When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Feel Bad For Calling Someone Out

sawalke4

today i was at the t-mobile store and they guy helping me had a pretty bad rollie GMP pepsi on. Small misalighned date, horrible dial. Anyway, I wanted to know where he got it so maybe I could check to see if they have any decent reps. I asked "where did you get the watch" He replied: Graduation gift from my Dad. I replied, no man really, I dont care, I just want to get one myself. He replied " Its a gift, my Dad got it from Mayors. Then I replied, No, its fake, I can easily tell. He got defensive and said, no, I have the papers and serial and box, and I got it checked by a AD! Its not fake!! Its worth about 5 grand!! I can show you the box, and papers, come back tomorrow!!.. I was like.. whoa, take it easy man. I just wanted to get one for myself. Then he said, well go there and shell out a few grand (pointing to the AD in the mall) I leaft it at that and dropped the topic. Geez, if you want your rep to pass as gen at least get a good one.

That is pretty funny....But what if his Dad really did give it to him for graduation? It was a rep but the dude didn't know it. What if the Dad thought his kid would never know and be happy with his Rolex! I don't know but if it was me... I probably would have stopped at the point the kid said his Dad gave it to him! But then again I'm a Dad!

Just a Thought

Shive

That is pretty funny....But what if his Dad really did give it to him for graduation? It was a rep but the dude didn't know it. What if the Dad thought his kid would never know and be happy with his Rolex! I don't know but if it was me... I probably would have stopped at the point the kid said his Dad gave it to him! But then again I'm a Dad!

Just a Thought

Shive

....and you would give your son a rep and pass it off as a gen?

But if your Dad did give you a Rolex, why would one take it to an AD and check it's authenticity. Where's the trust? LOL

The t-mobile guy's story smells fishy a mile around. Would you take a watch your dad gave you to an AD in order to verify wheter is genuine or else? Mmmmm....

Still, I would not have called out the poor guy.

@Nanuq: exhilarating story!

There's always the remote possibility that you're wrong when you think someone is wearing a rep. Bad crystal and cyclops? Maybe the guy got a heart attack when the AD quoted him a repair cost for the generous gift a relative gave him. Maybe he then took it to a repair shop that did a cheaper non-standard repair. Maybe the previous owner did that. Who knows? I would never call anyone out, with the possible exception of someone who was behaving obnoxiously.

Ah.............Hellooo..............We are all rep collectors, some are just not as fortunate as us in finding this great site, all around I think it's pretty lame calling someone else out for wearing a rep unless he is trying to sell it at an inflated price.

Ken

lol since when do they sell rolex @ Mayors? rotfl

It's the biggest AD in and around Boca Raton. Some of the fine jewelry stores carry Rolex, but the Boca Mayors has over 100 pieces in stock...in addition to Tag, Omega, Chopard, Patek, Hermes, Breitling, Panerai, Raymond Weil, Corum.

They even have some pre-pwned Rolex and Pateks.

...one of my favorite ADs to visit.

As far as calling out a rep...I don't do it.

There's always the remote possibility that you're wrong when you think someone is wearing a rep. Bad crystal and cyclops? Maybe the guy got a heart attack when the AD quoted him a repair cost for the generous gift a relative gave him. Maybe he then took it to a repair shop that did a cheaper non-standard repair. Maybe the previous owner did that. Who knows? I would never call anyone out, with the possible exception of someone who was behaving obnoxiously.

I agree. I imagine you'd be pretty embarrassed if a gen owner smugly pointed out your watch as a fake. Why do something like that to a fellow rep owner who says the watch was a gift from family. Maybe he's lying and maybe he's not but it's not worth pursuing. Would you walk up to strangers and doggedly demand they admit they got a cosmetic surgery or whatever? I don't think so.

Most of us spend so much time thinking and doing research on watches but we almost never get a chance to use it. Recently, at a mall watch store I was looking at a steinhausen (sp?) tourbillon and a skeleton. I couldn't resist telling the non watch salepeople all about the asian tourbillon and how I can actually get the skeleton movement for 7 dollars and the tourbillon for around 700 (the skeleton was 300, the tourbillon was 3000). I really tried to be as polite as possible but I think they were very happy when I finally left.

Yeah seems to be a twisted story. If you knew it was an obvious rep, why would you want to know the source? I mean why would you want to buy crap when you have such good dealers and resources here?

I don't like being mean but its hard to hold back sometimes, especially when the watch is obvious. I had two thugdizzle type re-re's come into work one night wearing some horrible Rollie copies. You know the type, super stupid but just don't give a fudge about anything! :lol: I mean these reps were BAD! They were fantasy dials, fantasy bezels, crappy crystals, light bracelets (no screws), worse than China town reps. They even still had the protective plastic on them! Well at least they "rolled yo!, they don't tick!" I was wearing a Gen IWI Diver that night so couldn't show them a quality rep to compare. I asked them "Those R0lex's on your wrists?" They both said, "YES" proudly. I said, "they're reps right?" They actually tried to pull them off as real, and I mean these things looked BAD! They hadn't even been sized and didn't even have screws in the bracelets! They said "no we just took them to Reed's (the local AD) to have them checked out!" I said again, "they're fake". The one guy started to get pissy, the other one (with at least half a brain) asked, "how can you tell?" I went on to show him half a dozen flaws and told him if he needed a good rep to come back the next day. The other one continued to get pissy like he was going to come back and shoot me cuzz I hated on his game yo! :D

Its just funny when some people try to pull these things off. Bottom line for me is, if the person justs looks like a walking joke I'll call them out, especially if the rep looks super horrible. Otherwise I'll just comment at the most like "nice watch!" and see what their response is. Sometimes they'll admit its a rep and sometimes they'll play it off. I do this because I will respond in the same fashion if someone says the same thing to me. I mean I've been spotted at work wearing a YM and called out a couple of times. It seems the YM seems to draw the most attention. Once by a guy wearing the Gen. He was polite and said, "nice watch" as he held is up next to mine and continued "I've got the same one!" Very nice guy, though I'm sure he assumed it was a rep. The other time was a low self esteem struggling lawyer type who probably spends every cent he makes trying to flash his very little cash! You know the type. He makes $60,000 a year but wants the image of a guy who makes $300,000 so his car payment, home payment, and credit card payments eat up more than he makes a month! Hey saw my rep and said "is that a YM? Hey let me see that closer is that real?" I could see him shaking in his boots! I mean it probably ruined his day or even his week to see that I could wear the same watch as him!

As far as your situation goes. Sometimes you shouldn't press it. The guy could have received the watch as a legitimate gift w/ rep box and papers and honestly not know its a rep! We sometimes forget that we know MUCH MUCH MORE than the average Joe does about watches! If the person seems cool I'll tell them the flaws, otherwise leave it be!

Cheers,

Jon :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Bignasty

I told the story originally on the old RWG and it came out a lot better over there. Ah well, it was a hoot.

I generally don't mention it when I spot a rep. Sometimes it's a work in progess, and the guy might be fixing it up incrementally. I have a pepsi GMT that's taken a couple years to get looking right. It was pretty bad at first!

Great story :thumbsupsmileyanim:

We'll get some copy cats now trying to emulate that unique nanuq moment :Jumpy:

edited for spelling. i think i need a new keyboard!

Edited by Chronus

I told the story originally on the old RWG and it came out a lot better over there. Ah well, it was a hoot.

I still love that story. I hope I can do something like that some day, although I don't own any watch that I'd be willing to part with like that...

It's rarely a good idea to call someone on their watch. If it's a horrible fake - who cares? Those horrible watches are no worse than the cheap junk you could find in Walmart and various malls. If it's a great copy then perhaps you'd like to find out where they got it from, but how could you be sure it really was a copy then?

The other day I saw someone with a huge Breitling type watch on. I walked towards him to get a better look at the watch and saw that it had those fake tourbillions/balance wheel. Didn't say a word. He obviously liked the watch enough to wear it so what possible good would come of pointing out an obvious fake?

He obviously liked the watch enough to wear it so what possible good would come of pointing out an obvious fake?

That's exactly right. Nobody ever calls out a woman at a dinner party for wearing costume jewelery. If it looks good on her, and she wears it with confidence, that's all that matters.

today i was at the t-mobile store and they guy helping me had a pretty bad rollie GMP pepsi on. Small misalighned date, horrible dial. Anyway, I wanted to know where he got it so maybe I could check to see if they have any decent reps. I asked "where did you get the watch" He replied: Graduation gift from my Dad. I replied, no man really, I dont care, I just want to get one myself. He replied " Its a gift, my Dad got it from Mayors. Then I replied, No, its fake, I can easily tell. He got defensive and said, no, I have the papers and serial and box, and I got it checked by a AD! Its not fake!! Its worth about 5 grand!! I can show you the box, and papers, come back tomorrow!!.. I was like.. whoa, take it easy man. I just wanted to get one for myself. Then he said, well go there and shell out a few grand (pointing to the AD in the mall) I leaft it at that and dropped the topic. Geez, if you want your rep to pass as gen at least get a good one.

To me, this speaks of ignorance, immaturity, and inexperience.

Once a person takes a position, to think you are going to get them to reverse direction and "fess up" is just plain nutz - I wouldn't, you wouldn't, nobody would. I fail to see the point - and this "I just want to get one for myself" [censored] is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

In other words - I am calling you out. You've taken a [censored] position, it won't stand scrutiny, but are you going to reverse direction, admit that your "I just wanted to know which [censored] purveyor of cheap garbage you bought that from so I could buy one for myself," nonsense is nothing more than airhead rhetoric?

C'mon Dude - fess up - nobody familiar with this forum needs leads from some poor schmuck wearing a cheap fake that can be spotted across the room. Admit it - you just wanted to show off, embarass the poor bastard as a way to stroke your own ego, which is exactly why you are sharing this pitiful story with us here today.

Sorry Dude, but I see nothing laudible about embarrassing some poor kid just because you can.

This "calling people out" [censored] is incredibly childish.

Bill

To me, this speaks of ignorance, immaturity, and inexperience.

Once a person takes a position, to think you are going to get them to reverse direction and "fess up" is just plain nutz - I wouldn't, you wouldn't, nobody would. I fail to see the point - and this "I just want to get one for myself" [censored] is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

In other words - I am calling you out. You've taken a [censored] position, it won't stand scrutiny, but are you going to reverse direction, admit that your "I just wanted to know which [censored] purveyor of cheap garbage you bought that from so I could buy one for myself," nonsense is nothing more than airhead rhetoric?

C'mon Dude - fess up - nobody familiar with this forum needs leads from some poor schmuck wearing a cheap fake that can be spotted across the room. Admit it - you just wanted to show off, embarass the poor bastard as a way to stroke your own ego, which is exactly why you are sharing this pitiful story with us here today.

Sorry Dude, but I see nothing laudible about embarrassing some poor kid just because you can.

This "calling people out" [censored] is incredibly childish.

Bill

I dont think so, I would really check where he got the rep. Plus, I ultimately asked the question so he could say, "yea its a fake" then direct him here.

Please tell this to all fundamentalist Paneristi :Jumpy:

I don't ever try to pass a rep off as genuine myself - I can afford any gen of any rep I have, but I take pride in the fact that I didn't pay $5000 for a $500 watch and the privilege of being buggered by Uncle Rollie.

The fundamentalist Pam [censored] who had the audacity to get in my face would be likely to get a spanking. I have no patience for insufferable twits.

B)

Bill

The fundamentalist Pam [censored] who had the audacity to get in my face would be likely to get a spanking. I have no patience for insufferable twits.

B)

Bill

Agreed.

It's when someone tries to pass off a rep as the real thing, in order to make money, that there is a problem. :bangin: