When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Newly Modded MBW 1680

Martyd3

Just finished this last night. Mods include gen crown and tube, CG's shaved, lugs/endlinks drilled and gen spring bars added, smoothed the sharp edges on the case, gen crystal/crystal gasket, new pearl, modded clasp. I did all of the work myself. I am very happy with the results.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Skill? Not really ... it was really lots of trial and error. You should see my mistakes :D The hardest part was fitting the crown and tube. For anyone that is going to to this mod, I would recommend getting the Rolex tube installation tool. It will be money well spent! Shaving the CG's was a blast. I think there is almost an artistic quality to doing them. Look at lots of pics before you pick up the dremel.

Wow. I wish I had your skills.

Congratulations.

Cheers

Stephane

Great work!

If you're taking recommendations, I'll recommend you invest in a genuine insert. There's something about them that's hard to describe- when the light hits the insert, it gives off a matte charcoal type of sheen, and I believe it is because it has different physical properties than the aftermarket inserts that it adds so much to the appearance of the watch.

Am I crazy? It's possible, but when I swapped out the aftermarket insert on my SD for a gen from a vintage red sub, it completely 'made' the watch.

It looks like you could take off a little from the upper crown guard's outside edge...but that might just be the photo angle. Also, if you get a chance to add some revel nightcolor to the dial/hand markers, you'll be good to go...

very very nice!!!

I am in the process of working on two 1680's... collecting parts and waiting for them to arrive... The rolex 1680 is one of my favorite watches of all time. You did a VERY nice job on this one. I am jelous haha.

I cant wait to get the gen crown and tube in my first one. There are a couple guys here that do amazing dial work if you want to get that authentic 35 year old look. Have a look at stephanes signature to see what he did to his MBW 1665 dials if you want to go that route and take it to the next level, but i'd be happy with it the way it is.

Excellent work my friend!

dizz