When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rolex vintage gmt 1675

deltatahoe

so as some of you may have noticed, i've gotten the vintage rolex bug pretty bad recently. there is something about these classic watches that interests me much more than their modern counterparts. in particular, the acrylic crystals have a warmth to them that draws you in.

so i went on a hunt for a vintage rolex gmt (i've always been a fan of gmt watches), aided by the wise words of our very own vintage rolex experts eunomians, docblackrock & nanuq. while i've barely scratched the surface of the world of vintage rolex, i have really enjoyed the learning process, which has had a similar feel to when i first found RWG and started voraciously reading as much as i could about all the various watches, movements, straps and dealers.

vintage rolex is a whole other world of information (& personalities) -- there are so many different models, iterations, rare dial versions, it is pretty mind boggling. one thing i found funny was some of the terminology used to describe vintage watches; my favorite is definitely the use of the word example. people love calling nice vintage watches good examples, as in "a really nice, clean example of an early 5513". wierd.

as i started looking around, i quickly realized that i prefer clean, white dials on vintage watches to the more yellowed versions that have developed a "patina." some collectors prefer this look; personally, i just don't like the yellowed markers. this proved to make my search materially more difficult, as it isn't exactly easy to find a 30+ year old watch with original dial & hands that haven't turned yellow. however, with some encouragement from eunomians and some patience, i finally found exactly what i was looking for -- an all original 1675 with white markers.

i took a couple (ok, more than a couple) pictures this weekend; here are my favorites...

dsc01307bf6.jpg

dsc01312eg0.jpg

dsc01308oi7.jpg

dsc01331jt6.jpg

dsc01337da9.jpg

dsc01330qx6.jpg

now, a couple comments on the watch. while i was reading about 1675s and searching for the watch, i noticed several people mention the low profile of the 1675 and how nicely it sits on the wrist. i have to say, this is one element that i did not fully appreciate until receiving the watch. the combination of the thin profile/rehaut and the wide bezel is really striking -- pictures don't do justice to the unique look and feel of the watch. so as you may expect, i couldn't be happier with this piece.

in closing, i must extend a special thanks to eunomians for being very patient with me and providing quality advice that helped me find a truly collectible watch.

one final parting shot:

dsc01307bf6.jpg

deltatahoe

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Gorgeous GMT. Just spectacular..... Now, not to be thick here (I am a noob after all) but that's a genuine Rollie, right?

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on your pov) vintage gmt are not a well represented breed in rep circles.... pretty much all of the (gmt vintage) watches offered on the rep market bear little resemblance to the real deal...

so (at least for now) if vintage gmt is what you want.... gen is the way to go....

btw... beautiful watch delta...

Great watch mate!! Enjoy that beauty!! Someone already mentioned it, but you left out the part about the really nice folded link bracelet! Simply awesome!! It might have took awhile but it was definitely worth it, you really found the perfect vintage gmt, congrats!

Congratulation for your hunt.

It's certainly a wonderful example of a great vintage Rolie :good:

I'm very happy you found it and wish you all the best with your new baby.

Mr Euno is certainly a fine person and you confirm what lots of us think.

Great choice...one problem though : you make me consider that one too now :wacko:

Cheers

Stephane

DH,

Congrats... I think I have the fever... Actually I liked the yellowish markers so I spend a lot of time finding that one... And I did find it last weekend on TZ. It's a Pepsi as well with the folded bracelet... '71 in pristine condition I supose. Awaiting it's arrival... I will shoot some pics when it comes...

You have a perfect EXAMPLE there.

Delta, glad to see you bagged one in the end, only too happy to help advise. Congrats, normally the cynic in me would say it's been refinished but that dial - my god the thing is minty fresh almost NOS condition. '69-'71 serial (?).

I now have my own desired 1675 in my sights, just playing a waiting game, softly softly catchy monkey ;). And my lovely GF has promised to fund as a thank you gift, awwww :wub:

p.s. Euno is definitely on Santa's list this year :D

Absolutely incredible watch - a true rarity is such stunning condition. For those reading my words here, take another look at how fine this particular specimen is. No doubt this is a treat for all of us to see.

Wear it with pride my friend... And welcome to the 1675 club!

Best regards to you & yours,

Euno :)