PM me anything you like!

my friend this is why i made this thread! feedback!

even if your posts starts like 'they suck big time because ...you did this and not that and '

i will carefully read it because i know there are secrets that i am unable to think of from my first attempt!

you can even PM me anything you like!

Hey,

I didn't say it sucked. It's just there are things to learn or do better at. I do not claim to know all or be perfect myself, so what I give is my experience.

First, learn how to saddle stitch. This goes a long way in stitching leather, strap or not.

Secondly, make sure to skivve down the areas where the lugs will go, or else the strap will rub against the case and be very difficult to fit.

Thirdly, finish your edges. Some people do like the raw look, but finished edges look good all the time. Even if you still want to keep a bit of the raw look, burnish the edge a bit so as not to look like two pieces of leather just put together.

There are other things, but these 3 should help a lot. And in doing them you will most likely "fix" the other problems as well.

Hey,

I didn't say it sucked. It's just there are things to learn or do better at. I do not claim to know all or be perfect myself, so what I give is my experience.

First, learn how to saddle stitch. This goes a long way in stitching leather, strap or not.

Secondly, make sure to skivve down the areas where the lugs will go, or else the strap will rub against the case and be very difficult to fit.

Thirdly, finish your edges. Some people do like the raw look, but finished edges look good all the time. Even if you still want to keep a bit of the raw look, burnish the edge a bit so as not to look like two pieces of leather just put together.

There are other things, but these 3 should help a lot. And in doing them you will most likely "fix" the other problems as well.

thank you very much my friend!

1) i know my stitching is no good but i will sure practice it more and more!

2) here is something i didn't know :D

3) yeap, i know! i have edge kote but only black and brown and im going to order some other colors i saw availiable to match the strap color!

thank you very much for your feedback!

there is nothing better than respected members feedback with corrections improvements and thoughts! :D

Absolutely awesome straps, like Victoria, I'd buy the 2nd strap 'as is', although for a thread recommendation, personally, I'd chose the 3rd thread, as that would be the closest color to the leather, and, with a nice leather like that, personally, I wouldn't want to distract from it with a differently colored stitching. Just my .2c. Have you thought of making and selling matching strap/belt sets? (actually, that can go out to any of the resident strap gurus) That would definitely be something I would buy...

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys...

i cought the bug of generally everything replicas have, so here i am making some straps.

i m very excited but i need your feedback!

here we go...

first strap

dsc0930gm4.jpg

dsc0938ap5.jpg

dsc0923qa2.jpg

second strap

(took very quick pics, if i set the lighting correctly you will be amazed with its texture-color)

dsc0908fp0.jpg

dsc0912nl2.jpg

dsc0906ed5.jpg

dsc0909vr6.jpg

but i need your feedback on stitching this strap

(if i go ahead and stitch it...)

what thread you prefer!

the strap threads on lamp light

dsc0965md5.jpg

dsc0964wf8.jpg

and on daylight

dsc0966ny1.jpg