When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

if you can have only 1 pan, which one to get?

dvn

look around at your collection now and basically go for the one you don't have..

surrounded by polished SS watches? -- go titanium

got a mixture of blingy ss and leather'd watches? -- go PVD

the problem with pams is that

1. they all bloody look the same -.-

2. they're not "perfect" which is why so many people keep getting the same look but different models for a very marginal difference (ie: 111h and 177h = steel vs titanium, pfft)

3. mods to get the "gen" effect means one thing.. it's imperfect/not good by default -.- sorry folks but that's the truth..

PAMs ain't no super-rep

anyhows to answetr your original question, sadly only you can answer that.. and only by looking at your collection, finding for yourself what you want..

because PAMs by themselves ain't the answer

look around at your collection now and basically go for the one you don't have..

surrounded by polished SS watches? -- go titanium

got a mixture of blingy ss and leather'd watches? -- go PVD

the problem with pams is that

1. they all bloody look the same -.-

2. they're not "perfect" which is why so many people keep getting the same look but different models for a very marginal difference (ie: 111h and 177h = steel vs titanium, pfft)

3. mods to get the "gen" effect means one thing.. it's imperfect/not good by default -.- sorry folks but that's the truth..

PAMs ain't no super-rep

anyhows to answetr your original question, sadly only you can answer that.. and only by looking at your collection, finding for yourself what you want..

because PAMs by themselves ain't the answer

I thought Pan from DAVIDSEN is super-rep? what is wrong with his pam112 and pam111 ultimates?

If I had to have only one it would be a pretty traditional model.

Luminor, stainless, black face....so basically a 111, 112, 000 or 005

I actally made this decision once already and went 005 and I'm very happy with it and despite the fact that it's probably the least accurate of all of the model's I've listed. It's still the only luminor model I own despite my obsession with Titanium lately.

I thought Pan from DAVIDSEN is super-rep? what is wrong with his pam112 and pam111 ultimates?

my definition of a SUPER rep differs

nothing wrong with the dsn pams or angus pams or anything.. just pams in general are imnho, NOT super reps..

I have a HBB Polished Ceramic + RG.. compared to my HBB, my pams pale in comparison.. sure some may say it may just be personal preference and maybe it's true

but i'm an info seeker, and pams are heavily modded for a reason.. and when people say they got like 30 pams, that is a sign of not being able to find what you looking for or just whatever you have gotten isn't good enough so you try another model hoping it can be "the one" but it ain't etc etc

it's a general PAM trait, they all look bloody the same -.- sorry folks but it's true

anyhows, nothing wrong with any of the "Ultimate" pams for sale.. but to answer your original question.. that alone is up to you as to which one to get..

but be warned, when you get a pam, you'll want another because whatever you may have just isn't "up to par" or whatever and that's what they speak of when they say you keep buying pams

always go with your gut and your heart and your tastes and you wont go wrong..

I quenched my PAM thirst with 2 pams, smiply two and neither are "gen authentic" both are my homages..

111e with gold hands

082 with blue hands

happy hunting :p

The extinct 112H. If you can find someone selling one, pick that model up.

Cheers

Angus carries that, when I was asking around to build my "homage" pam with the gold hands, I originally inquired about the 111h or 111e with the gold hands.. but because he did not have the matching seconds hand in gold

he offered a 112..

I was confused as hell and didn't even know what the model was, I wanted the 111 and he sent me a pic and saw why he suggested a 112.. it didn't have second hands :p

but I told him non-matching gold hands is fine :) and got my homage 111e w/gold hands

As I said in the previous thread on this issue:

Only one... Oh boy... I'd say it depended on your intended circumstances for wearing it.

If you're someone who travels to other countries, then I'd personally suggest a 029a. If you're not much of a traveller, then a 112h is very nice. I suggest the Luminor rather than Radiomir line, simply because that then gives the option to wear an SS bracelet on the watch if you choose :)

In response to the points Tom made, I would agree, PAMs are by no means perfect reps, and yes, they do generally look very similar, but, my collection of them is not of various models to 'find The One', but because there are different aspects of different ones which I like. For example:

111h (which I wish was a 112h) - I really like the simplicity and the sandwich dial. It looks as good on SS as it does on leather, and it's not a watch that everyone recognizes.

PVD 111g (again, which I wish was a 112h) - The PVD makes for a different look to the SS. It doesn't matter that the movement has the different bridges I like, or AR on the crystal, yes, those things make it a technically superior watch, it's appeal to me is aesthetic - it gives a totally different look to that model watch.

029a - GMT functionality so excellent for travelling abroad. I'm not a fan of date-windows and cyclopses, but, having the cyclops inside the crystal is an improvement in design than Rolex's tired habit of fixing it to the outside, and spoiling the line of the crystal. Again, looks good on SS or leather (although personally, my ss bracelet doesn't allign properly to be worn, but if it did line up, it would look damn sharp) so a versatile watch which many folks won't recognize.

127 - Different size watch, combines the 111h/112h dial aesthetic, has a different shaped case, so from that perspective, not purchased in an attempt to 'improve' on the 111h in my collection, but bought as something completely different. Also, as the watch worn by Orlando Bloom in the movie Elizabethtown, it comes under the catagory of 'movie memorabelia', which is something I collect, so bought as both a time-piece, and a movie collectable.

Of course, everyone's going to have their own reasons for choosing certain watches, or buying similar watches, I just wanted to show some examples of choosing watches which (despite some basic similarities) are distinctly different in various ways, and, that those differences wer ethe reasons for purchase, rather than solely looking for 'improvements on aesthetics/fidelity of replication'.

:)

[Edit to add]

If it was a case of only one gen, then (disregarding my opinions on consumerism and price inflation) I would probably go for the 029a for the simple reason that it would be 1) versatile and look good on ss or leather, and 2) have the widest range of functions, ie time, date and GMT, rather than just 'time', so would be more usefull in a wider range of situations.

Edited by TeeJay

Are we talking gen or rep here?

Rep, one is impossible. Gen would be the solid gold 231 Radiomir.

Says the Omega-guy that didn't like PAMs at all a few months ago... And now you have various models???? :p

Good to hear, though ;)

The actions of a PAMophile trying to convince themself that they really did prefer wearing Omega watches so as not to give into the addiction of PAMs. Didn't work, did it :lol:

Only one?

From DSN?

For me I would get him to make me a "ultimate non-branded homage watch", 44mm case, superlumed dial, probally sausage dial, gold hands, secs at 9 O-clock, blank back with Swiss non-branded Movt., thick AR sapphire crystal, all the fixes.....

That would be hot as hell, and you don't have to worry about it being a exact rep of any Pam because it's a fantasy watch personaly for you.

PS I would like to see Tom's homage watches too.....

If you are looking for one PAM and don't intend to do any modifications than pick your favorite hand wind. If stuck on Davidsen go with latest 127 or one of his corrected dials. Now if you want a super rep go with one of the 2893 GMT's or old case 7753 196's and plan on sinking real money into it. If done correctly you will have way too much money into it $800-$1,000 but it will be better than any other "super rep" out there. Why? Because you have an original movement watch to keep for a lifetime.

I know everyone swears by the HBB and it is excellent. In fact I went to the trouble to make the most accurate HBB out there with actual Swiss 7750 attached to module, etc. But if we are being truthful if your watch has titanium inscribed on the back or has gold plating on it you have a rep that doesn't even have the right materials in it. :laugh:

And as for the comment that folks buy multiple PAM's because they are not super reps and want to get the next better one that is often not the case. Many of the folks who own multiple PAM reps also own gens. They are just obsessed. :good:

If you are looking for one PAM and don't intend to do any modifications than pick your favorite hand wind. If stuck on Davidsen go with latest 127 or one of his corrected dials. Now if you want a super rep go with one of the 2893 GMT's or old case 7753 196's and plan on sinking real money into it. If done correctly you will have way too much money into it $800-$1,000 but it will be better than any other "super rep" out there. Why? Because you have an original movement watch to keep for a lifetime.

I know everyone swears by the HBB and it is excellent. In fact I went to the trouble to make the most accurate HBB out there with actual Swiss 7750 attached to module, etc. But if we are being truthful if your watch has titanium inscribed on the back or has gold plating on it you have a rep that doesn't even have the right materials in it. :laugh:

And as for the comment that folks buy multiple PAM's because they are not super reps and want to get the next better one that is often not the case. Many of the folks who own multiple PAM reps also own gens. They are just obsessed. :good:

The 196 is on my wish list too...but I often have doubts between the 196 and the 250... With the 7753 both would be equally wearing their original movements, wouldn't they?

They are actually the two PAMs I would consider in a white dial... :p