When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuines

Casey

Just left my local AD and the sales lady complimented me on my lovely 029 after handling it. I am positive that she knew nothing, or at least next to nothing about the brand, but never the less it still felt nice. I also tried on the breitling betley and it does not look like a wall clock on the wrist ( I am 5'9 and 170 with a 7'' wrist) It actually looks smaller on my wrist than a 127 does. I checked out the 111h and it is scary how close my rep is.

Long Monday has it been Feek ? ;)

Casey, any reason she was handling it ? Or just a casual glance when you were trying on the other watches ? Had a AD compliment me on the 212 couple days ago while also adding "we've just had one in of these" which made my heart sink a bit but he was just "lovely aren't they!" :bangin:

When I took it of to try on the bentley she picked it up to put it on the padding and took a closer look at it and said she was not familiar with that particular model, only with what they had in the case which was a base radiomir, 111h, 112h and a 050. This lady was a sales person and not a watch afficionodo and I am sure she did not notice the flaws that are glaring to us, paneristi's and nobody else.

This lady was a sales person and not a watch afficionodo and I am sure she did not notice the flaws that are glaring to us, paneristi's and nobody else.

I would say you just pointed the senseless race for the ultimate upgraded PAM :)

When I took it of to try on the bentley she picked it up to put it on the padding and took a closer look at it and said she was not familiar with that particular model, only with what they had in the case which was a base radiomir, 111h, 112h and a 050. This lady was a sales person and not a watch afficionodo and I am sure she did not notice the flaws that are glaring to us, paneristi's and nobody else.

I'm 80% sure you are wrong. She told you in a polite way that she knew what it was, and that she didn't intend to involve herself further in the matter as you could be a potentional customer. She had learned her lessons, you have not.

Never underestimate other people, you end up making a fool of yourself. I agree with 'retep' above, I really don't see any point in doing this, unless you want to harm our hobby.

jens

Why would you walk into an ad and confront them with a fake watch? I really don`t see any point in that it can only harm our little hobby imho.

A basic heuristic about humans is that we like to show off what we know. I’m not saying this judgmentally, It is true for myself also I admit. Because so many of us are passionate about watches, the obvious question comes up “how could you not know about watches?” I can understand the curiosity of walking into an AD, (in watches, the AD is the equivalent of the playboy mansion) and dealing with someone who gets to hang out here all day but ISN’T into it. It’s like we see a part of reality that the rest of the world misses. How can you NOT see the recessed pin, the poor lum? It is like watching a beautiful sunset and seeing those around you casually thinking that is only getting dark out. We perceive a part of reality that others don’t (Is Monday a good day to drink a bottle of Italian red?)

A basic heuristic about humans is that we like to show off what we know. I’m not saying this judgmentally, It is true for myself also I admit. Because so many of us are passionate about watches, the obvious question comes up “how could you not know about watches?” I can understand the curiosity of walking into an AD, (in watches, the AD is the equivalent of the playboy mansion) and dealing with someone who gets to hang out here all day but ISN’T into it. It’s like we see a part of reality that the rest of the world misses. How can you NOT see the recessed pin, the poor lum? It is like watching a beautiful sunset and seeing those around you casually thinking that is only getting dark out. We perceive a part of reality that others don’t (Is Monday a good day to drink a bottle of Italian red?)

But does it make me feel better knowing a woman who is not selected for her brains to work in that ad is missing that i`m wearing a rep?

Any day is a good day for a fine italian red.

I went into the AD to try on the breitling bentley because I just bought one from El last week and wanted to see how big it is on my wrist. I don't see how not taking my 029 off and putting it in my pocket would protect are hobby. Retep you act like I walked in there and said "hey everybody check out my watch". Not everybody who works with watches does it out of love and I know for a fact this lady does it for a paycheck. I am talking about a high profile jewelry store in Montgomery County MD (to those of you who don't know this is the land of the rich).

Did anyone else read the subject as 'Guinness' and was sadly disappointed upon entry to the thread? ;)

K.

"...the very water was eviparated and all the guenneses had met their exodus so that ought to show you what a pentschanjeuchy chap he was"

Yeah, I do that all the time now. Everything that looks like Guinness has about ten different meanings. Thanks to Mr. Joyce I can never look at that word the same again.

Sorry for the hijack,

More to the point -

I agree that we know way too much about this stuff. Chris hit it right on the head. We know alot more about the vagaries of this sport than most of the employees at the ADs and we are confused when we realize that it's only a job for most of them. Watchmakers...sure, they'll know because that is what they do. But sales clerks are at the top of their game to just know the names of the different models in the brands, much less the proper hand stack of a pepsi GMT or the dial spacing of a Speedy pro.

BTW, we all must take care not to bore civillians with all this stuff. I've got many a glassy-eyed response when I wax poetic about the fine points of a 3135 movement.

I had a similar experience this weekend. I went to the mall and went into the Bailey Banks and Biddle store to see if they happened to have any chrono PO in stock so I could drool. I was wearing my EL PAM111 and didn't think much about it because every place I've been before no one even knew the brand. Anyway, they didn't have the chrono PO in stock (just the regular ones) and I went over to see the Santos chrono they had in stock. A sales person behind another one of the counters asked me if that was a Panerai and I said yes it was, she said it was a very nice watch and I thanked her and after finishing looking at the Cartier walked out. Usually I take it off for them to look at, but I was in a little of a hurry, so not this time. It would have been fun to let her handle it because she actually knew the brand. I don't think I would have worn it into a Panerai AD, I'm not that brave, unless I know the salesperson really well. :)