When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you say this is gen?

spike

Just after some feedback on this Rolex dj that is for sale on a auction site here in New Zealand. Firstly, heres' the pics....

56675283_full.jpg

56675272_full.jpg

56675372_full.jpg

Now the guy says this is brand new and he received it as a gift from his last employer in the middle east. He is wanting $2900NZD (about $2170USD) for it. He says he doesn't have anything to prove the authenticity as it has the papers with it.

Would you say this is a REALLY good deal or another scammer?

First of all, it's a Date, not a Datejust. Country code is for a Middle East country, Serial # w/ D prefix is around 2005. Watch looks OK, but until you open the case, who can say. If the seller is reputable, I'd figure you're OK- i.e. buy the seller. The price is OK, new would be about $4,000USD. Plan B is to meet the guy at a watchmakers and open the case and confirm the 3135 movement.

Based on the pictures, seller's asking price & overall story, my gut tells me there is something amiss here (you can buy rep or gen Rolex boxes & paperwork all over the web these days, so showing those in the mediocre pictures does not move me). To paraphrase Alligoat -- buy the seller before you buy the watch. If the seller has a long history of successful high end watch sales in similar or higher price ranges, that would give me more confidence. If not, then I would follow Alligoat's recommendation of basing the sale on the seller's willingness to have the watch authenticated by a knowledgeable & experienced (in Rolex watches) third party.

Based on the pictures, seller's asking price & overall story, my gut tells me there is something amiss here (you can buy rep or gen Rolex boxes & paperwork all over the web these days, so showing those in the mediocre pictures does not move me). To paraphrase Alligoat -- buy the seller before you buy the watch. If the seller has a long history of successful high end watch sales in similar or higher price ranges, that would give me more confidence. If not, then I would follow Alligoat's recommendation of basing the sale on the seller's willingness to have the watch authenticated by a knowledgeable & experienced (in Rolex watches) third party.

Well that's the thing. He say around 30 trades to his name but they are all him buying goods (mainly model trains), no selling at all.

He is in a different city so meeting him at an AD is out of the question and he won't get it checked for authenticity as he says that the paperwork proves it's legit. I have asked if I cxn use safetrader (a form of paypal) which gives me up to 2 days with the product before the money has to be released however he hasn't gotten back to me on that yet.

Yes. Be careful!

This guy sold two on Ebay. I spoke with the previous winner in Brads feedback profile, Redusdiver, and he confirmed it was a fraud.

Rolex Submariner 18K/SS Blue Dial 2007 - (eBay item 110205606698 end time Dec-18-07 08:46:29 PST)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=001

Updated: 12/18/2007 13:13:15

More

Yes. Be careful!

This guy sold two on Ebay. I spoke with the previous winner in Brads feedback profile, Redusdiver, and he confirmed it was a fraud.

Rolex Submariner 18K/SS Blue Dial 2007 - (eBay item 110205606698 end time Dec-18-07 08:46:29 PST)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=001

Updated: 12/18/2007 13:13:15

More

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Don't even think about it. That's an old ebay scamming trick - I guess the account was kidnapped. Did he want you to write to a different email address? They look for low profile accounts which the owners only use seldomly and than hack into it. If it sounds too good to be true, it most of the time is...

Just my 2 cents...

Well, since my last post this morning, I've touched base with the guy and he's willing to meet at an AD to prove the authenticity prior to handing over the cash.

At $2200USD it is cheap but I've seen this model retailing for $2850 so it is cheap but not amazingly cheap. I'll check it out and see...