When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Gen!

JoJo35

I knew I was headed down this road a while ago, as soon as I realized I was becoming more and more critical of the defects in our reps that simply drove me crazy. Anyway, I finally bought my first gen. Tritium 16660, all original with documented recent Rolex service. This watch is the transitional sea dweller (no reps made of it that I know of). Early eighties watch, nicely patina'd tritium

...now, the only question I have....

.....should I mod it???? :lol:

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

..and here is a pic of it next to my fully modded mbw 16610:

IMG_1601.jpg

Anyway, I finally bought my first gen. Tritium 16660, all original with documented recent Rolex service. This watch is the transitional sea dweller (no reps made of it that I know of). Early eighties watch, nicely patina'd tritium

..and here is a pic of it next to my fully modded mbw 16610:

IMG_1601.jpg

JoJo -- In spite of the sapphire glass and the unneeded metal surrounds on the dial markers, you did well. Very well.

I always like to read this "gen" posts because there is always a huge boundary drawn between the disappointing watches and the really impressive ones. Yours, you should be pleased to hear, definitely falls into the latter category.

What an impressive timepiece this is. Definitely, you will never have to worry of being "called out" and you should be proud to own a genuine version of the watch so many of us aspire to have as well. You can swim with it, wear it in the rain, and treat it like the real machine it was designed to be. With a solid swiss movement whose origins are true, I am sure this piece will become the crown of your collection as there is no rep that will ever match the quality, reliability, and historical value of such a piece.

Congratulations.

I knew I was headed down this road a while ago, as soon as I realized I was becoming more and more critical of the defects in our reps that simply drove me crazy. Anyway, I finally bought my first gen. Tritium 16660, all original with documented recent Rolex service. This watch is the transitional sea dweller (no reps made of it that I know of). Early eighties watch, nicely patina'd tritium

.....should I mod it????

Why on earth would you want to mod it?

Do so , and you will de-value it.

You have a true one off.

Accept it the way it is, and enjoy it for what it is ........... a genuine piece.

.....should I mod it???? :lol:

Yes , I know its a windup, but I take people on face value.

This is very similar to taking a rep. into an ad.

Hey a 16660 !

Bravo Jojo.

These are going for big prices at the moment.

The Sea Dweller is so more sexy than any cycloped Rolex !

Great choice you made in my opinion.

So what was your first feeling when you got it on your wrist ?

- Finally a real watch

- So much better than reps

- Not bad but not so different from reps

- Why buy gens, reps are good enough?

Cheers and congrats,

Stephane

That is fantastic looking. Congrats. Now let's see if you can stand owning a gen knowing there is no modding to do on it. You know you want to mod it.. you can feel it, but there's nothing to mod. One night you will be looking at it and thinking "maybe I can just file that a bit and it will look better...."

Is my dial correct, considering that this is a 1665 case supposedly with a similar 'transitional' dial. Yours has the more modern metalic outlined markers shaping the tritium.

Congratulations-

The dial of the transitional 1665 is correct and the triple6 is also correct... and has great patina!

@Jojo... excellent!!! A triple 6 is THE most beautiful SD for me. I love my own 1665 great white but the triple 6 has the sapphire crystal and tritium markers in the modern case which i prefer above any other watch :wub: