When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the end of the availalibility of ETA movements here?

RWG Technical

I hate to be the sole dissenting voice here, but my understanding of the issue has always been that the supply will be cut off in 2009 (and that is still subject to change due to ongoing legal issues), not before. So the fact that movements & parts are in plentiful supply now is not especially reassuring over the long run. I suspect if you pose the same question on Jan 1 2009, the responses may be somewhat different. And, even then, I expect the larger parts houses, who do purchase in large quantities, should have supplies for a time even after ETA turns off the supply spigot. But I worry for the future of our hobby unless someone starts repping ETAs with similar quality goods.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Posting has relieved me in more way's than just the ETA movement Ziggy..!!!! the ETA movement seems secondary to see your post again :victory:

Happy New Year to you and yours... and thank you for your as alway's, valuable information and insight ...

I don't want to assume that we can order this with our watch servicing... but would that be a possibility or do we need to arrange a group buy on our own ??

thank you,

Lani

This summer I asked one of my suppliers directly on the phone:

"What happens after 2009 when ETA stops selling outside of Swatch? Do I have anything to worry about? "

The answer:

"Nothing, you will still be able to get all the ETA parts and movements you need..."

Since they are at the other end of the business, I have to put some faith in their statement.

If it's any consolation, I can still get parts for many 60 or even 100 year old movements, some long out of production. So with all the millions of ETA movements being produced every year, and the reassuring words from someone in a much better position than I am to know this stuff, I am not concerned.

Anyone want to give ole friendly "Bob" Frei a call and see what he says?? That should be interesting to say the least...

RG

Your Posting has relieved me in more way's than just the ETA movement Ziggy..!!!! the ETA movement seems secondary to see your post again :victory:

Happy New Year to you and yours... and thank you for your as alway's, valuable information and insight ...

I don't want to assume that we can order this with our watch servicing... but would that be a possibility or do we need to arrange a group buy on our own ??

thank you,

Lani

Happy New Year to you as well.

I am not going to be doing a group buy, not my area of interest and having tried this with parts in the past, and having had 80% of those committed disappear after the parts came in, no group buy again for me...actually I don't have the time to buy movements for others, just too time consuming.

RG

Well, I am glad that movements will be available to the trusted horologists, etc. And, i agree that the illusion of scarcity always makes something more desirable. I am sure that ETA is trying to also upscale the value of their brand.

I am glad that we will have access to movements as necessary but am still worried that prices are inevitably going to go up - so I will start hoarding some movements in anticipation.

BTW - Happy New Year, The Zigmeister. Great signature picture!

Aren't Swiss Sellita (eta clone) movements starting to replace eta movements in many of the lower end mass produced swiss automatics like Invicta ????

It is my understanding that the Sellita movements are at least mostly swiss made (enough to be legally called swiss made anyway) and are eta clone movements. Supposed to be less expensive.

Bought an Invicta Reserve diver with a Sellita COSC certified 26 jewel movement for a knock around watch.

Aren't Swiss Sellita (eta clone) movements starting to replace eta movements in many of the lower end mass produced swiss automatics like Invicta ????

On a related note, am I the only person who thinks Swatch's decision on ETA movements is a good thing for our community. It's encouraging other people to manufacture movements (both ETA clones and new movements) and hopefully add more competition.

Happy New Year to you as well.

I am not going to be doing a group buy, not my area of interest and having tried this with parts in the past, and having had 80% of those committed disappear after the parts came in, no group buy again for me...actually I don't have the time to buy movements for others, just too time consuming.

RG

Understand completely Z,.... just happy to see your post again

Lani

It is my understanding that the Sellita movements are at least mostly swiss made (enough to be legally called swiss made anyway) and are eta clone movements. Supposed to be less expensive.

Bought an Invicta Reserve diver with a Sellita COSC certified 26 jewel movement for a knock around watch.

Not just Invicta, but Oris, Anomino Polluce and Maurice Lacroix. In the August 2007 issue of International Watch, an article spotlighting Sellita and its "picking up where ETA leaves off" indicates that thier movements are based on sizes and standards already established by ETA. There is also note of Sellita treating all of thier customers equally, not just the big important groups. Not saying that Sellita would be actively supplying the rep makers of movements, but business is business, and if a large watch factory places a large order of movements??.. If I am not mistaken, TTK once offered a Omega SMP with a Sellita movement a while back. So who knows, in the future Sellita may be the swiss alternative to ETA in replacement movements for the hobbiest as well as manufacturer. More choice in the market place is not a bad thing. Does anyone know if the supply houses offer Sellita movements as of yet?

happy new year The Zigmeister!

This post puts my mind at ease. At least i know i can get my current movements serviced and parts are available. Thats good to know. thanks for the info!

dizz

Interesting.

Am I the only one who thinks that this old rumor about "ETA movements disappearing" has been just another excuse for the factories to drag up their prices?

I agree 100%...

this is just like oil...

people exaggerate chaos in the middle east which creates instability, then everybody panics...

results in higher oil prices...

it's all a gimmic from the sellers to squeeze more money from us consumers!!!

Interestingly the Sellita SW200 is also available on the market, priced at just under $100.

Although the SW200 replaces the 2824-2 in fit and function, sadly the parts are not interchangeable with the ETA models, so it can't be used as a parts source.

Anyone know what the word is on Time Zone regarding this topic? or have they even discussed it.

RG

Is it a drop-in replacement or do you need new hands/stem/dial?

I can double check with one I have in my spares bin, but I think it's drop in identical to the ETA 2824, hands, diameter, dial feet location, case clamps, stem etc... It's just the individual parts that don't fit the ETA model, overall it's the same.

RG

I can double check with one I have in my spares bin, but I think it's drop in identical to the ETA 2824, hands, diameter, dial feet location, case clamps, stem etc... It's just the individual parts that don't fit the ETA model, overall it's the same.

Fantastic. That means even in the worst nightmare ETA scenario, most of our needs are met.

Ziggy have you ever had a proper look at theSellita quality?

Yes I have had a good look at and serviced a few of them, I even have one in my spares bin. I thought I did a review on the SW200 at one time...certainly I have a load of pictures and comparison stuff that I took.

Quality is...well it seems to vary quite a bit... Visual quality seems fine, but for a brand new movement, I shouldn't have to replace a gear with an ETA one because the pinion is not staked on tight enough and the gear is spinning on itself... I was lucky in this case, as the ETA gear did fit, but 99% of the movement is not interchangeable with the ETA.

Come to think of it, I believe I had issues with every Sellita I have serviced, just minor things, but problems that affected the workings of the movement.

I am not a big fan for these reasons, compared to the A7750, the few Sellita's I have had in house, were all problematic.

RG

@The Zigmeister

i have similar info from my supplier. He told me also i should not worry about the availabilities of ETA movements/parts - only prices will go higher. ETA has stop only selling his ebauches to some companys. Some swiss companys (selitta, soprod) bought ETA ebauches and overwork them (decoration) and sold them for much higher price. ETA makes less profit on ebauches, but this companys makes high profit on decorated movements. And ETA want now sell also decorated movements and will make this profit for his own. Also will ETA accept customs orders from big watch brands and will build decorated movements special for this brands.

but this factoys like Soprod, Choisi and other have bought many ETA ebauches for the future. So will they have ETA movements available for many more years.

But otherwise will ETA stop the sale to small companys/factorys and it will be more difficult to get ETA movements for public. The prices will go automatical higher. ETA has a price increase of 8% in 2008 for Unitas "plain" movements and the distributors want additional 8% more. So we have here 16% higher prices on market for resellers. This resellers make the price additional 5% higher and the end-consumer pay finaly 23% more for a Unitas 6497. On other movements (2893-2, 7750 chrono) it will be much more as this 23% price increase.

This exsample is only for "plain" movements... and prices for decorated movements from Soprod, Choisi??? HORRIBLE PRICE INCREASE :black_eye: